PDA

View Full Version : propeller blur

monfoodoo
07-04-2004, 10:22 AM
whats the best way to get a prop blur on a still image,plane in flight. see pic thanks scott

mgrusin
07-04-2004, 10:47 AM
If it's just for a still, I'd try modelling a blurred propeller rather than using motion blur. This could be as simple as a semi-transparent circle (color it radially with the spinner parts / prop color), or an hourglass shape which will look more like a photo. Search the web for plane-to-plane shots, pick one you like, and model that.

Nice plane and background! Good luck! -MG.

WizCraker
07-04-2004, 01:21 PM
Or use vector blur for the propeller.

Doran
07-04-2004, 06:45 PM
What was your reference for this? I kind of feel like the props are too narrow.

monfoodoo
07-05-2004, 01:48 AM
mostly looking at ww1 plane images,no specs. the prop i made for a warehouse scene,so it,s really not the proper prop(as they say).the engine is sorta modeled from a WRight J5. as you can see they didn't use a chrome bullet nose cover.i suppose i'll take care of it after i get all the detail in on the plane.i also think the rear is a little outa scale.but most pictures skinny down pretty quick.
i worked on that prop blur for 4 hrs and nothing seemed to look right. photoshop got tired of seeing me.
the exhaust is my little addon,(to small).
thanks scott

mkiii
07-05-2004, 06:13 AM
If you do use vector blur, mix it with normal motion blur & use only small amounts otherwise the results will be a bit linear.

A real prop with blur combined with a disc textured with an alphad blurry prop textutre works quite well.

Alternatively, take your hi-res prop & fan out the shape so that it already has the properties of a blurred shape. Combine this with a decent amount of motion blur & the results look far better than an unmodified shape.

Bear in mind that the blurry prop image is a photographic artifact. It is not evident when looking at a spinning prop by eye, in which case a semi solid disc with no visible blades is the correct way to render it.

monfoodoo
07-06-2004, 07:30 AM
I decided to do the plane over,but thanks for the advice.i'll be working on that prop later.i'll be back. scott

toby
07-06-2004, 09:07 PM
Another reason to use a blurred polygon instead of geometry is render time. For a propellor to look good out of Lightwave you'd need maximum AA and dithered motion blur: it would probably take 3 times longer.