PDA

View Full Version : War-related 3D stuff

Hiraghm
03-28-2003, 05:27 PM
Surfed onto the NeHe OpenGL programming site NeHe Website (http://nehe.gamedev.net/) today, and caught this blurb in the recent news:

I wrote a program last night that I think is pretty cool... but it's way to big to upload to the site. It renders a semi-3d image of baghdad city using satellite images, and lets you fly through the city, tilt your view, and pan in and out. I will include it on the next batch of NeHe CD's... hopefully someone will upload it to their own site so others can grab a copy.

He's got a couple picture links of it in the news blurb too. I just thought some might be interested.

dglenn
03-28-2003, 08:31 PM
I do allot of models for one of my clients (the Department of the ARMY). I know that there is more 3D maps being done for the benefit of the media than for the ARMY at this time.

The ARMY has it's tried and tested tools out there that have worked well (I'll leave it at that).

FYI: The format of choice for the DOD is a format called Flight. It is a format that is ideal for simulations. Light Wave Can't export to Flight format, but you can save to 3dx and import it using Creator.
Maya does export to Flight format but you still have to add the functions that a simulator uses, you still have to use Creator.

Lamont
03-29-2003, 08:51 PM
The problem with OpenFlight data is that there are many versions of it. I deal with that format all the time, and it's a pain in the butt. But now we have in-house tools to deal with it.

dglenn
03-29-2003, 11:15 PM
If you think that it's hard keeping up with versions of Creator, try writing apps for it. I have to! It's a real pain. One of the reason's that we use it is that the network protocol (DIS) uses comment space in OpenFlight code space for animation. And you can't escape the need for LOD in simulation. It would still would be nice if someone would write an export plug-in for it.