PDA

View Full Version : Metalink problems?

Neilus
07-05-2004, 05:38 AM
I'm having difficulty in getting a Metalink Displacement to work, I've parented it to the object that is deforming but nothing is happening?

I'm trying to replicate the Swinging Rope Ladder, using IK on the ladder lattice, with Cloth FX, parenting the ladder object to it, applying MetaLink, and nothing happens?

The latice is on the first layer and the ladder object is on layer 2, having both in the same object shouldn't make a difference should it?

I've had Metalinks working before, anyone had a similar case?

Dodgy
07-05-2004, 06:01 AM
You have to have some kind of Fx calculated on the object you're deforming. Apply ClothFX and set Fix to <all> then calculate. Parent your object to your deforming object then add metalink, and it should follow the deforming object.

Neilus
07-05-2004, 06:51 AM
I've got the object as a child and cloth FX on the parent. I've managed to get both MetaLink and HardLink to work on previous examples.

Is there anything like "Enable Deform" that I may have turned off?

You mentioned "Fix" all in the Cloth FX, doesn't that tell the Cloth FX what part, points not to move?

Dodgy
07-05-2004, 07:54 AM
I wasn't sure you wanted clothFX to deform it. Only use Fix if you just wanted to get point data only out to metalink. If you wanted clothFX to deform your material, obviously don't use fix :)

Care to send me your scene?

Neilus
07-05-2004, 08:12 AM
I can do, should I post it up here, or to your email?

Thanks,

Neilus
07-05-2004, 08:41 AM
Dodge, I think I've sorted it.

I was deforming the bones from the parent object with IK Booster, I removed it from the custom object tab, and now the Metalink works on the child?

Neilus
07-05-2004, 08:46 AM
Aaaaaaarghhhh!

It's stopped working again:confused:

Dodgy
07-05-2004, 09:07 AM
LOL Okay, send it over :)

Neilus
07-05-2004, 09:36 AM
I've got it working again, I'll send you a version that didn't work. There's something a bit wrong with the parenting I think?

If you try and add a Hardlink you can't eidt the nodes or polys?

But if you link it to my collision object (layer3), change those edit values, then link it back to the low poly cloth object (layer1) and change the deform to a metalink it works?

Cheers for taking a look.

Neilus
07-05-2004, 09:41 AM
Ok, I think I've fixed it, removing the IK Booster seems to fix it, I'll mail you the scene anyway so you can take a look.