PDA

View Full Version : getting a TV screen to be the light source

3dgirl
07-07-2004, 03:36 PM
i have a seen with 6 TV's in it. I want the main light source to be the TV screens themselves. I've tried turning up the luminosity on the screens, but that just makes the image o the screen really bright and doesn't shed light on any of the surrounding areas.

I've also tried putting an area light (and all other types of light) where the screen is, but that doesn't seem to look right either, only shedding light on the floor and not on the surrounding TV.

help!!

pdrake
07-07-2004, 03:42 PM
radiosity is the only true way. other than that you'll have to fake it.

hope you have fprime.

BeeVee
07-07-2004, 03:47 PM
Try this: http://www.altyna.com/lw/specrefl.htm

B

3dgirl
07-07-2004, 08:26 PM
thanks guys! yeah- radiosity- forgot about that. Takes too long to render though. i figured out i could get a decent result by using glow- which u need to turn on under image processing- didn't know that!

that tutorial is exactly the result i'm after but i got about halfway through it before i put it in the "too hard" basket! pretty complex!!

John Fornasar
07-07-2004, 10:21 PM
Use the Image Sequences that you are showing on your TV's as projection images from lights in the TV's facing into the room.

With the right amount of intensity, falloff and exclusion, you'll get a good effect.

edit:
I forgot to add, I blurred the hell out of the sequence (otherwise you'll get the phony Hollywood "computer projecting text onto the actors forehead" effect...

after I did that, I realized an easier way was to play the animation on my monitor with all the lights out and just look at the glow on the furniture in the room. (try it with your TV). Depending on what is showing, you'll get soft color effects changing with each scene. In LW you can use the Graph Editor to envelope the light colors to "follow" the playback. It'll render super-fast.