PDA

View Full Version : How to do this text

Karen
03-28-2003, 08:01 AM
http://www.thebombcast.plus.com/images/EFR.logo.blank.gif

It's a disc extruded along a text, but I always found LW quite "stupid" about this feature.
I can't select the disc and the TXT in background and just extrude it.
I can't use curves because I need straight lines (how would you extrude a disc along a square?).
Please help.

ivanjs
03-28-2003, 08:56 AM
Is this what you're talking about? Created the shape in illustrator, brought it into modeler, rebuilt the polygon so it had a slight gap, did a rail extrude with a circle, rejoined the gap.

John
http://homepage.mac.com/johnselvia/

Karen
03-28-2003, 09:36 AM
Yes, but I don't have Illustrator :-)
I'm trying with a letter (K).
1) I used "txt" tool to add the letter.
2) I selected the points and made "Make Closed Curve"
3) I used "Rail EXtrude" with 12 Uniform Knots (one for each point)
4) This is the (crappy) result:

JulianW
03-28-2003, 10:56 AM
Hi,

you caught me on a devious and cunning day when I happened to drop by the forum.. I've found a way to do this for you, it isn't too pretty but it does work.

1) Create your text as flat n-sided polys using the Text tool. - I'll use 1m tall letters in the example (A 'K' in Arial Black facing the Y axis).
2) Copy the text into a spare layer so you have two instances.
3) Select the polygon and bevel it with an inset of -30mm, shift of 0.
4) Delete the polygon and flip the remaining ones.

You'll now have an outline of the letter which is 30mm wide.

5) Switch to the second layer.
6) Bevel this version with an inset of +20mm, shift of 0.
7) Kill all polys in the layer with 4 points.
8) Extrude the remaining poly downwards a bit, then move it up so it stradles the y=0 plane.
9) Select all polys with 4 points (the edges)
10) bevel these out with a shift of 80mm (inset of 0)
11) switch to the other layer and put the one we were just working on in the background.
12) Use the Solid Drill tool in Slice mode.
13) Extrude the shape down by 30mm.

You should now have an outline with buffered edges and a square cross section. You can either convert it to subpatches or use Subdivide Metaform to get you a near enough curcular cross section.

Hope you can follow that lot ;)

JW.

ivanjs
03-28-2003, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by Karen
Yes, but I don't have Illustrator :-)
I'm trying with a letter (K).
1) I used "txt" tool to add the letter.
2) I selected the points and made "Make Closed Curve"
3) I used "Rail EXtrude" with 12 Uniform Knots (one for each point)
4) This is the (crappy) result:

Do you have Photoshop? You can draw a path in Photoshop and export the paths for illustrator (which you don't need), then import using modeler's import EPSF.

John

Karen
03-28-2003, 02:54 PM
Ok, thanks a lot. I'm going out now (it's friday after all), I'll try these solutions tomorrow.
Anyway don't you think that a program like LW should have an easier way to manage this?
I remember that many years ago I did something like that with 3DS dos version and it was much easier (just text and the shape to extrude). This crop comes from an image made in 06/11/1993!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hunter
03-28-2003, 04:12 PM
Maybe I'm not seeing something, but I tried it and it worked. Take the curve from your example made in LW (by the way the bezier tool in LW is the same as PS or ILL.) and select the upper right point and hit unweld. ctr+u. Now place the shape to extrude over those points and at an angle appropriate to the curve on another layer and put your curve in the background and hit rail extrude. leave the settings at automatic and check oriented, you should get this.

hunter
03-28-2003, 04:32 PM
:o oooooh, you want straight lines...
You just add a couple more points to your curve at the corners.

Karen
03-28-2003, 05:36 PM
I just came back home. Nice solution this one too... Funny to see so much different approaches to get the same result.

ivanjs
03-28-2003, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by hunter
Maybe I'm not seeing something, but I tried it and it worked. Take the curve from your example made in LW (by the way the bezier tool in LW is the same as PS or ILL.)

By the way, the bezier tool is SIMILAR but doesn't have the same capability as Ill or PS. Besides, I was talking about TYPING the words in Illustrator and converting to outlines. MUCH MUCH easier than drawing each letter (look how many she has!!)

But the point is moot since she doesn't have it I spose.
John

JDaniel
03-29-2003, 12:17 AM
Here's a quick way. Bevel text w/ no shift and a slight negative bevel. Delete the inner poly. Extrude remaining outer polys. Then knife or bandsaw where you need to sharpen corners. Hit tab.:)

Karen
03-29-2003, 04:58 AM
I found another solution, that gives a good control and works on all the TXT at the same time.
Just make the shape you want to extrude and put it in background, then use this like a guide for beveling the front face of the text. Then a mirror on Z-plane (if the shape is simmetrical), merge point and the TXT is there.

Halsu
04-13-2003, 05:02 AM
This was done with Q-bevel from my modpak:

http://www.kolumbus.fi/erkki.halkka/modpak/

If i didn't have to clean up the original text just a little (got some bevel errors there originally), making this would have taken roughly 10 seconds..

Now it took a few minutes ;-)

riki
07-15-2003, 12:25 AM
The popups with Modpak are too annoying. After I mess about with the installation process and long delays waiting for each dialogue window my interest dissapears very quickly and I never really get a chance to see what the tools can do.

riki
07-15-2003, 12:31 AM
Also I had issues trying to find the Plugins, I found one version installed in my 'LW Programs' folder and another in my 'Control Panels' folder. Very annoying