PDA

View Full Version : H.R Giger Tribute

MarkJTaylor
03-28-2003, 05:45 PM
An image done using Lightwave 7.5, in tribute to H.R Giger and his amazing creations. Thought I'd share it here. It's the first image completed in a series of three. The second is already well underway.

mjroddy
03-28-2003, 06:37 PM
Nice image. Looking forward to the other two!

hrgiger
03-28-2003, 06:42 PM
I can personally say that I'm a big fan. Can you tell?

MarkJTaylor
03-28-2003, 07:05 PM
Thanks everyone. And yes hrgiger, I figured you'd be a fan ;) The second image in the set is near completion, just finishing off surface work, tweaks to the lighting setup, oh and of course the render time to go. Thanks once again, your feedback is appreciated.

hrgiger
03-28-2003, 08:21 PM
Look forward to seeing it.

I once started carving my bed frame into an HRGigerish sort of design but never finished it. Now that I'm married, well, I don't think my wife would be too jazzed about that.

pixelranger
03-28-2003, 09:10 PM
I like the image and the composition. And the model Rocks!!
But I'm having this feeling that he has just brushed his teeth...
Is there a possibillity that you could make them a bit more yellowish? Keep'em coming!! :)

MarkJTaylor
03-28-2003, 09:16 PM
Thanks pixelranger, your comments as well as others are more than appreciated. And I agree they do look a little white. That was always somthing that stood out to me from the original Alien designs from giger. If you take a look; the teeth are so white in fact they have a 'silver' quality to them.

The second image in the set is almost complete (It features a nice head close up, and a full figure), I shall try your suggestion of staining the teeth a little and let you know how it goes.

Thank you once again.

And hrgiger, you carved your bed into a giger'ish design? Sounds wickedly cool. I want to purchase Giger's "The Birth Machine" and have it as a center peice in my house :D

Matt
03-29-2003, 06:11 AM
I love those movies (well the first two anyway!)

Looking nice!

I would like to suggest two things though:

1) The teeth: I think they need to be less, monster like, I know that sounds daft, but I don't remember them being that pronounced, maybe they're just too big.

Also aren't Aliens' teeth metal? They looked metal on the closeup
shots in the movie, but that could just be the saliva running down them! But I agree with pixelranger, they're too white!

2) The inner mouth: In the movie they only use the inner mouth
for attacking, they don't really walk around with it sticking out!

Personally I'd try pushing it back in, or do a close-up shot with it
coming right at the camera (maybe with motion blur to create the illusion of speed)

At the moment it looks like the Alien is eating a sausage! :)

But I think the lighting and body texture is looking great!

pixelranger
03-29-2003, 08:38 AM
Saliva! yeah, thats it! Add some saliva dripping ang haning between his upper and lower teeth.

And after Matt comented that the alien looks like he's eating sausage, I saw it too. Maybe if you point the extruding mouth a bit more downwards...

But as I said, I think that the model rocks!

MarkJTaylor
03-29-2003, 10:45 AM
Thankyou guys for the critisism, finally I've found a forum where I can post my work, where I get honest replies. What a fresh of breath air.

Ahhhh that's what it is. I knew I hated somthing about that inner mouth. It does look like he's gagging back on a sausage. hahaha, well im well almost ready to render the second image in the set, so I'll go back and make a few adjustments, I may pop that inner mouth inside, and close the aliens mouth. Oh and yes, Silverish looking teeth will be added.

And yes, plenty and plenty of saliva is being added.

Thank you once again for your help, its more than welcome, and honestly a fresh of breath air.

MarkJTaylor
03-29-2003, 04:08 PM
Ok heres the second image in the series. For now I'm putting the third image of the set on the back burner, due to another project in mind that feels a little fresher after two alien works in a row.

Well I hope you like it; you can see I took the various suggestions into mind, and personally I think they all worked and made this image turn out quite well. So thank you for your help everyone, its more than apprecated. Your comments / suggestions / critiques are always apprecated. Thank you

:D

lone
03-29-2003, 04:24 PM
sweet. any plans on trying to send them to GIGER? man, what i wouldn't do for a HARKONNEN chair...

MarkJTaylor
03-29-2003, 08:09 PM
I havn't actually thought about sending them to giger. Somthing seems a little wierd about re-creating Giger's creations, then sending them back to him :D

It was just a test to see if I could pick an advanced subject (I found modelling the alien to be pretty advanced, not the easiest shape/subject in the word) and see how close I could get. Thanks for your reply and suggestion, I always appreciate feedback!

mjroddy
03-29-2003, 08:10 PM
I'm not ususally one to comment on composition, but I think that it would be very cool (for this most recent shot) if the closeup alien would be looking toward the camera - as if these two are on the prowel and he just spotted us.
It would fill the frame out a bit more and add a touch of tention.
Just a thought.
REALLY nice images, though.

MarkJTaylor
03-29-2003, 08:16 PM
Excellent suggestion! It shows we think a like!

I had tried the head on that angle, however I quickly realized that since the subject is dark, when the head is tilted on an angle, it skews the shape of the head, to the point that the trademark "alien" head design, is lost. I was forced to either lighten the overall image and lose a little of the atmosphere, or keep the head parallel with the camera and retain the atmosphere and mood intact.

Thank you so much for your suggestion though, keep them comming, as they are appreciated and do help :)

CoMetX
03-29-2003, 11:00 PM
Hey, looks pretty good. The only thing that could be fixed is the texture used on the floor/walls, it looks almost out of place, or fake. I dunno, maybe model some of those boxes that look.. strange, that should make it look a bit more real. Also, wouldn't hanging some lights on the roof, have some broken or burnt out, but you could have a few working. Or you could have those lights that are red, like when ships are in distress or whatever, they turn those on... That would make it possible for the alien to be looking at the camera?

Anyway.. thats just my ideas.. Looks good either way, keep up the good work.

MarkJTaylor
03-30-2003, 12:36 PM
thank you for your feedback. I like your suggestion; so much in fact that earlier today I was playing around with your ideas. I added a few sci-fi'sh looking things to the background, however it seemed to clutter up the image. When rendered shadows fell in all the wrong places, blacking out the image, and the two dark figures. I found it pretty difficult to balance the image, with two large figures in the scene (aliens head, and full figured alien) then with adding more geometry to the room, it all went out of whack, with crazy shados, and ended up looking too cluttered.

I made just put a crazy bump map on the walls / floor ect and see how that turns out.

Thanks for your suggestions, they certainly made me re-think. I appreciate it.

CoMetX
03-30-2003, 01:57 PM
Hey, sounds good. What if you beveled in all those boxes on the floors and walls, like grates or something. That way it wouldn't cast shadows on other objects. I still think you need red lights. or some kind of style lights on the roof, that way the alien can be looking at us and it would also make it so we could see the fine details of the alien. Another idea is that you could have a flashlight on the ground or something and have the alien looking down at it. (have the flashlight shinning opposite the camera, that way the alien would be faces the camera) I dunno either way, it looks great.

MarkJTaylor
03-30-2003, 09:00 PM
Those are some really cool suggestion. I'll play around with adding some red warning lights bevelled walls etc, oh and that flashlight idea sounds really cool. I'll let you know how I go. I can't get back to it immediately though, I'm working on some animations for a paying client, however once they are done, I'll let you know how I go, and upload what I have to show for it.

Thanks for the suggestions and help!

CoMetX
03-31-2003, 01:24 AM
Hey, sounds good. Gotta keep making money ;) Anyway, i'll keep an eye on this thread. Cya later.

Epita
04-01-2003, 01:54 PM
wow, really good, second one is even better. Me i like the Predator more, he would kick any aliens *** all over the universe, but still really good work

Epita

MarkJTaylor
04-28-2003, 12:44 AM
I just may do the Predator. I'v Just been snowed in recently with other requirements and haven't had the time to finish up the thirst Alien image.

Also when the third Alien image is complete; and I can find some webspace. The Full Figured, possibly fully rigged alien will be free to download to the public. For those insterested.