PDA

View Full Version : L.W.8 manual here!

Tiger
07-03-2004, 08:56 AM
Hi! Download it here!

http://www.newtek-europe.com/uk/support/download.html

Cutty
07-03-2004, 02:08 PM
Newtek US download doesn't seem to be functioning; not that anyone could tell! What do you do when the euro site say's "invalid Lightwave 8 serial number"?

I've tried CS but no response.

Know of any other sources for the manual? Do the resellers have them, do you know?

John Melvin
07-04-2004, 11:45 AM
I received my hard copy yeterday. Really big. Sorta unwieldy because of its size but I guess it will work.

John

daveythegravy73
07-05-2004, 02:35 AM
Hi,

I have tried to download the PDF manual from the US and Europe site, but no joy.

Cutty, I have the same problem with the Euro site not accepting my LW[8] serial No.

The US site askes me to enter my registration info, then takes me to a page that lists my license, but no PDF.

Can someone at Newtek plz fix this problem.

Best Wishes

daveythegravy

Norman
07-06-2004, 12:03 PM
On the page where your info is, there is the word 'Download' in blue. Click on that word and your download will start shortly. The word is on the left hand side of the screen around the third or fourth line down. Look carefully.

Signal to Noise
07-06-2004, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by John Melvin
I received my hard copy yeterday. Really big. Sorta unwieldy because of its size but I guess it will work.

John

Have you looked through it for typos like the ones in the pdf version? Example: "Moidel" for the Modeling chapter header.
Also, how are the screen grabs?

Hopefully I'll see my hardcopy soon.:)

John Melvin
07-06-2004, 12:20 PM
Have not seen any typos but have not read the entire manual. I am sure there are some there.

Only problem I have with it is that it is very difficult to page thru due to the size of it and the ring binder.

John

DavidT
08-01-2004, 07:53 PM
Howdy all,
I've just received my printed manual (in Australia), and there are way too many pages to fit into the supplied binder (pages run up the straight section of the binder and round onto the curved section of the rings, making it impossible to close the binder without ripping the pages out). I'd have to say that after a 3 month wait and A$159, I'm less than delighted.

ho hum,
David

art
08-02-2004, 07:43 AM
Originally posted by John Melvin
Only problem I have with it is that it is very difficult to page thru due to the size of it and the ring binder.

John

If you haven't already, look here for tips:

http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=25545&highlight=manual+binder

follejf
08-03-2004, 05:51 AM
And there are lots of errors in it. I found text that repeats itself pages later, with more information contained in the second section than the first. The printout quality is terrible, with pages that have toner missing from large sections. I also thought that for $110 it should have been a color printout since the only way to tell the difference between objects in the picture on page 1460 is to see the color variation. I'm dissapointed. Images showing selected points and polygons can't be understood from the hard copy, and pages showing requester contents can't be read either.

As far as content goes, I can't find information about the Content Manager. Both the In-Line help document and the LW[8] Manual state "NOTE The generic plug-in Content Manager, discussed later in this section, can be used to collect a scene's supporting files and ensure correct compliance with your content directory." Well, there is no further information in either manual, and it isn't fixed in the hard copy. I had to go back to the LW 7 manual to learn about the subject. I think I should get a refund!

Chuck
08-03-2004, 04:39 PM
If the quality of the printout is not acceptable, please contact Customer Services to arrange for a replacement. We want to make sure you get a good copy, and we need to provide feedback to our printer as well, when there are flawed copies.

Please be sure to let us know the specifics of any errors you find, and also of any sections where you feel you would like additional information or clarification. We want to make sure we address any such issues in the next revision of the manual. I will pass your current comments along to the documentation team.

As for color, that would have been cost-prohibitive. We would not likely have been able to provide the 300-page Getting Started Guide in color for just $100, let alone to provide the nearly 1500 page Reference Manual with 2900 illustrations at that price.

Chuck
08-03-2004, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by DavidT
Howdy all,
I've just received my printed manual (in Australia), and there are way too many pages to fit into the supplied binder (pages run up the straight section of the binder and round onto the curved section of the rings, making it impossible to close the binder without ripping the pages out). I'd have to say that after a 3 month wait and A$159, I'm less than delighted.

ho hum,
David

The binder is the largest we could find. Yes, we are packing into it the most complete, extensive and well-illustrated Reference Manual that we have ever created for LightWave. While the binder is full, I have not found that closing it necessarily tears pages. You could certainly split the manual into additional binders, and NewTek does make additional LightWave binders available if you wish to have your sections in matching binders.

ted
08-03-2004, 05:52 PM
While I haven't received my manual yet, I will say that I LOVE manuals in Binders.
Updates, personal notes and "Tips and Tricks" can be added where needed as opposed to having loose pages all over the place.
Thanks for the binder idea. Looks like there is so much good info that the multiple binder suggestion is a good alternative.