PDA

View Full Version : An FPrime "tsunami"

theo
07-07-2004, 12:46 PM
Was talking to tech support at Worley Labs earlier this morning about Polk and during a discussion about FPrime the tech guy mentioned that the original FPrime is a "little wave" compared to the FPrime "tsunami" that is currently being developed. He said that he could say nothing more.

Hmmm sounds like we may be hit with another Worley Labs rendering fever guys. I wonder if shaders and volumetric rendering within FPrime are in the works right now. If this becomes a reality, rendering within Lightwave will leap years ahead of the competition as well as change the face of 3D possibly.

Cman
07-07-2004, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by theo
Was talking to tech support at Worley Labs earlier this morning about Polk and during a discussion about FPrime the tech guy mentioned that the original FPrime is a "little wave" compared to the FPrime "tsunami" that is currently being developed. He said that he could say nothing more.

Hmmm sounds like we may be hit with another Worley Labs rendering fever guys. I wonder if shaders and volumetric rendering within FPrime are in the works right now. If this becomes a reality, rendering within Lightwave will leap years ahead of the competition as well as change the face of 3D possibly.

I'll believe it when I see it.

comanche
07-07-2004, 01:12 PM
Let's catch up first ;)

Chris S. (Fez)
07-07-2004, 01:48 PM
That's exciting, thanks for sharing!

Volumetrics would be super cool but I think he should focus on multithreading, improved antialiasing and a hardcoded G2 connection (because Newtek development is so slow). I still favor the G2 workflow of being able to click on surfaces and keep different panels open.

retinajoy
07-07-2004, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by Chris S. (Fez)
... (because Newtek development is so slow).
I don't think so. LW8 is an excellent upgrade done is a short space of time considering when they hired the new team. I bet a pint that we will see leaps and bounds from Newtek and Worley within the next six months. Looking foward to FPrime 2.0 :cool: with LW 8.?

gjjackson
07-07-2004, 02:23 PM
I hope we don't have to pay for an upgrade, otherwise I should've waited. Although if it works with volumetrics etc it would be worth it. As it is it's definitely a big boost. Viper would then die a quick painless death.

js33
07-07-2004, 04:19 PM

Hey Theo,

That sounds good but I wonder what the time frame an update release is? Siggraph?

Cheers,
JS

GCL
07-08-2004, 08:16 AM
Originally posted by gjjackson
I hope we don't have to pay for an upgrade, otherwise I should've waited.

I hope for the same outcome. I purchased less than 6 months ago messiah:animate 4 and now need to shell out $200 for 5.
I read that the next upgrade will be free (work in progress) product. Let's hope so !

Muad'dib
07-08-2004, 05:23 PM
... I for one give Mr Worley the benefit of the doubt :)
After all he and his team came through with the goods before. When the initial vids came out (painfuly one by one) I still remember people saying ... "it won't do procedurals" ... "it couldn't possibly do radiosity at that speed". Well I'm just happy to sit & wait & see what else the LW President S.W. cooks up for us all :)

Wickster
07-08-2004, 06:59 PM
MAN! i'm glad i'm still saving up for FPrime (though still not halfway there)...i just hope that they don't jack up the price of their next release of FPrime or I'll be saving up forever.

hrgiger
07-08-2004, 07:01 PM
Originally posted by Muad'dib
... I for one give Mr Worley the benefit of the doubt :)
After all he and his team came through with the goods before. When the initial vids came out (painfuly one by one) I still remember people saying ... "it won't do procedurals" ... "it couldn't possibly do radiosity at that speed". Well I'm just happy to sit & wait & see what else the LW President S.W. cooks up for us all :)

Actually, the big thing I remember people saying was that it couldn't be a final renderer. Good to see they were very wrong.

CB_3D
07-11-2004, 07:51 AM
Hmm,the "wave" and "tsunami" comparison makes me think of easy network rendering. And volumetric rendering would be killer, just imagine using HD instance with FP. That would rock even more than G2 and Sas, IMHO.
Here´s hope.

Kvaalen
07-11-2004, 09:16 AM
Great news! Thanks for sharing. :)

cresshead
07-12-2004, 02:18 AM
could be that fprime 2 is a "full renderer" with hair/g2/fprime1.0/polk etc all built into it...no more lightwave render hooks needed...

we can dream of it eh?

then prime could connect to maya/xsi.....

Panikos
07-12-2004, 03:18 AM
Whatever Worley is doing, I trust him.
He is very capable, and he is doing his best. Only this, suffices me.

I have to admit, most of happiest days of my profesional life were due to Mr W.

:D

phrick
07-12-2004, 09:03 AM
In Worley & Newtek we trust.

FPrime has to be the coolest lightwave plug-in ever.
I bet the "next gen" FPrime will rock everybody's socks right off once again,
especially considering the tight cooperation with Newtek (that's not just a rumour, is it?).

theo
07-12-2004, 09:25 AM
Golly gee I hope I ain't a spreadin' a rumor here that'll end up bitin' my big toe later but the fellow I spoke with hinted that there will be no charge for the new version which I thought was really cool.

Who knows- maybe there is an SDK thing going on right now with the Newts and the Worls. Which may be the impetus for the next big thing with FPrime and who knows what the heck else.

We may be looking at the future Lightwave rendering engine.

Wickster
07-12-2004, 10:34 AM
is there a chance that newtek would incorporate the fprime engine as its render engine. i mean not to take anything from fprime...say fprime could still be a realtime engine and lightwave would still require you to press F9...just so i would still buy fprime and yet get a faster render with LW. just a thought.

UnCommonGrafx
07-12-2004, 12:33 PM
Wickster,
NO.

Though it would be nice if it were incorporated through the SDK as it's been said is needed.

Those who already own it, and know Worley's reputation, won't/can't participate in idle gossip. When the ***** hit's the fan, hopefully it'll be a tsunami type wind that'll blow all kinds of bits over the competition.

[That was just a nasty visual! ewww!]

Wickster
07-12-2004, 02:18 PM
When the ***** hit's the fan, hopefully it'll be a tsunami type wind that'll blow all kinds of bits over the competition.

nasty indeed! did you have to use those choice of words. anyway a guy can dream. but i'm not worried at all, if LW9 is rumored to be a complete rewrite i'm sure the next render engine would be untouchable. and if worley labs could develop this engine right now, imagine what they could do then...
:D hehehe thank goodness dreaming is free.

badllarma
07-12-2004, 03:49 PM
I hate to pee on peoples brews here but I know a beta tester that worked on FPrime (and still is) and they have not heard of anything that is being mentioned here :rolleyes:

Unless Newtek are actually working with Worsley and they are out of the loop so to speak.

Sorry guys but no point it getting over excited on something that may not even exist. :)

brap
07-12-2004, 03:52 PM
At the very least, Steve has said that multi-threading is in the works. That alone is worth chomping on the bit for!

theo
07-12-2004, 04:34 PM
badlarma- you're not peeing on my party bub. I am repeating what an employee at Worley's told me and I think that I would MUCH rather take that to the bank than what a beta-tester might say.

Beta-testers are a mixed bunch and you can't trust half of what comes out of their mouths anyways because of the gags they are under.

badllarma
07-12-2004, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by badllarma
Unless Newtek are actually working with Worsley and they are out of the loop so to speak.

this maybe the case then, but I have to say I'll believe it when I see it :)

smh
07-13-2004, 04:37 PM
This could help put some focus on the blur:

>>I am building very high res characters for3 D viewing and I
desperately
need to bake on Subsurface scattering, is this possible if not >>will
it be
in the near future.

Sorry, it's currently not possible and we're not sure if or when it
will be
supported in future versions of G2. Right now the main focus is on
FPrime.

>>Also I love Fprime is it possible to have some sort of integration
with
LW's own Baker ( so it renders like fprime and not through the
>>default
renderer), because it renders ridiculously slow especially with
Antialiasing
on.

It's a feature that's planned though we don't have any realistic idea
as to
when it might make it's way into FPrime at the moment.

>> And will you be incorparating G 2into Fprime also?

We plan to be have an FPrime version that will render G 2effects.
This
will require some changes to the LW's SDK, so we probably won't see
this
until the next LW update.

See it here: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/worleylabs/message/6230

Looks rather grim from this exchange. But hey, who knows...that point release may be just around the corner.

Fingers crossed,

-SMH

theo
07-13-2004, 04:59 PM
GRIM??!!! What?? G2 rendering with FPrime!! GRIM!!!!???

Man- as a G2er myself I would not call this GRIM smh.

Even if this is a year out bring this sucker on mamma.

smh
07-13-2004, 05:44 PM
"We plan to be have an FPrime version that will render G 2effects.
This will require some changes to the LW's SDK, so we probably won't see this
until the next LW update".

That's the sore point for me. I don't think we could see a major LW release by this SIGGRAPH...but I dearly hope I'm wrong. So sure as hell I'd love to see FPrime dance with G2, but that could still be a certain distance ahead.

Let's just wait and see folks...

-SMH

HowardM
07-13-2004, 06:01 PM
to feed your frenzy, hehe :p I have to say, most likely if anything there will be a 8.0b by Siggraph?
but I have NO idea.
im totally specualting!

but i am hoping and praying that Fprime works with Volumetrics one day!

theo
07-13-2004, 06:20 PM
Aaah Howard just get back to your dynamics crap and leave us alone.:D

WizCraker
07-13-2004, 09:37 PM
Unless I'm missing something the last time I checked not all dynamics worked with FPrime.

theo
07-13-2004, 10:20 PM
Just snapping Howard with a wet towel is all.

Grace
07-13-2004, 11:07 PM
Hi Theo...just to add weight to the possible G2/FPrime integration, when I was debating whether to get FPrime and/or G2, I emailed Steve Worley to ask which I should get. In addition to explaining each of the products strengths, he indicated that although G2 and FPrime don't play together yet, they (WL) were making it a priority to partner the two products...VERY exciting!!

Hervé
07-13-2004, 11:37 PM
it is a priority AFTER they make a new version of F_Prime....:D

I think Steve Worley is working with NT for now....

Emmanuel
07-14-2004, 11:46 AM
I don't wanna spoil the party, but to me anything less than a fully integrated suite is irrelevant.
I don't want to "hook in" G2, Sasquatch, Fprime, I want everything integrated and the ugly details beeing hidden under surface.
Too much clicking in LW, just one "Worley Render" button should be enough.

lasvideo
07-14-2004, 01:28 PM
I agree. I will be patient until it is fully intergrated and supports
HV, Shaders and stuff. Hooks into software I dont need is uesless
to me.

Hervé
07-14-2004, 11:46 PM
Do you hear Emmanuel and Lasvideo, NT ?

Hurry up, we need everything integrated.... so you could totally remove the LW renderer.... and kill the viper poison....

When is all that coming out...? one year, on month, any day?....:( ;)

My left little finger tells me soon.... and the right one tells me far far away...

HowardM
07-15-2004, 12:10 AM
Just snapping Howard with a wet towel is all.

hehe :D

omeone
07-15-2004, 02:22 AM
Sorry guys, Ive just sent in an FPrime bug report to W.L. so that should delay the next release of FPrime by at least another hour :D

For anyone interested, it seems that items parented to the camera doesn't get the positions reported to FPrime consistently (about 9 times out of 10 actually).
My problem scene involved HUD object swishes and whooshes, where the camrea's H & P was controlled by point at target.

Worley Labs dont seem to have come accross it before, they are not quite sure of the cause.

btw, those guys are still working insane hours in the lab :)

Panikos
07-15-2004, 04:56 AM
An hour ?

I'd say 10 seconds :D

theo
07-15-2004, 06:48 AM
I personally think that you guys with the mindet that FPrime (and friends) must be integrated or else are being a bit too stifling in terms of advancing the capabilities of FPrime.

I do not think for one second that we should draw the line in the sand at this stage at all concerning integration.

If anything, let the product advance dramatically and if that is at the cost of integration so be it, at least we are getting a software company pounding out some remarkably capable and forward-moving software.

Sure we would all love to see integration but if FPrime is advanced dramatically so what if you have to push a few extra buttons to get a powerful enhancement to what we have now.

Integration can come later as far as I am concerned.

lasvideo
07-15-2004, 10:55 AM
My position has been misinterpreted....What I meant to say was...I will use LW8 to the hilt and patiently look forward to the time when FPrime supports all of LW capabilities and rejoice when then happens. There is enough to keep me busy learning and using all the new features until that day.

wacom
07-15-2004, 12:23 PM
I don't care if I have to click ten new buttons to get to a render- if that only takes 10min and the render is balls fast I'll be happy.

A few clicks here...a few clicks there do add up, but radiosity and volumetric times add up faster.