PDA

View Full Version : What tools do I need

ohare03
07-06-2004, 09:30 PM
Hello everyone. I'm a super noob to this Lightwave 8. What kind of tools do I need to effectivly use this program? What about that mouse pad with the pen to draw with? Would that be helpful? What about other programs or apps? What apps can you use with Lightwave 8 to produce movies, game, grapics, etc.? What else would you suggest? Thanks for the help. BTW, where are some really good tutorials to help me get started?

Silkrooster
07-06-2004, 10:18 PM
At this point you should sit down and make a list of what you really want to do with Lightwave. Do you want to create graphics for yourself, make a little extra cash on the side, professionally start your own business, or to get ahead where you work.
Next you need to deside on what you want to create with Lightwave. Whether it is making logo's, Create animations to put in home movies, create DVD Menu effects, create special effects for a professional movie, create objects for a video game, create a cartoon, make a full length movie. As you can see the areas that Lightwave can be used are endless.
This will help you decide on how fast you want to learn Lightwave, how much your willing to spend on hardware and software as well as training materials.
Some web sites I recommend checking out are:
www.flay.com
http://members.shaw.ca/lightwavetutorials
www.3dgarage.com
www.splinegod.com
www.adobe.com
www.corel.com
www.maromedia.com
www.curiouslabs.com
www.daz.com
www.e-onsoftware.com
www.maxon.de
www.righthemisphere.com
www.pinniclesys.com
http://pixologic.com
www.wacom.com
www.renderosity.com
www.runtimedna.com

Don't forget to check out bookstores like www.amazon.com and do searches for books, video's and magazines.
Also on the front page of Newteks website is a link for keyframe magazine.
Hope this helps
Silkrooster

mattclary
07-07-2004, 01:57 PM
If you have LightWave and a computer, you are set. Everything else is extra credit. If you spend money on extras, get books or other training material specific to LightWave, then practice, practice, practice.

As to the use of a pen with LightWave, I've toyed with it and I hate it, but to each his own. I certainly wouldn't rush out and buy one if you don't already have one.

Dodgy
07-07-2004, 03:30 PM
I would suggest you also need some sort of painting program.

Adobe photoshop or photoshop elements (kind of PS lite) are both good.
www.adobe.com

Or something ike Paintshop Pro
www.jasc.com

or possibly Bodypaint3d
www.maxon.de

or deep paint3d
www.righthemisphere.com

or zbrush
http://pixologic.com/home/home.shtml

Are all worth checking out.

ohare03
07-07-2004, 07:38 PM
I would like to take the time and thank you guys for your feedback, it's all very useful. I'll be sure and check it all out. Thanks again.

ohare03
07-07-2004, 08:05 PM
i have adobe photoshop cs, will that work? What about VUE 4, how is that program?

Silkrooster
07-07-2004, 09:27 PM
Great, Photoshop is probably the next piece of software that LW users get. Photoshop is used mostly for creating textures for the objects created in LW. There are other uses for it as well like compositing rendered objects together, creating backgrounds to be placed in LW, etc. Photoshop is probably where you would use a touch tablet more than LW itself. As photoshop can be used for creating paintings, etc. which are normally easier with a pen then a mouse.
If you have Photoshop, other paint programs like bodypaint and deeppaint 3d are not really necessary. However they can be a little easier to visualize how the texture will be, since the texture is painted directly on the object it self vs. Photoshop which is a 2d program. So you only see a flat representation of the texture map while your creating it.
So Photoshop, deeppaint 3d and body paint are really a personal preference for which one that gets used.
Vue 4 - That program is designed for creating landscapes. Depending on whether you are using the standard version or the pro version. You can import and export LW objects. If you also have Mover 5 an add on product for Vue, you can also import animated Poser scenes. By combining LW and Poser with Vue, you can create some very nice animated outdoor scenes with characters from LW and Poser.