PDA

View Full Version : VT[3] Why can't I edit WMV and RM files

Marsroy
07-05-2004, 06:52 AM
In VT[2], I can drag WMV and/or RM files directly into the timeline of ToasterEdit, and edit them.

But, today I find that I can't load WMV and/or RM files into VT-Edit of my new VT[3]!

I have installed WindowsMedia9 player and encoder, and RealONE player. How can I solve this problem?

Same thing happened to the QuickTime MOV files in my new VT[3]...

Please HELP ME!

Thanks a lot!!:

confused:

Jim Capillo
07-05-2004, 08:00 AM
From what I remember, Real is a NO-NO on the VT. I won't even install it on my home computer...... puts too much extra crap on there. :mad:

bbeanan
07-05-2004, 08:24 AM
From what I have heard Microsoft has a new license agreement that will not allow any WMV files to be edited (it was the only way Microsoft would get support from the film industry) so it is not a Newtek issue but a Microsoft issue.

As for Real I would assume the same issue, but that I do not know.

PIZAZZ
07-05-2004, 12:18 PM
Brett is absolutely right. Thank you to Microsoft. yeah a real BIG Thank You Microsoft. Anything to get those royalties huh. I guess owning the OS on everyone's computer is not enough.

Marsroy
07-06-2004, 05:19 AM
What if I install an old version Microsoft WindowsMedia codec? I mean, the version before Microsoft signed the agreement.

I DO need to edit WMV format with my VT[3]...... Anyone has some good idea?

Plssssss......

PIZAZZ
07-06-2004, 08:27 AM
VT2 will if you still have that software. VT3 will NOT and most likely never will. It is NOT a Newtek thing, it IS a Microsoft issue.

mgrusin
07-06-2004, 11:14 AM
I DO need to edit WMV format with my VT[3]...... Anyone has some good idea?

I'd say convert your WMVs to something else, edit, and re-encode, but they generally won't let you do that either. Note that this is the whole concept behind WMV and DRM: the one thing you can do is watch it in WMP. But that's it.

A player called Media Player Classic has a "dub" mode which will convert some WMVs to more reasonable formats, but don't count on it to work on everything.

Otherwise, try your best to avoid WMV, Real, etc. as source materials. Even without DRM they are technically difficult to edit since they use multi-frame compression.

A shame, since VT once had a bright future as a streaming transmitter AND receiver. I hope Newtek looks into open alternatives, or maybe developing something on their own.

-MG.

djlithium
07-11-2004, 12:06 PM
I have a wonderful format for replacing MPEG style video streaming codecs, but I need some hardcore protocol (UDP/TCP) and wavelet coders to help me out with it. Any takers?

In the mean time, you can probably find some "under the counter" WMV to AVI conversion utilities out there that will also do RM. They will not typically work with files that have digital rights management locking enabled, which is the point. I just wish that if the WMV file was not locked, you could edit it.

It's not like macrovision was ever terribly hard to defeat.

jackz
07-12-2004, 07:59 PM
If you have MS PowerPoint Producer you can edit WMV clips (it's free).
Producer is designed to combine PowerPoint and Audio/Video into Internet Explorer website type presentations. It does require PowerPoint.

You can slice and dice, index and adding basic effects etc...

Also if you have Windows Media Encoder you can also cut Basic WMV files into smaller WMV files. Not exactly TED.

VT2 was "Neat" when you could edit and switch streaming video. Other then fooling with it, I never really had a need for the switching a buffered live internet stream, but I had a bit of fun demonstating it.

VR
Jack Z.

djlithium
07-13-2004, 12:42 AM
I did actually use this feature once doing a live broadcast where a "man on the street" was being shot with a camera that streamed WMV video . Very neat camera. JVC prototype I think using wireless 802.11b for transport over IP. Quality was excellent at 360x242 and I could switch directly to it with audio when we ran VT2...

Damd that was cool.

barahn
07-28-2004, 05:49 PM
So are we saying now we can't switch to the Internet through one of the inputs on VT3?

djlithium
07-28-2004, 06:06 PM
Correct.
I think. I haven't tried it in a while.
Doesn't that suck.

mgrusin
07-28-2004, 11:43 PM
The future isn't what it used to be. :(

-MG.

Edit: This isn't Newtek's fault, it's Microsoft's. :p

djlithium
07-29-2004, 12:20 AM
In reality it would be best to have taken the old VT2 software and done a VT-Edit transplant and called it VT3.

That and fixed the bugs in the overal program. Not to mention impliment all the stuff it says on the box to a working state.
But alas...

Jim_C
07-29-2004, 01:28 PM
Windows Movie Maker bundled free with every XP install is made for editing WMV's.
Easy enough to figure out. Fairly powerful.
And plenty cheesy if need be.

Jim

djlithium
07-29-2004, 03:18 PM
Like I have said a billion times before. NewTek, please make the call to MS in marketing, development, etc etc and track down a way to re-intergrate the ability to cut WMV files in VT3. Besides, with the new WM9 format supporting HD (plus SMPTE timecode and a bunch of other fantastic ideas), gee, looks like there could be a reason to do so!! Even if the price of the software and card has to go up to do it because of licensing.

rbartlett
07-30-2004, 02:57 AM
WMV isn't a good format to edit in. It just seems a bit bonkers that a native Windows AV format isn't navigatable on a Windows based editor.

AVI with the same payload, DiVX etc is similarly dire.

However many NLEs don't support WMV editing but had some support in earlier versions. I think this is a climb in to bed with M$ topic otherwise the maker gets a cease and desist letter.

WMV can be wrapped as AVI and passed as uncompressed without re-rendering at the file level (just in memory).

The advantage with converting WMV before the NLE is that there is often a desperate lack of I-frames in a WMV. So editing outside these boundaries is a fwd/bwd temporal frame calculation piece of processing.

Incidentally, microsoft protect the film industry by using digital rights management which the players have to license and be correctly programmed to get the AV out of those types of WMV.

Do you blame NewTek for not progressing the editing of a target format? I recommend the 3rd party work-arounds for media you wish to edit without DRM.

djlithium
07-30-2004, 04:30 AM
That's just the point.
I am not suggesting that VT3 be made to work with WMV files that are DRM protected. I am simply stating that there is no reason that NewTek and microsoft should not get in bed to make it possible for content creators to edit files that are not DRM protected.