PDA

View Full Version : lightwave VS maya VS softimage ?

hopkins1
07-04-2004, 02:48 PM
Out of all the major 3d programs out there, which is the best for getting started on?

Lightwave 3d? Maya? Softimage? etc etc etc

evenflcw
07-04-2004, 03:21 PM
The one YOU feel most comfortable with.

Doran
07-04-2004, 06:59 PM
This could also mean the one that makes your pocket-book feel good is the best. :) Maya has been frightenly expensive in the past so has Softimage. Pick one and stick with it; you can study the products and try them out but once you make your choice you should make an all out attempt to master that package and not jump back and forth like a moderate.

Jumping around a lot leaves you with an incomplete picture of any 3D package.

Designer
07-04-2004, 10:18 PM
Getting start on? If by that you mean learning the rope of 3D, getting the basic principles, than I'd start with LW. LW is easier than the other two packages for most people to grasp at first, but no less powerful. Not to mention you don't have to sell your wife and babies to buy other package's higher cost and their technical support. I personally would try XSI once I can produce something decent on LW as both are text based interface, I prefer it than tiny Picasso-icon (Maya costs too much...and support ain't all free).

So my advice is stick with LW, and when you gets good, try other packages. Just don't take on more than you can chew when you get started.