PDA

View Full Version : Unwrap2.p and SubD Surfaces

enggass
03-28-2003, 11:46 AM
Can someone give me a quick rundown on how to use Unwrap2.p on SubD surfaces? When I tried it, it gave me a texture map with thousands of TriPolys...
Hard to figure out what was what-Do you have to set the SubD level somwhere? A quick rundown of the process, would be greatly appreciated!
thanks all...

jkushwara
03-28-2003, 12:19 PM
Enggass,

Probably a dumb question but what was the subdivision level set to in your object info properties box in layout ? I'd guess that's where to control the subdivision level displayed in the unwrap2 render.
On a positive note- I hadn't realized that unwrap2 took subdivision of the polys into account. That would make a lot of sense being it's Layout based now, and would also be really helpfull.

enggass
03-28-2003, 12:50 PM
I'm not sure that it does take SubDs into account. This Plug and UV mapping is very new to me. I think my SubD level was 8 or 12 or something... At work now, but I'll check that when I get home. Thanks. How do people handle SubD surfaces and creating UV Maps? I would think that the map would get distorted going from non SubD to SubD. Any insight into this process, would help me greatly.

jkushwara
03-28-2003, 01:12 PM
That's probably the ticket... 8 to 10 is a pretty high setting for most models (modeler's level is set to 6 as a default and most model's I've seen render well at Layout's setting of 3), and would give you a TON of polys. Try something lower - depending on the complexity of the original mesh, I'd even go as low as 1 to 3 to get something more useable.

Being that unwrap2 is giving you tris, it's taking subdivision into account. I've been down this road before and found that UV's and templates created in modeler just don't reflect the subdivided render model accurately (and do create differences betwene the un subdivided template based map and subdivided mesh it's applied to). There was a post awhile ago that covered a layout based "Meni" style endomorph unwrap technique that addressed this problem, but it sounds like unwrap2 may also address it - though the endomorph "meni" approach still offers the best conrol IMHO.

Let me know if this all works out for you - and if anybody can point this thread to the layout based "meni" uv technique post I mentioned I'd appreciate it (my hardcopy is at home now) !

HowardM
03-28-2003, 06:09 PM
Menithings (http://www.menithings.com/main.php?action=how&how_id=7)

dbolto
03-29-2003, 10:47 PM
In regards to the last post to Menithings. How does he unwrap the geometry in modeler by rotating the geometry or what?