PDA

View Full Version : Workshop

Scott Wendler
07-01-2004, 11:30 AM
Image I've been working on for awile. I think I'm done

adrian
07-02-2004, 02:14 AM
I like it. There's lots going on there. I'm not sure about the surface of the glass though....

Adrian.

gazmon
07-02-2004, 02:48 AM
hiya
yep, looking really good. I agree with the magnifying glass surface-looks like some kind of fuzzy photoshop filter. The only other thing I noticed was maybe the thumbnail would look more real if it had a crescent shape image mapped on it (if that makes sense).
looking great tho
Gaz

Scott Wendler
07-02-2004, 09:57 AM
Thanks. The glass was made in lightwave. I think i need to work on it more. I need to figure out what's making that rough texture effect.

miso popovic
07-02-2004, 12:19 PM
all in all not bad, but when you are working on so much things in one scene IMHO it is difficult do get that great look in your final render. I would (if you still have the will :) ) work a little more on the texturing and lighting. Have you used radiosity in this shoot?

etobiason
07-02-2004, 12:50 PM
I think it's cool, I also noticed the bump on the magnifying glass. I don't think you need a prcedural bump. At most, a couple of isolated scratches applied with an image map would do.

I also think a radiosity render would be cool. Lots of stuff for the light to interact with.

-e

Scott Wendler
07-02-2004, 02:18 PM
I will go back and try another render using radiosity. I will also drop the bump on the glass.

gazmon
07-03-2004, 11:04 AM
cool don't forget to post a new image. Forgot to say that I really like the skin texture esp. hairs on back of hand.
Gaz

Scott Wendler
07-04-2004, 06:52 AM
New image using radiosity.

UnCommonGrafx
07-04-2004, 07:58 AM
Nice and busy!! I like.

That magnifying glass is going to be the thing you come to hate. ;) It really needs some refraction to 'sell' it. Right now, it looks like you have a magnifying FRAME and it's something that's on the list to be fixed. ;)

If that radiosity render wasn't painful, turn on trace refraction and set up an overnight render.

Nice.

Bliz
07-04-2004, 01:07 PM
Yeah the glass needs some thickness to it. Have you actually modelled it life-like i.e. with a bulge in the middle?

Also give the glass a slight greeny-blue tint. Thick glass has this colour (look at the edge of a thick piece of glass to see what I mean.

Compositionally - maybe get the camera lower and put some depth of field so that the immediate foreground objects are out of focus.

Scott Wendler
07-07-2004, 02:14 PM
I went back fixed the magnifying glass. I like the shape and look of the lens alot more now.

etobiason
07-07-2004, 02:18 PM
Good job. I have to say though...I think the radiosity could be more subtle. The lighting has lost its mood...just me maybe. Still a cool scene. I like it a lot.

-e

BarkingTreefrog
07-17-2004, 08:15 PM
Just a few things I noticed. With the radiosity, you now have a problem with some of the surfaces, like the screwdriver handle for one. They look like they are glowing. I would decrease the diffusion and that should fix it. Looks like the skin on the hand needs the same thing.

To be truthfull, I like the image without radiosity. With the harder shadows, it looks like a workbench with the lamp overhead, just like most guys with that setup would have. Just my opinion though.

Overall, it looks good. I like the premise.

Scott Wendler
07-17-2004, 10:31 PM
Thanks. I liked the image more without the radiosity myself. I was going for that hard shadow look. I guess sometimes you shouldn't stray from your original idea.

adrian
07-18-2004, 12:36 AM
Yes I have to say I like the last image best with the slightly stronger shadows.

The glass though.... shouldn't there just be a little more distortion? Sorry, you'll probably hate me for bringing it up again...

But you've got a very nice scene there.

Adrian.

Scott Wendler
07-18-2004, 06:13 AM
There probable should be, but Iím not sure how to do it. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I wouldn't mind giving it anouther try.

BarkingTreefrog
07-18-2004, 12:52 PM
What do you have the refraction settings at? I just recently did a pair of glasses that I wanted distortion. I had two different surfaces, one for the outside and one for the inside nearest the character. I then set the refraction to "1" on the outside, and "1.6" for the inside. Voila! Distortion. So you could easily just do the same with the glass here. Set the one closest to the camera at "1" and the surface on the opposite side to something higher, say "1.6". Remember, the larger the difference in the numbers, the greater the distortion will be. Hope this helps. Oh, and make sure that the glass texture is double sided.

One thing that still bothers me about this though is the large hand. For some reason it looks too plastic, but the surface tells me it is supposed to be realistic. I think that it might be the diffusion like I mentioned before. Human skin should be at about 80% diffusion. Again, just a suggestion, but I think it will help a lot.

Scott Wendler
07-18-2004, 02:55 PM
Thanks. I'll give that a try and see what happens. I'll post a new image when done.

Scott Wendler
07-18-2004, 03:54 PM
Thanks for the suggestions BarkingTreefrog.

UnCommonGrafx
07-18-2004, 06:51 PM
Ya, baby, you got a good start on some refraction!

It's too much, though. ;) 1.2 or so ought to do.