PDA

View Full Version : Some Switcher Suggestions...

kltv
07-06-2004, 08:18 PM
Well, we just used the Toaster for our first big live switch over the holiday weekend and it worked great! After working with it for hours on end for live concerts and the fireworks show, I have a few suggestions...

1. How about an RS-12 or RS-16 switcher control surface? The RS-8 is great and I don't think we'd have the toaster if it wasn't available, but I could use some more input selectors. I supplemented the RS-8 with a shuttle pro to allow me to preview inputs 9-12. It is real easy to go over 8 inputs with 5 or 6 cameras, a couple tape machines and a couple DDRs and CG. It would be nice to be able to put them in preview without having to grab for the mouse.

2. While I'm asking for more buttons... how about a Grass Valley style transition selection. I'd like to be able to select if I'm transitioning background, the keyer, or the DSK, or all three. I know I can't do that, but I'd like to. On a Grass Valley they have three buttons next to the T-bar that allow you to select which sources will change when you execute the transition. Again, I programmed two buttons on a Shuttle Pro to execute a transition of both the background source and the DSK, and one to do a take, but it would be nice if it were on the same control surface. I guess it would be a little weird since the background sources would be doing whatever effect was loaded and the DSK would just dissolve off, but I think it would still be helpful.

3. How about a seperate auto-transition speed control for the DSK? I'd like to be able to leave the auto-transition for Program/Preview at one speed and the DSK at another. Usually I'd leave the background transition auto speed at around one second, and the DSK at just 7 or 8 frames for lower third graphics.

4. I'm not sure this is possible with the way the toaster processes the video, but I'd like to be able to preview a chroma-key before it goes over the air. Right now if you click the button it immediately appears on the output. I know you can't switch from one live cam to another live-cam chromakeyed over another live source because it only processes two video sources. If you could go from a live cam to another live cam over a DDR that would be great. I guess you need an M/E do this or the ability to take to the preview source and the keyer at the same time.

5. I'd really love sound effects on transitions. I can see how this would be a problem since the transition effects are not a fixed duration. Could the switcher trigger a DDR to fire a sound effect when a transition is executed? I've built my effects with a certain speed in mind, so if I could leave my auto-transition speed the same a sound effect would sync up. (Also another reason for having a seperate DSK fader speed.) Some effects just call for a woosh or something.

6. I know this is in the works, but I missed not having a preview output to an external monitor. It would also be nice if you could set the Toaster Vision monitor for the DSK to show what the DSK will look live over your live source. That way you know that the alpha channel is showing through correctly.

7. How about a master fade-to-black? Or a Grass Valley style preset black? Not a big deal, just a thought.

That's all I can think of for now. Again, the toaster worked great and there is nothing like it for the money. Just some ideas to keep it growing!

Kris

essentricaudio
07-06-2004, 10:13 PM
1. How about an RS-12 or RS-16 switcher control surface?

I second that request! Even if there was a way to "add on" to the RS-8... without it being too cheezy.

PIZAZZ
07-07-2004, 07:51 AM
Originally posted by kltv
[B]1. How about an RS-12 or RS-16 switcher control surface? That has been a pretty popular request from some of the power users. With all the live shows we do, which is quite a few.... I have filled up a RS8 several times. Glad to see someone else is pushing the envelope.

2. While I'm asking for more buttons... how about a Grass Valley style transition selection. Isn't necessity the mother of invention?? Your solution of programming the ShuttlePro is exactly what we did.

3. How about a seperate auto-transition speed control for the DSK? That sure would be a useful thing at times. Not a biggie but definitely useful. Better then continually changing/twisting the little knob.

4. I'm not sure this is possible with the way the toaster processes the video, but I'd like to be able to preview a chroma-key before it goes over the air. As far as I know I believe this is coding limitation. Who knows what the future holds though.

5. I'd really love sound effects on transitions. I can see how this would be a problem since the transition effects are not a fixed duration. Could the switcher trigger a DDR to fire a sound effect when a transition is executed? I have a couple workaround ideas, I will get back with you after some testing.

6. I know this is in the works, but I missed not having a preview output to an external monitor. VERY TRUE!

It would also be nice if you could set the Toaster Vision monitor for the DSK to show what the DSK will look live over your live source. That way you know that the alpha channel is showing through correctly. This also would be a great thing. You definitely have spent some personal time with your VT

7. How about a master fade-to-black? Or a Grass Valley style preset black? Not a big deal, just a thought. That is SOOOOOOO Easy!!! Ctrl B does that already. Program that into your Shuttlepro and you have one button access.

Kris you really have some great ideas here. Keep plugging away at it and let me know if I can ever be of assistance.

SCS
07-07-2004, 11:22 AM
I wonder if this gizmo could be adapted to the toaster?
Too bad it's sooooo expensive...

http://www.globalstreams.com/products/cs-1000/

SCS
07-07-2004, 11:51 AM
So, I guess something like this is more practical...

http://www.xkeys.com/

PIZAZZ
07-07-2004, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by SCS
So, I guess something like this is more practical...

Been there doing that. The XKeys stuff is really cool but the quality of the one linked is wanting. The Jog/Shuttle does not work near as well as the ShuttlePro one.

We are toying around with the XKey Pro and Stick versions to come up with some alternative control interfaces.

Jim Capillo
07-07-2004, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by SCS
I wonder if this gizmo could be adapted to the toaster?
Too bad it's sooooo expensive...

http://www.globalstreams.com/products/cs-1000/

Ya right.... I could build another whole system for what those bandits want for that. :mad:

kltv
07-07-2004, 07:40 PM
I'm glad I'm not alone on some of these ideas!

Thanks for the CTRL+B suggestion. Now I just have to figure out which button to sacrifice on the ShuttlePro...

Kris

kltv
07-09-2004, 08:42 PM
We will be using the Toaster to switch (live to TV and stream to the internet) the 13-15 Year Old Babe Ruth World Series in August. I thought you guys might want to see the transition effects that need sound effects. Any chance it could happen before the end of August? By the way, I love being able to make my own transitions in After Effects and just import them into Aura. It works really well and really makes our shows shine! I can't attach an animation, so here is a still sequence.

Kris

PIZAZZ
07-10-2004, 08:51 AM
Really good stuff there Kris. Nice to see others using the potential of the VT.

Fox Sports watch out!!!! Kris is coming to town.