PDA

View Full Version : Image mapping help!

HowardM
03-28-2003, 04:22 PM
Ok, can someone help me figure out how to map these stripes?
http://www.soccer.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Merchant_Id=1&Section_Id=50&pcount=&Product_Id=49683

there are 6 'swirls' that cover this ball...they dont connect, and each wrap about halfway around the ball....how in the heck would I go about mapping this? Its seems simple, make one swoosh, line it up with a spherical map, then rotate copies....but im not getting it to work!...the copies distort or warp when I rotate!
Is there a trick, either the size of the image map or the angles?
Im pulling my hair out because I know this should be easy to map!

Thanks!!!!

hrgiger
03-28-2003, 05:47 PM
Howard,

I've not tried this so take this for what it's worth but I know others have done it. You should make an endomorph of your ball. Unweld all the points. Flatten the ball so that all of the hexagons (or whatever shape makes up the individual tiles on a soccer ball are all laid flat and even. Use that to make a planar image map. You just want to make sure that the tiles that share the same "swoosh" are beside each other in the planar map. Then just take a screen shot of your endomorph, crop it to size in photoshop, and then you can autosize the textures.

HowardM
03-28-2003, 06:02 PM
Yeah, Menis UV trick....may work, but Ive got a dense subd ball...major pain to unwrap the obj....is there a reverse Spherize plugin Im forgetting about?

Im starting to think either my angle is wrong for the swoosh...or the newer ball isnt like a normal soccerball...I think the pentagons are smaller....which really is lame considering I modelled a perfectly good soccerball already!
:(
Thanks!

hrgiger
03-28-2003, 09:13 PM
Hey Howard, have you tried rotating the ball in modeler and using planar projection for all the individual pieces of the texure? Just a thought?

HowardM
03-28-2003, 09:47 PM
Thanks HG, ...the old soccerballs with the dark pentagons and thick lines was easy but cant do that with this new design!

Here is an example of my problem! Why does the back half stretch!?
I dont get why the texture doesnt just roll along the surface when I rotate it?
http://www.3dink.com/imageerror.jpg

Im using spherical mapping...Ill try cylindrical, but I doubt it will make a difference...
I need to get this to work so I can animate it!

Thanks!

hrgiger
03-28-2003, 10:40 PM
Are World Coordinates checked in the surface editor? I think you want to uncheck them. I mean that's what you're saying isn't it that the textures are moving when you rotate the ball.

HowardM
03-28-2003, 11:00 PM
no, of course i dont have WC on!
:)
no, im saying what the picture shows, the map looks fine from one side, but when you rotate the ball, you see the map is stretched!

kevman3d
03-28-2003, 11:31 PM
I'm thinking your original texture image may need some expanding, and that the stretching may be because your map is being stretched to wrap around the ball? The image map doesn't look large enough (like enough white) to wrap cleanly without distorting. (well, from a quick glance that is)

Remember that the poles (the cyclindrical top and bottom) will squeeze inwards, so that may be one cause of your distortion? (ie why part looks OK and the rest distorts as it gets squeezed near the poles?)

I'd try adding some more white space and seeing how it looks - Just my 0.2c worth... Which could be completely wrong, but I figured I'd take a stab! :)