PDA

View Full Version : Learning 3D Character Animation with Jeff Lew

Martin Adams
07-08-2004, 07:22 AM
Hey all,

I was wondering if anyone on here has experienced the Learning 3D Character Animation DVD by Jeff Lew (the Killer Bean guy) and applied it to LightWave?

I used to use Animation:Master before switching to LightWave, simply because I wanted polygon modelling to satisfy my game programming needs.

Anyway, since Jeff Lew's content is targeted for any package, the screen shots are however in Animation:Master. Has anyone found this to be a problem if they've seen them?

The trailer does look rather interesting however:
http://www.jefflew.com

Titus
07-08-2004, 11:41 AM
I have a review on my site (deathfall) but now it's down :mad: . Jeff Lew is a good animator and also a good mentor, the DVD works better for beginners but if you are a seasoned animator maybe you can learn a couple of tricks. My friend is animator in Cinesite and she enjoyed the DVD.

The course is not oriented to any software albeit he uses AM. What he teaches is not how to push buttons but concepts, that's the difference with other video courses and books, you don't have to buy it again with a new version of the software.

Jeff Lew made a very good work with the course, it is not boring and you don't see only a screen grab of the monitor all the time, I think it's a very professional work.

Martin Adams
07-08-2004, 01:10 PM
Thanks,

I'm definitely at the beginning stages of animation, probably even modelling as well. The best work Iíve produced in 3D is this, and please excuse that this was back in my Animation:Master days.
http://www.egallery.me.uk/images/cg/images/8.jpg

Once I get a few work projects out the way and get settled in my new job, Iím hoping I can really put my all into 3D. Iíve got a really exciting short that I want to work on but I want to walk before I can run.

I'll keep checking your site (provided it will be up again). The total for the DVD would be about £35 (including delivery to the UK) which seems like a bargain really.

I'm rather looking forward to Dan Ablan's Inside LightWave [8] book as well. According to his site, it has over 5 hours of video tutorials which I find are a fantastic way of learning :).

However, Amazon.co.uk says it wonít be out until Aug-31. The price is rather steep at £46.99 (about $87!). Amazon.com has it for only $40.79 ... life's not fair.

OMG ... I can order it from Amazon.com and have it shipped to the UK for only $12.98 extra (5-10 business days). That works out at only £29 in total. A big difference from £46.99!

... Well, I've just placed the order and I bet Amazon.co.uk will update their site and have it in stock and cheaper.

That's me thinking aloud.

firstsingle
07-09-2004, 09:20 AM
Hey Martin. I have a review on Jeff Lew's site. Check it out.
I learned a few things about Lightwave just by watching his DVD. Like how to use Constrainsts.
And a little about the graph editor.

Martin Adams
07-09-2004, 09:56 AM
Thanks firstsingle,

I read the review on CGNetworks.com and CGChannel.com and just couldn't resist having to order it. After all, itís a very bargain compared to other training videos.

I now await patiently for both this DVD and Inside LightWave [8] to be shipped from the US ... they better not get stuck in customs :eek:

firstsingle
07-09-2004, 10:20 AM
Hehe. Cool man.
Don't worry. You'll get them on time.
Positve thoughts bro:D