PDA

View Full Version : Lightwave will not start

panoz7
03-28-2003, 08:30 PM
I recently installed lightwave on my home machine and it will no longer start. When I try to open modeler or layout the computer's hour glass comes up for a few seconds and then one of those stupid "report this error to microsoft" boxes comes up. I have used lightwave on my computer before but only once before this box came up. Does lightwave require XP Pro. I am only running XP home and didn't know if that was the problem.

Thanks for your help in advanced,
Grif Friedman

hrgiger
03-28-2003, 09:55 PM
I'm running pro but I know it will work on an XP machine. I was using it on Win 98 before this one.

I hate to ask this but is this a LW version with Dongle or is it warez?

Have you tried re-installing LW yet?

panoz7
03-29-2003, 07:05 AM
I have reinstalled lightwave twice but it does the same thing after one use. I am not sure what you mean by "version with dongle or is it warez." I am new at lightwave and recently learned it at my school. I am using the education version provided to me by my school.

Thanks for your help

WCameron
03-29-2003, 08:15 AM
Sounds like the good old CFG File Corruption problem.

try deleting your lightwave cfg files (they shold probably be in
something like "documents and settings/administrator/"

then try opening lightwave again and see what happens.

- Will.

hrgiger
03-29-2003, 04:52 PM
The dongle is what you get when you buy Lightwave. It's a hardware lock that you install on the back of the computer.

Does the education version not have a dongle? I would think it would.

panoz7
03-30-2003, 08:13 AM
I assume it doesn't but considdering that I didn't even no it had one I will presume that that is what is wrong.

Thanks for the help,
Grif

Epita
03-30-2003, 12:33 PM
I think the education version my have a network dongle, so that anyone on the school network can use it, but not anyone else. Ask you IT staff about it, if there is then you may need to look elsewhere for a copy (ahem)

Epita

mattclary
03-31-2003, 03:19 PM
Does LightWave USE a network dongle???? If you are at home, without a dongle, you either have an illegal copy, or your legal copy ain't gonna work.

Epita
04-01-2003, 02:45 PM
Well, if you really want to get a copy of LW for home use, i know where to go (dont start)

Epita

mattclary
04-01-2003, 03:19 PM
Epita, you've made it abundantly clear in several posts that you are using a warez version of LightWave. Try to keep this yourself, it's rather annoying. If you feel compelled to help other people steal, do it through e-mail or instant messaging.

LightWave is one of the best investments I've ever made, even though I have never earned a penny using it.

Phil
04-02-2003, 04:26 AM
Possibly the school has provided Learning edition - check for the demo edition wording that should appear in the title bar of both layout and modeler.

A dongle will either be a purple USB key fob or a larger beige parallel port dongle. I'd be surprised if the school just handed those out to students, but just so you know what you are looking for.

As for the crashing problem, have a look on your system (use find files) for :

lwhub.cfg
lwext3.cfg
lw3.cfg
lwm3.cfg

Either trash them or move them to a different location (the original location of these files is operating system dependent) so that next time you start up lightwave, it will have to recreate them. If you want to re-add all your plugins, you'll need to scan the plugins folder. Check the manual for information about this (you should have access to a printed copy and there is also a PDF file for use on your computer). You'll also need to re-do any customisations you made to the interface.

Once you have these files back in order, you may want to back them up somewhere - it's then a simple matter to just copy them back if any future problems occur.

Rich
04-02-2003, 04:49 PM
As far as installation goes. I believe the dongle needs to be in during installation but once it is installed if you do not have a dongle in the machine then when Lightwave is loaded it will automatically default to demo mode.