PDA

View Full Version : Tip Moving with IK Booster?

Mipmap
07-02-2004, 10:02 PM
One nice thing about IK Booster seems to be being able to grab the tips of bones in the perspective view to have a nice way of setting rotations.

Now, is it possible to be able to apply IK Booster in a way where I can have a character with FK arms and IK goal legs, but be able to grab the tips of bones to move knees and elbows? Say I lower the hips to have the character crouch, and the IK bends the legs and keeps the feet on the floor.

Would I be able to have IK Booster let be grab the knee and just move them outwards?

Or with FK arms be able to have the shoulder and wrist stay in place while I grab the elbow and move its position?

These are simple things that I really loved about working with Hash long ago, but I can't seem to figure out how to do it in Lightwave. I thought I just about had it for the elbows, but when moving an elbow it ended up grabbing the whole skeleton and moving it around like a rag doll even though the chain was set to stop at the shoulders. :confused:

SEMIRO
07-03-2004, 02:46 AM
i think your problem is that you didnt apply "ikstop" to the tops of the limbs...right click on the top end of the upper arm bone an click ikstop..what this does is only allows the arm to move if you move the arm...in other word if you grab the characters hand and move it about only the arm moves rather than movine the whole skeleton...if you need anymore help with rigging in lightwave using ikboost just ask..

Mipmap
07-03-2004, 08:41 AM
I have a rig all set up how I want it. All except what I was trying to get at above.

Right now I can grab the hand with IK Booster and move it around, and the rest of the arm will follow, which is good. However, if I grab the elbow and move that, the hand and forearm will hold their current rotation and will follow as well.

What I would like is to have the hand stay in place when I move the elbow. That way I could do something like dragging the arms down to position the hands on the character's hips, and then just grab the elbows and pull them out to the side, keeping the hand on the hips.

I've tried using the fix function on the hands, but that doesn't seem to have any effect.