PDA

View Full Version : Changing Poly selection color

ModelNewb
07-06-2004, 09:05 AM
I'm a complete newb and I admit it! I went to a friend here at work who has used LW for quite awhile and he didn't have the answer and wasn't sure it was possible. So, here's my question -

I was trying to learn some basics on a pre made boat model. The polys are yellow-white. When I select them, its darn near impossible to see the yellow select line with normal. Is there a way to change my selection color?

Regards,
Aaron R>

nerdyguy227
07-07-2004, 04:39 PM
You mean by selecting the polygons and pressing "q"?

edit: Sorry I misread it and posted something compleatly wrong

bloontz
07-07-2004, 04:58 PM
You can change the wirframe color for selected polys in LW8 in the info dialog.

ModelNewb
07-08-2004, 07:14 AM
I'm not trying to change the polygon itself. I'm trying to change the color of the selection outline. Its normally a yellowish color, with the polygon normal being dotted yellow. I want to use different colors.

Do I have to edit a config file manually?

Regards,
Aaron R>

Karmacop
07-08-2004, 08:12 AM
I don't think you can change the colour :(

ModelNewb
07-08-2004, 08:33 AM
Sniff sniff. I am sad. The reason I wanted to change it was I'm working on a model which has alot of lightly colored areas. Its difficult to see the selections I've made, since the colors tend to blend in a bit.

Nutters. Any way of asking for an enhancement in a future version?

Regards,
Aaron R>

Karmacop
07-08-2004, 08:51 AM
Yeah, it's fairly annoying. What some people do is make their models really weird colours and then use a texture map to make the model the right colour. For example model in smooth shaded mode with a contrasted colour, and then have a texture map on the surface that is the correct colour (even just a 1 pixel by 1 pixel image using planar projection will work) which you can vie by changing to textured mode.

Anyway, to make feature requests email [email protected] . Short and concise emails with a subject that doesn't look like spam are the best ;)

thekho
07-08-2004, 10:10 AM
Something like that?

ModelNewb
07-08-2004, 10:17 AM
YES! Thats exactly what I am trying to do/change/ask about.

I noticed that it isn't showing the normals, but maybe you turned them off for the pic?

What's the secret? Do I need money?

Regards,
Aaron R>

thekho
07-08-2004, 10:30 AM
Do what bloontz said :) which i did like that the above.

If you using LW 8. You have to change any mode to the Sketch mode Rendering Style in a viewport. And then you can change the wireframe colour by Detail> Polygons: Sketch Colour.

If you using LW 7.5. and you have no chance.

Karmacop
07-08-2004, 10:47 AM
I don't think you guys are reading his post .....

He wants the colour of selected points and polys to be a colour other than yellow. Changing the sketch colour only changes the colour of poly edges when they are unselected.

ModelNewb
07-08-2004, 11:00 AM
What you say is true Karmacop. Sigh...

Maybe I can get really drastic and try using a hexeditor to locate where in the program they use the RGB value for yellow!! :)

C'est la vie! I guess I'm stuck until Newtek puts in a config option.

They don't have options for setting the near and far clipping planes either do they?

Regards,
Aaron R>

Karmacop
07-08-2004, 11:06 AM
No. The clipping planes are based on how far you're zoomed in or out I'm fairly sure. I've never had too much problem with them though.

bloontz
07-08-2004, 11:44 AM
There is a setting for fixed near clip distance in the display options, it is handy when you need to zoom very close to an object and it gets clipped.

bloontz
07-08-2004, 12:11 PM
I realize it isn't what you want but if you change the wireframe color to a dark color like black and view your model in wirefrrame shade you can distinguish the selected polys better from the nonselected ones when the object color is light like yellow.