PDA

View Full Version : Escher's imposible Steps...

MacDude
07-08-2004, 10:47 AM
I created a version of this a few years ago and to be honest it was rubbish. Heres my updated version.

Major hastel in getting it lined up properly. Can you spot the join?

FYI, Apart from the overall image size and colour, this is straight from lightwave. 6 hours 41 minis to render.

http://www.inf.brad.ac.uk/~artaylor/Gfx/LowRes/Up%20and%20Down.jpg

Exper
07-08-2004, 11:05 AM
Everything related to Escher is a masterpice!

Well done! :cool:

adrian
07-08-2004, 11:59 AM
Great model! (No I can't spot the join, any clues?)

Adrian.

Holger
07-08-2004, 12:21 PM
Great modeling!

One of the sides is shorter than the opposite, but I can't find the join. :)

Martin Adams
07-08-2004, 03:17 PM
Wow, that is truely a beautiful piece of work!

I've looked really hard and can't find the join. I can't get over how accurate this model is compared to the original drawing:
http://www.mcescher.com/Gallery/recogn-bmp/LW435.jpg

I did however notice that you've added another pillar on the bottom left.

Truely amazing.

riki
07-09-2004, 01:29 AM
Amazing stuff. Though I think it could have more impact if we could see the steps better. They tend to get a bit lost with all the traffic and detail in the handrail. Maybe it's just an issue of lighting to get more contrast?? Anyway great work.

Brett H.
07-09-2004, 06:38 PM
This is a really nice accomplishment. I've been an Escher fan for at least 25 years, and this is the best CG render of any of his work that I've seen. I agree about the contrast, it is a bit tough to see the stairs, but you've done an outstanding job on this.

Imagine ol' MC having the tools we have today. To think what wonders he would have come up with.

Steve Reeves
07-12-2004, 05:05 PM
Simply awesome.

Congratulations on a fine piece of work.

hrgiger
07-12-2004, 06:48 PM
Looks great. I love the blown out lighting. Very minority report.

hybrid2829
07-13-2004, 12:13 AM
the similarities between the model and the actual image are friggin flawless man. My jaw got stepped on when it was on the floor. Good friggin work.

3DBob
07-13-2004, 06:03 AM
RESPECT

3DBob

MacDude
07-16-2004, 02:45 AM
wow. I can't belive the response. Thanks!

riki, brett h. Yeah your right. I'ts difficult to spot things like that on your own work.

Martin Adams. Well spotted! Did you also notice that the apex of the lower roof is in the wrong place. Hey you try and model this. :D

hrgiger. minority report is where I got the idea for the lighting. check out my portfolio site for a Mag Lev anim. :)

http://www.inf.bradford.ac.uk/~artaylor

The join is at between the stairs at the top of the picture. I had to add a negative light and had reduced the diffuse value on some railings to get them to match up. I'll add some wire frames coz theres a lot more work gone in to this than you might think.

Thanks again for your comments.

p_de_clerck
07-21-2004, 12:27 AM
very nice indeed !! And the lighting adds up.
:D
greets p.