PDA

View Full Version : Quicktime Transparent Background?

t_man13
07-07-2004, 10:29 AM
Anybody know if it's possible to render out a Quicktime animation with a transparent background?

The reason I'm asking, is that this animation is being imported into Flash, and needs to lay on top of other material. The background MUST be transparent.

I've already tried importing (into Flash) the individual frames that have the background transparent, but the resulting .swf file ends up being way too big. When I render out the animation as a QT with a sorenson3 compression, and import that into Flash, my .swf is WAY smaller than the one with the individual frames. Problem is, it renders with the background.

Anyone know a way around this?

wizlon
07-07-2004, 11:16 AM
Output - millions of colours+, this will include your alpha.

Mylenium
07-07-2004, 11:53 PM
I think there you will be having a large problem - the only included CoDecs that support embedded Alpha in QT are Animation and Uncompressed (+ Pixlet on Mac). There is no way to overcome this (You coulkd, however decrease the color palette to 16 colors - that will give you rather small files *grin*). My question is, why do you want to embed your video completely anyway? Wouldn't it be simpler to leave it as an external file?

Mylenium

t_man13
07-08-2004, 01:05 PM
I'm embedding it, because that's the only way I know to give the end user control over how it plays back. What I mean is, I've get a setup that allows the user to scrub through the timeline, as well as pause and play. If there's another way to do this, that'd be good to know.....

Mylenium
07-08-2004, 01:30 PM
Humho... that is indeed beyond Flash. If you had Director, you could do such things without much trouble (but of course with lots of overhead and limited cross platform compatibility). Have you tried other ways? I'm not really experienced with Flash, but I've read somewhere that it would work like a charm with PNG sequences... it keeps transparencies intact and compression isn't too bad, either. There is even a free tool that will re-compile your frames and build a global palette that can then be used for even more efficiency.

Mylenium