PDA

View Full Version : LW 8 Oversized Binder -- Recipe for Improvement

jevinstudios
07-08-2004, 09:12 AM
Well, if you're like me and found that the huge, cumbersome and heavy "LightWave 8 Reference Manual" binder (shipped from NewTek) slipped off your desk more than once, the pages tearing their holes, and just overall made carrying a manual from station-to-station a painful and clunky experience, here's a recipe for improvement. Have I become the M. Stewart (minus federal indictments) of the manual binding world? Judge for yourself (this will also work beautifully if you decide to print the pages from the manual PDF file to create your own books from scratch)....

http://www.jevin.com/graphics/Manuals.jpg

* Split the manual into 2 sections, Layout and Modeler

* Cut 2 presentation folder covers (front and back) to size, then 3-hole punch the covers

* Take the Layout pages and line the holes up with those on the folder covers, then "sew" twine or string through the holes, tightly tying into a small knot on the back (I repeated this twice, making a strong, tight binding). Repeat for the Modeler pages.

* Get some dark brown (or silver) duct tape, then cover the holes and string on the front, making a nice edge that is pulled down to cover as many of the paper edges on the spine as possible (pressing firmly to secure the tape seamlessly to the cover and page edges). Repeat on the back of the manual as well (when the remaining tape is pulled up over the spine, this will overlap the layer of tape from the front cover, making a solid, smooth binding cover over the entire book backing).

* Make a nice title image (for mine, I printed the "Modeler" and "Layout" title pages from the manual), then neatly cut with an X-acto knife and using rubber cement, paste on the front cover. Can even use your own kewl LightWave work on the cover, making yourself the star illustrator of your own LightWave Reference material!

Viola! You've got a custom-bound, nicely presented set of manuals that are easy to carry, will last longer than the pages in the binder, and fit beautifully on your bookshelf!

prospector
07-08-2004, 09:34 AM
HeHe...duct tape

OK Red Green

Duct Tape..HAHAHAHA

good idea tho

art
07-08-2004, 09:43 AM
for those who want to print the PDF manual, be aware that blank pages are removed from the pdf, which can make your page numbering inconsistent (if you care).

I tried to reinsert blank pages into the pdf, but got bored after page 150 or so.

Thanks for the good idea for binding. If I ever finish printing the PDF, lots of hole punching awaits for me :)

I though of screwing the pages together too, but I'd need screws with fairly flat head and nut + washers.

jevinstudios
07-08-2004, 09:50 AM
Excellent idea, Art!!

To make this fun and kewl, people should "think outside the book". Can use thin sheet metal with holes drilled and bound together with picture frame wire for a kewl industrial look, or can carefully cover the entire binding with fabric or nice japanese paper for a more subdued, softer feel. The possibilities are endless -- and for the first time in history, we're getting the opportunity to actually have a fun and creative time with the manual and not just the software....!

BTW, I'm on vacation this week, so I actually have time for this crap.

gjjackson
07-08-2004, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by art
for those who want to print the PDF manual, be aware that blank pages are removed from the pdf, which can make your page numbering inconsistent (if you care).

I tried to reinsert blank pages into the pdf, but got bored after page 150 or so.

Thanks for the good idea for binding. If I ever finish printing the PDF, lots of hole punching awaits for me :)

I though of screwing the pages together too, but I'd need screws with fairly flat head and nut + washers.

You can always buy 3 hole pre-punched paper. I use it all the time.

art
07-08-2004, 02:09 PM
That's an idea too. But the time it will take me to punch the holes is probably nothing compared to the time it will take me to print. For some reason the pdf prints quite slowly and it is not the problem with the printer (I use HP 4200 laserjet, quite fast) or the connection speed (lan)

I tried this.. I printed some pages to a file (.ps) and then redistilled to PDF. Interestingly, printing to a file also takes very long time (I have a decent machine) but the redistilled pdf prints much faster than the original.

I guess Im spending too much time investigating this PDF rather than READING it :)

jevinstudios
07-08-2004, 03:17 PM
Yeah -- this is probably a better idea for people that got the manual and found that it was in a huge (and I mean HUGE) 3 ring binder, filled to the rim with 1500 sheets of material..... Every time I opened it, I'd have to move everything off my desk to make room.

This binding job is a real dream -- have been reading the manual today, and find that now it's actually a pleasure (and it sits comfortably in my lap).

Chuck
07-08-2004, 03:39 PM
We're offering the binders for sale in our gear store, for those who'd like to split the book up and be able to add supplemental material to it.

http://www.newtek.com/buynow/gear/lw8binder.html

jevinstudios
07-08-2004, 04:12 PM
Now ya tell me!;)

I like my bound version better, tho -- will keep the paper's binder holes from tearing (which is inevitable when you use the crap out of the material, like I do....), and fits in my studio's bookshelves better. But, for those who wanna spend the extra buck for kewl NT gear, and are going to add lots of misc. stuff, like tutorials, etc., nice to know the extra binders are there for sale.....!

(Gotta admit, 2, that after shelling out the extra $100+ for the manual to begin with, this was a very affordable and cheap fix to the problem -- all the stuff I used was already on my shelves within reach of my workstation..... I guess all those "do-it-yourself" shows I watch on the weekends are really starting to sink in!)

tokyo drifter
07-08-2004, 05:17 PM
Why is there one GIANT manual? Why not have a Layout manual and a Modeler manual like what Jevin has created (great idea BTW), that way it wouldn't be so cumbersome.

I do like the idea of binders instead of books since you can easily keep the manual open on a certain page. I like to put pages in sheet protectors, that way none of the pages can rip out.

Silkrooster
07-08-2004, 10:24 PM
Binders are good for one more thing as well. Updates. If Newtek finds errors or wishes to improve the manual in any way. They can send the updated pages for you to replace.

Cman
07-08-2004, 10:36 PM
Originally posted by tokyo drifter
Why is there one GIANT manual? Why not have a Layout manual and a Modeler manual like what Jevin has created (great idea BTW), that way it wouldn't be so cumbersome.

It used to be split and people used to complain it was split. Now people complain it's one big one.

Can't please everyone. ..

riki
07-08-2004, 11:42 PM
Are the Binders available to purchase for overseas Users?

prospector
07-09-2004, 12:25 AM
went to Staples and they have those binders with split front and backs that have that metal band that goes thru the paper holes and it's suppose to get big enough for 5 inches of paper between them.
But I am ordering the manual tomorrow so I wanna see just how big it is before I do that (I got lots of desk space if I remove a cupla ashtrays:) )

colkai
07-09-2004, 03:40 AM
Originally posted by Cman
It used to be split and people used to complain it was split. Now people complain it's one big one.

Can't please everyone. ..

And there are some folks you'll never please, (my boss is one! ;) ).

True though, negativity is the "in thing" these days. :p

For me, probably, when the binders become available in the UK, or at least can be despatched to the UK, I'll more than likely order a couple, have all my tut PDFs in nice pretty folders. :D

Andrew Sweet
07-09-2004, 05:36 AM
The PDF works fine on my G4 laptop!!!, no giant binders here, and it's free..

A

art
07-09-2004, 06:49 AM
Originally posted by Silkrooster
Binders are good for one more thing as well. Updates. If Newtek finds errors or wishes to improve the manual in any way. They can send the updated pages for you to replace.

Unless you screw the pages together, instead of tying them together. You can alway re-bind it that way if neccesary :)

I think that is the way i'll bind my printed pdf

oh, and btw. sorry to bother everyone with this issue again. I printed my whole pdf to a post script file rather than directly to a printer (dont ask me why:) ) and it took ... only 12 hours to do it. .

tokyo drifter
07-09-2004, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by colkai
True though, negativity is the "in thing" these days. :p Ohh... I'll show YOU negativity!

-

jevinstudios
07-09-2004, 03:47 PM
HMMMMMMM, I didn't see this thread as a negative issue at all -- in fact, quite the opposite. Thought it would be kinda fun (I actually had really good time puttin' these books together)......

Oh, well -- I guess it's all in the perception.

colkai
07-10-2004, 02:28 AM
Originally posted by jevinstudios
HMMMMMMM, I didn't see this thread as a negative issue at all -- in fact, quite the opposite.

No, ya got me wrong bud, wasn't directing the negativity at you.
Just sayin' for those who want small, big is wrong and vice versa. The comment about negativity is that old adage, we all need something to complain about. ;)

If anything, I'd say you've been extremely positive about LW in the face of said negativity so apologies if it seemed I was gettin at ya, not my intent at all. :)

jevinstudios
07-10-2004, 08:23 AM
Oh, well -- I guess it's all in the perception.

And obviously, MY perception is wacked! Thanx for the cool comment, Colkai! (BTW) -- I've always been curious about your avatar and signature -- do you work hands-on with wildlife? If so, that sounds so coooool!

colkai
07-10-2004, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by jevinstudios
And obviously, MY perception is wacked! Thanx for the cool comment, Colkai! (BTW) -- I've always been curious about your avatar and signature -- do you work hands-on with wildlife? If so, that sounds so coooool!

Yo, no worries! :D
As to the wildlife, OT I know, but hey, you hit on my favourite thing in life.
Yup, was lucky enough to get involved with the centre a few years ago, now myself and my wife are trustees of the charity.
We do what we can, and we get to do promotional work where we go out and "meet the public" with a couple of birds, get 'em out of the mews in the morning, put 'em to bed an night. Also learning to do flying displays, get to fly the birds, it really has turned my life around and given me a real sense of purpose.
Nothing like it, it's awesome! :D

jevinstudios
07-10-2004, 12:06 PM
Wow, Colkai! You have my respect!

Signal to Noise
07-20-2004, 09:56 AM
Awesome tip, Jevin!

I just got my manual yesterday and the first thing I thought to myself was that these thin (paper thin!;) ) pages won't last long. The 1500+ pages barely fit into the binder. I was going to get some hole reinforcements for the pages but that would mean I'd need almost 4800 of them! Instead I think I will follow your method and create two booklets as well.

:)

jevinstudios
07-21-2004, 08:48 AM
I tell ya, it works great! I've been readin' this puppy constantly, and the binding trick holds up perfectly....

The binder idea was an interesting one, and I commend NewTek for "thinking outside the book" in coming up with an interesting alternative, but I just don't think it holds up in practical application, considering the immense size of the printed material. Really think they should consider printing and binding two books (a Layout and Modeler edition) for the next release of LightWave and the manual. Then, they can sell it as a two-volume book set.

art
08-02-2004, 08:04 PM
Here are the results of my crafts. I finally printed the whole thing. There is a short note in the manual saying that any reproduction in any form is prohibited without prior consent from NewTek. I really hope that NewTek does not mind. This manual is for my own use only.

Anyway, I was lucky to find some screws at local hardware store that fit perfectly in the punched holes. Actually, almost perfectly. I had to enlarge holes 0.5 inch deep into the manual (modeler and layout) in order for the nut to fit. I used a sharp drill and squeezed the paper between wooden pieces with some clamps.
I had to cut the screws to proper size. The results are shown below. It is not apparent on the photos, but the front and back covers are printed on a rather thick paper for sturdiness.

jevinstudios
08-03-2004, 06:20 AM
Very, VERY, cool, Art!!!!

art
08-03-2004, 06:55 AM
Thanks, I like your version too, especially the red covers.

Originally I planned to put the same thick paper I used for covers on the back edge (in form of the U shape with holes in proper places). I miscalculated the thickness of the manual and it didnt fit. I just wanted to get on with it and finish it, so I skipped the back edge covers altogether. I'll add them one day though, I can always unscrew the manuals :)

TOXIC-3D
09-19-2004, 10:08 PM
Hey Chuck...

You never mentioned that Newtek actually cut the cost of printing the manual by what must be close to "half" of what Newtek must have paid for the manuals for 7.0/5... If the new manual is setup & sold for 3 ring binder use...its a joke to be even selling it for the $100 that Newtek is asking for them. Up until a year ago I worked at book binding company that created "Perfect Bound" books which is what the previous version of the manuals were... Perfect binding is almost half the cost of producing the book to begin with especially witha box as thick as the manual. But if these new books are 3 ring binder designed, that means that nothing more is being done than loading up the "PDF" file that Newtek has graciously given us for our enjoyment and running the job through a "Docutech" machine... No more presses needed... Its basically a 1 man ( or woman) job... they load in the paper on one end, and take it out the other and then send it over to someone to drill the holes through and then shrinkwrap each book & box it up for delivery. One book at a time, as needed. And hell, we had Docutech machines a year ago that could have printed every single image with ease & perfect bound them... I can't even begin to imagine whats available & possible today... Oh, and 3 ring binders are a dime a dozen...

"Un'cool..."

Toxic'... :cool:

colkai
09-20-2004, 04:02 AM
Hey Chuck...
<<..BIG SNIP...>>
"Un'cool..."

Toxic'... :cool:

..Un-needed.....

TOXIC-3D
09-20-2004, 12:28 PM
..Un-needed.....

"What was Un-needed... You replying to my post..? Yeah, I agree... You shouldn't have wasted your time..."

Maybe you have the money pouring out of your wallet to spend a hundred bucks on Xerox (docutech prints) copies of a pdf file just to have to screw around with trying to keep all 1580'sh pages from falling all over the floor or having to spend more money on an attempt at trying to make the manual more managable... I for one don't... I use to use 3ds Max and then I decided to jump ship and take on Lightwave... Only I had my house, wife, 3 year ole daughter & her 1 year ole twin brothers... but I made an attempt at trying to get the money up for the $1500. price tag for 7.0. I finally purchased it and then some stupid son of a [email protected]#$H decides to do what they did on 911 "Here in the US" and the next thing I know I'm out the door without a job because the company I worked for at the time just happened to be an affiliate of Logan Airport... I've been out of work ever since... doing the watch the kids thing do to the fact that we need the medical insurance that my wifes job is thankfully paying 2/3's of the $12,498 dollars a year... Now I go over an upgrade to 8 at $495. and when I get it I realize that, hey,... were's the manual... "Oh yeah... sorry, its another $100. for a ream of paper with holes...and we'll even throw in a binder that wont support the ream that we sent you , but hey, we have extra binders "For Sale..." if you want to split the ream up...

I personnelly don't think anyone here on this thread is being Negative in any way... Most people want what they pay for,.. not to be surprized later on when you realize that its another $100. and when you recieve it you find that its nothing more than, as I said, a ream of paper with holes in it... No customer of Newtek should be having to deal with trying to manage keeping their manuals from falling all over the floor an or screwing around with having to "Print" pdf files so that they can see the "Color" that the manual is refering to when your reading through it.

So in the end,... I wasn't attempting to be a jerk... I've read through all the postings concerning the manual(s) and there are alot of people who "Aren't Being Negative", but airing their "Opinions" of an Un'Cool setup for a program thats as sweet as Lightwave is... and its not via this thread only... I've scanned through the Discussion forums and I've come across "several" people who have posted something pertaining to dissatisfaction when it comes to the manual, which leads to more people airing the dislikes about it. This isn't an isolated opinion...

"I'm done..."

userBrian
09-22-2004, 12:58 AM
You can also bind the pages using a hot glue gun. Make shure the pages are even out to the binding edge and that the glue is very hot so it seeps to all the edges. I did this to another 3D softwares' manual because the center 150 pages were actually upside down and backwards! I had to cut the binding glue off entirely and flip and reverse all the 150 pages and then I hot glued them. Worked fine, but then I soon got Lightwave... :eek: :o