PDA

View Full Version : LW Renders: Which codec is best for PC users?

stardial
07-01-2004, 03:58 PM
Hi all,
I'm teaching a LightWave 3D course to middle school kids as part of a summer arts program. We're in a Mac Lab, and using LW 7.5 on eMacs. So the output renders are in the Quicktime format.

But for the kids who want to take their animations home on CD and play them on a Windows PC, what codec do I use for them? Cinepac looks miserable and makes the gradients appear all banded. Is there a setting for that codec I haven't used? As for the Mac users, I use the Sorenson 3 codec. But if there is a better one, I'd love to know. The reason I am compressing them is so the movies can run off a CD without hiccups.

I need an answer by tomorrow's class, so if you see this message and can help advise me, please chime in.

Thanks!

retinajoy
07-06-2004, 04:15 AM
This is a late reply, but I think using sorenson is okay as a lot of PCs have QT on anyway.

The best way is to render out as sequenced images, then use an editing program to convert those frames into desired video format. MPEG is good enough quality for what you are doing and works on both platforms, and so I recommend that.

Lukesutherland
07-06-2004, 06:27 PM
mpeg1 as mentioned

but my favourite is Indeo 5.1 (avi codec)