PDA

View Full Version : LightWave 8 Manual

wowens
07-06-2004, 07:45 PM
I just recieved my LightWave 8 manual. It's a D-ring binder housing over 1,500 pages of information. A "Getting Started Guide" by Timothy Albee and Steve Warner was also included. It looks like I have a bit of reading to do!

SLAYER
07-06-2004, 08:19 PM
Cool.
Mine should be here in two days.
Is the "Getting started Guide" what they were calling a tutorial manual?
Can you say what the tutorials are?

siproductions
07-06-2004, 09:42 PM
Can we see pictures?

Andrew Sweet
07-07-2004, 01:17 AM
PDF was 1500+ pages took a weekend to read!!! lol ;-), none of it sunk in tho :-L

colkai
07-07-2004, 02:38 AM
Originally posted by wowens
I just recieved my LightWave 8 manual. It's a D-ring binder housing over 1,500 pages of information.

Neat idea, thus allowing updated info to be put out as PDF's which we can print out and add to the binder.
Guess it's time for me to wander over to one-video to see if they are receiving manuals.
There goes another 65 quid! ;) edit: Ouch - make that 85 after vat & p&p

wowens
07-07-2004, 06:39 AM
The "Getting Started Guide" is based on Timothy Albee's "Essential LightWave 3D" book and covers some of the new features of LightWave 8. It's a nice added bonus to the package!

The D-ring binder is a great idea, but it's filled to capacity. Great for updates, but no room for additional information.

Chuck
07-07-2004, 10:51 AM
The "Getting Started Guide" is based on Timothy Albee's "Essential LightWave 3D" book and covers some of the new features of LightWave 8. It's a nice added bonus to the package!

The D-ring binder is a great idea, but it's filled to capacity. Great for updates, but no room for additional information.

We haven't added it to the sale page quite yet, but the binder will be available, so folks who want to split the current manual up between a couple of binders and print info to add into it will be able to order one.

Chuck
07-07-2004, 10:53 AM
Actually, it is there, in the NewTek Gear store:

http://www.newtek.com/buynow/gear/lw8binder.html

Andrew Sweet
07-07-2004, 10:57 AM
Does it differ much from the PDF?. One thing I really miss is any Tutorial files!!, would be nice if these were included in the printed manual are they?. Can someone who has the printed version please let me know what the difference is? thx. One thing I did notice was the PDF contained a lot of duplicate pages, and a fair few errors, but I'm not bothered!!.

Andy

wowens
07-07-2004, 12:08 PM
Chuck -- Thanks for the information. It's great that NewTek is providing a way to purchase additional binders. I'm very please with the overall package.

A Mejias
07-07-2004, 02:21 PM

When will the "Getting Started Guide" be available in PDF for download -- i.e. "electronic" form?

colkai
07-07-2004, 02:28 PM
According to the latest feedback from Newtek, no, it won't.
Rumor has it that this is due to some form of agreement on the part of the tutorial suppliers, but basically, if ya want it, ya gotta buy the manuals.

Otherwise, just pick up Dan Ablans Inside LW8 ;)

Or one of the other books on LW8 that are coming out, all good news for the wavers. :D

Kurtis
07-07-2004, 02:31 PM
Quote of Chuck from another thread:

Because our agreement with the publisher producing the tutorial manual precludes letting us provide it in electronic form. A longer version with additional tutorials will be available through retail booksellers.

Earl
07-07-2004, 03:49 PM
That's a nice looking binder!

colkai
07-08-2004, 02:11 AM
...But can you afford the reinforced bookcase that would be needed to take a shelf of these mommas? :p

riki
07-09-2004, 01:18 AM
Any chance of o/s users getting in on the binder action??

Whit
07-11-2004, 06:08 PM
I downloaded the manual pdf file. It looks good on-screen with the color graphics; but some of the images are hard to view in b/w when printed from my laser printer.

Is the printed version of the manual from Newtek in color?

--Whit