PDA

View Full Version : OT: Best Registry Cleaner Software?

Matt
07-03-2004, 08:50 AM
Hi all

The time has come to have a bit of a clean up on my hard drive from all the demos, shareware and freeware installed and removed in the past years.

Even with todays un-installers files are left all over the place!

I realise messing with the Registy isn't the best idea which is why I'm after the best, most OS legally written, safe registry cleaner out there, question is; which one do you trust?

Any recommendations?

Cheers
Matt

Titus
07-03-2004, 09:19 AM
Yup: back up projects, wipe hard disk, then reinstall windows and applications.

Repeat every six months.

Matt
07-03-2004, 09:41 AM
Thanks Titus, that is one (long winded) solution, but it didn't answer my question! ;)

Brett H.
07-03-2004, 01:01 PM
I recommend EasyCleaner by TonyArts. It's freeware, will clean your registry of all that detritus, and does alot more as well.

Get it here (http://personal.inet.fi/business/toniarts/ecleane.htm).

art
07-06-2004, 07:23 AM
I like to use regseeker. Perhaps it is not as advanced as other commercial software, but it does remove some unused registry entries and it is free:

http://www.snapfiles.com/get/regseeker.html

It has an option to clean registry from unused entries as well as option so scan for all nonexistent .exe entries in registry (it does full hard drive scan)
There is option to clean startup list as well as the list of installed apps.

Another useful feature that I like to use (and is actually the main reason someone wrote that program) is that you can search registry by a keyword (a program's name for example) and it will collect all entries with the keyword, which you can remove in one shot. Something not possible in standard regedit. You have to be careful with the manual search though as it can return entries you do not want to remove if inappropriate keyword is used (you can review list before deleting entries)

And finally.. you can run it without actually installing it. There is no setup.

I've used it quite many times and I can safely say that it has no spyware/adware/trojans of any kind if you are concerned.

P.S: Brett, I will try the one you use also :)

P.P.S: I tried EasyCleaner. It seems to be good. Try whichever you like or both, Matt