PDA

View Full Version : Humungous silly old triplane

cathuria
03-28-2003, 05:04 PM
I was inspired, after a fashion, by the Zeppelin-Staaken bomber of WWI. I grabbed the details from it and sort of mutated it into a farcical notion of an overinflated 1920's airliner.

I'll try for a photoreal in-flight image -- if I get really ambitious, an NPR image like an old advertisement would be snazzy, too.
And if anybody has any references to how planes of this era were actually wired up, I'd appreciate a clue.

mjroddy
03-28-2003, 05:23 PM
CLASSIC! Very cool.
My only aviation comments would be to check out other Period wheels (your's look a little thin compared to what I would expect) and your tail looks a little like someone designed it - rather than being designed for function.
Everything else looks just like I would envision a plane of that era. Made me smile.

Kuzey
03-28-2003, 05:29 PM
Man...that is one strange bird :)

I haven't seen the original designs but it seems to be in need of more engines...just to get it off the ground.

Great work and best of luck with the textures...that's going to be fun :D

Kuzey

hrgiger
03-28-2003, 05:32 PM
That looks cool, but yes, definately silly. Did that particular model ever fly?

cathuria
03-28-2003, 09:38 PM
Thanks, folks!

The tail may does seem a bit overstated -- The swoopy aspect of it, however, is taken directly from the original R-VI, although I went back to the progenitor model (VGO-1) for the 4 rudders.

More engines:eek:? It's got twelve -- how many more should I need?:) There's a pusher and a puller motor in each of the nacelles.

The original model I based this on (Zeppelin-Staaken R-VI) is a biplane bomber with just two nacelles (4 engines), but the wing span is only a fraction shorter than shown here.
Here's a pic:

lone
03-30-2003, 02:41 PM
it may be humongous, even a little silly, but it is definitely cool.