PDA

View Full Version : Jet engine distortion effect?

Andrew Sweet
07-08-2004, 06:00 AM
Is there a way to create this effect? or do you need a plug?. I'm after the Jet engine distortion effect you get when viewing a missile from behind?

cheers

Andy

Karmacop
07-08-2004, 06:53 AM
Just use a transparent object with refraction and a fractal texture on the refraction channel. I guess you could use particles too?

dwburman
07-08-2004, 08:27 AM
Or you could add a transparent (refracting) object with an animated displacement map.

Either way should work. One thing you may want to consider is rendering out the sequence without the effect and bringing the sequence back in as a backdrop or on a front projected plane. Then you can animate the exhaust refractor. This will render quicker than rendering the refraction with all the 3d objects and lighting and stuff. This was a tip from an old Lightwave book that was a compilation of stuff from an old Lightwave Magazine. With today's faster CPUs the time saved by doing this may not be worth the extra effort.

Gordonpee
07-08-2004, 09:43 AM
Worley's Taft plugin collection has Heatwave for doing such things. Although I've never used it, so I really can't comment much.

Gordon

http://www.worley.com/taft/taft.html#toptaft

Andrew Sweet
07-09-2004, 06:52 AM
Cheers lads

I'll post the results

Andy

nerdyguy227
07-12-2004, 10:52 AM
I would use particals with a small refraction index and 100% transparensy

brap
07-12-2004, 03:48 PM
You could also do it post. A wavey distortion effect that you apply with either an object matte or a hand animated matte would work pretty well. This gives you a little more creative freedom to increase or decrease the amount of the effect without having to re-render everything.

cheers,

nerdyguy227
07-13-2004, 09:55 AM
here is a little 4 sec. video on my idea (it uses the DivX codec, get the free thing from www.divx.com )

lesterfoster
07-14-2004, 06:12 PM
Originally posted by nerdyguy227
here is a little 4 sec. video on my idea

I just checked out your animation. I couldn't see much. But I did see something. Could you change the background?

Carm3D
07-14-2004, 10:35 PM
Using LW Particles to generate an animated mask, it could probably be easily done with DFX+.

nerdyguy227
07-15-2004, 10:29 PM
Okay, I have done a few things so you will notice it better.

1.) Increaced refraction index

2.) Made mor contrast in the backdrop

3.) Increaced the antialising level to "Enhanced Extream"

Here you go:

Carm3D
07-15-2004, 11:55 PM
I did this little test with HV Sprites (no texture, very simple) and then brought it into DFX+. It was quick, painless and fun.

Steamy_Guy (http://www.carm3d.net/media/Steamy_Guy.MP4) (Quicktime v6)

(Would this be considered 'heart burn'?)

lesterfoster
07-16-2004, 06:13 PM
Originally posted by nerdyguy227
Okay, I have done a few things so you will notice it better.

1.) Increaced refraction index

2.) Made mor contrast in the backdrop

3.) Increaced the antialising level to "Enhanced Extream"

Here you go:

I have downloaded your heat wave2.zip file. It looks much more powerful.

But I still can not see the effect on the background.

Can you do it one more time with a textured background. Something like a checkerboard?

Also the edges of the effect are hard. Can you soften up the edges and fade the edges?:p

lesterfoster
07-16-2004, 06:26 PM
Originally posted by Carm3D
I did this little test with HV Sprites (no texture, very simple) and then brought it into DFX+. It was quick, painless and fun.

Steamy_Guy (http://www.carm3d.net/media/Steamy_Guy.MP4) (Quicktime v6)

(Would this be considered 'heart burn'?)

Just checked out your video. It looks like to me that you have just solved the global fuel shortage. What did you eat and or drink the night before?...:rolleyes: And the effects looks good to.:)

Carm3D
07-16-2004, 06:26 PM
> Also the edges of the effect are hard. Can you soften up the edges and fade the edges?

If he applied a transparency to the edges of his particles, you would see a double image. One of an uneffected background, and another that is refracted. This kind of effect would be best done as a post-process (like I did in DFX+).

nerdyguy227
07-17-2004, 10:22 AM
Originally posted by lesterfoster
I have downloaded your heat wave2.zip file. It looks much more powerful.

But I still can not see the effect on the background.

Can you do it one more time with a textured background. Something like a checkerboard?

Also the edges of the effect are hard. Can you soften up the edges and fade the edges?:p

sure, but because this is a test render, I am not doing antialising. It should be done in a few hours.

nerdyguy227
07-22-2004, 12:42 PM
Sorry but I can't find the scene.

Anyway I created it by making a partical emitter and all the particals have a refraction index.

It is very simple.

lesterfoster
07-25-2004, 03:43 AM
Particle emitters are something that I have no luck with so far.. Every time that I try to render sompthing, I see nothing.

I hope that my new book that I have ordered well help me. It is 1001 tips and tricks for lightwave. I am looking forward to getting the book in the next 2 or 3 days:)

riki
07-25-2004, 06:46 AM
Try this, a technique I saw on DVgarage (they have a video which goes into more detail)

Render your background in one pass. Then create a Particle Emitter, with Red and Green Partciles. Then in your compositing package, import the partciles and use them as a displacement map for your background. Add some blur to the pixels for a smoother effect. Lastly use the Red Channel to control Verticle Displacement and the green Horizontal. You can also use the particle pass to control a compound blur.

Carm3D
07-25-2004, 01:25 PM
That's how I did my little test.. But I just used one colour.

lesterfoster
07-25-2004, 09:41 PM
Originally posted by riki
Then in your compositing package, import the partciles and use them as a displacement map for your background.
Can I use my ToasterEDIT to do this with? I still do not understand as I still have had no success with particle emitters. Even the sample seense that came with LightWAVE. I hit render and I see nothing:confused:

Carm3D
07-25-2004, 09:44 PM
You have to tell LW how you want the particles to render first.. Either use them via HyperVoxels or.. I think there's a partigon thing where it just puts draws a dot for each particle.. Haven't tried that one yet myself.

lesterfoster
07-25-2004, 09:49 PM
Originally posted by Carm3D
Haven't tried that one yet myself.
Thanks, I think I well give it one more try tonight. It would be nice to have it work just once.:)

Carm3D
07-25-2004, 10:00 PM
If you're using HyperVoxels, I recommend using Viper to get quick previews of how you are rendering the 'voxels.