PDA

View Full Version : points count direction

czesiu
07-05-2004, 12:39 PM
Hi ebody,

I have three questions about points and polygons.

Does enybody know how to:

1. change points count direction in a polygon from for example
counterwise to clockwise or vice versa?

2. change the first point in a polygon?

3. move an object/polygon to by user desired position with regard to a specific point in this object?
That means the specific point should have the desired position when moved the object/polygon to a new place.

All ideas welcome, since I have no one.

Cheers
czesiu

HowardM
07-05-2004, 01:16 PM
look on Flay.com
there are a few of plugins that will do #3.
cant rem the name, but there is one that will allow you to have a background layer, and move a foreground layer that snaps to the backgrounds points...

there are also a few I believe to change point order, or you could probably do it in native modeler....ill leave that to the expert modelers to answer...

czesiu
07-05-2004, 01:20 PM
Hi HowardM,

Thanks for the tip I will look at that and see if it will help.

Cheers
czesiu

evenflcw
07-05-2004, 08:37 PM
"1.change points count direction in a polygon from for example
counterwise to clockwise or vice versa?"

That's the same as flipping (f) the polygon I believe.

"2. change the first point in a polygon?"

This is what all the "Spin"-plugins (Spin Quad, Spin Polygon Pair, Spin Edge) does, but on a minimum of two polygons. Unless you're working with tris, you could split the polygon first, spin the two resulting polygons, then merge them back together again.
If you'd like to be able to change the order on a single polygon in a more direct manner I think you might have to write that plugin yourself as I don't remember ever seeing one. Or I could perhaps write you one in lscript, but there might be complications getting a logical workflow as lscript can only recognize either a point or polygon selection at a time. But there might be a trick to bypass that.

"3. move an object/polygon to by user desired position with regard to a specific point in this object?
That means the specific point should have the desired position when moved the object/polygon to a new place."

If you can't manage to do what you want with the Snap Drag Tool using Connected Points setting, then I'm almost certain there are some free scripts/plugins available. If not, it shouldn't be to hard to script either.

czesiu
07-06-2004, 02:35 AM
Hi evenflcw,

Thanks a lot for your help and description of possible solutions.

Originally posted by evenflcw

That's the same as flipping (f) the polygon I believe.

Flipping polys, unfortunately, do not change the point order direction. The Flip tool plipps only the suface and is not applicable to the points selection.

[b]"2. change the first point in a polygon?"

This is what all the "Spin"-plugins (Spin Quad, Spin Polygon Pair, Spin Edge) does, but on a minimum of two polygons. Unless you're working with tris, you could split the polygon first, spin the two resulting polygons, then merge them back together again.
If you'd like to be able to change the order on a single polygon in a more direct manner I think you might have to write that plugin yourself as I don't remember ever seeing one. Or I could perhaps write you one in lscript, but there might be complications getting a logical workflow as lscript can only recognize either a point or polygon selection at a time. But there might be a trick to bypass that.

Spin -plugins will not do the job.
I have been tested Spin Polygon Pair and it showed that this tool only moves the common edge between different points of polygons each time I clicked on the "+" 0r "-" button.

"3. move an object/polygon to by user desired position with regard to a specific point in this object?
That means the specific point should have the desired position when moved the object/polygon to a new place."

Well. here I found the tool that help a lot, however Snap works quite fine too. The tool is called Snap_Line and works very fine.

If you can't manage to do what you want with the Snap Drag Tool using Connected Points setting, then I'm almost certain there are some free scripts/plugins available. If not, it shouldn't be to hard to script either.

It seem that I have solved my problem, even if partialy, maybe I will found some script out there that wll make what I need.

Thanks anyway for your try to helping me.

Cheers
czesiu