PDA

View Full Version : Newtek...Please think of the 'little' people

prospector
07-01-2004, 10:47 AM
After trying to download for 2 days the PDF and constantly getting disconnected after 40 to 50 megs each time, I've about given up.

It says the file is able to be continued but alas, with 2 different downloaders (normal windows and DAP) I have yet been able to continue where it was left off.

For us bandwidth challenged (ie we can't download 100 megs in 10 sec), is it possable to divide your large files into something like 10 meg chunks?????

Winzip has the setting for it, winrar has the setting for it, stuffit has the setting for it.

Lynx3d
07-01-2004, 12:39 PM
Hm...i could resume the file from Newtek Europe when it stalled. (at least i hope, we'll see if it broken when ready...pretty slow)
I'm using Opera (on Windows)...

Qexit
07-01-2004, 12:54 PM
After trying to download for 2 days the PDF and constantly getting disconnected after 40 to 50 megs each time, I've about given up.

Just finished downloading it off the Newtek Europe link a little while ago. The PC version they posted is a self-executing file only 27.6MB, the Mac version is 40 odd MB. I think they must have followed the advice about compressing it down using WinRAR elsewhere on the forum.

I got my copy....I'm happy :D

Lynx3d
07-01-2004, 01:01 PM
*lol*
yea i also wondered why the mac version is ~63% larger...
Does Stuffit really suck that badly, or did they miss a "maximum compression"-button or something?

Qexit
07-01-2004, 01:08 PM
yea i also wondered why the mac version is ~63% larger...

Don't forget that the WinZip version posted originally on the Newtek US site is 60MB+, so Stuffit isn't really that bad in comparison...it's just that WinRAR is better on this occasion.

prospector
07-01-2004, 01:14 PM
Well, I'm up to 70% (45 megs) so I expect to get poo-pooed any time now:(

Do you have the link for the Europe version?

Lynx3d
07-01-2004, 01:19 PM
Gosh...you're right, Zip doesn't get smaller than 66MB...

Pretty unusual that RAR is THAT much better, at least i never saw that much of a difference. Oh and the file did download fine, although i had to interrupt and continue it.

oh the Europe link:
http://www.newtek-europe.com/uk/support/download.html
but i don't know if it will accept your serial...

Qexit
07-01-2004, 01:24 PM
Do you have the link for the Europe version?

Yes, but unless your copy of LW8 is registered through Newtek Europe you can't use it. Just as the US download link can only be accessed by US users, the same applies to the European link, i.e. Euro registrations only. Sorry. The link is from the main Newtek Europe downloads page but you then go to a registration confirmation screen which I presume checks you are in the right place.

prospector
07-01-2004, 02:23 PM
HEY !!
I got to 78% then knocked off:)
at this rate I'll have it by Christmas:(

And as usual it wouldn't RESUME DAM*IT

Why can't Newtek put the small sized on the US too?????????

ARRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGG

I just know they are sitting at thier desks laughing thier butts off
thinking

"a few more tries and he'll buy the manual to save the agrivation"

Lynx3d
07-01-2004, 02:31 PM
*rofl*

No, i'm sure they are not watching you and laughing.
If there's a reason to buy the printed manual then it's the compressed-to-death images inside the pdf...really, i can't see anything on many of them.
But i guess it's not really possible to avoid that...

Perhaps Newtek should offer a CD with highres pdf for a reasonable price.

hrgiger
07-01-2004, 02:31 PM
It'd be cheaper for you to go out and rent a real modem for one month.:D

prospector
07-01-2004, 02:48 PM
I would get High speed if it was availavle here.
The telecommunications industry here just upgraded from banging on fallen trees to 2 dixie cups and a piece of string.
:D
So much for the well connected and tech advanced Calif.

Hervé
07-02-2004, 12:30 AM
downloaded in 10 min.... wooow, what a nice connection I have here....:D ;)

prospector
07-02-2004, 01:09 AM
Yea Yea Yea:rolleyes:

Send me 1 chapter at a time so I can get it.

What is the address you got it from?
Not the link, but the actual address.

I'm bypassing the link on the US site and going directly to the holding pen, and trying to download it by just copying it to my folder, but it's still too long.

Now trying to open the PDF thats there with my Acrobat program.

It's easier to download a full ver of LW that has been cracked than it is to get a PDF file.
At least the crackers split files into smaller pieces.

MrWyatt
07-02-2004, 02:24 AM
try flashget it´s a cool downloader and pretty fast to.

prospector
07-02-2004, 03:21 AM
Up to 61%
IT'S 2:30 am pst
Have been trying for 20 straight hours now plus the full day preceding.
If this dosen't work will try flashget.

pixelinfected
07-02-2004, 06:45 AM
i download it from newtek europe at 60kb at second, this morning.
wonderful work on manual guys. it's a new baby of 1560 pages!!!

prospector
07-02-2004, 12:36 PM
WOO HOO
got it with flashget...THANKS!!!

If there's a reason to buy the printed manual then it's the compressed-to-death images inside the pdf...really, i can't see anything on many of them.

Yer right....nasty looking

riki
07-02-2004, 07:09 PM
I normally download large files overnight, up to 200Mb on my 56k connection, no problem.

Some browsers have 'Download Managers' let you Pause and Resume, but I haven't actual found one that works, as it's suppose to.

Hotline had a feature like this that worked perfectly.

Hervé
07-03-2004, 12:46 AM
You're right Prospector ! Many images were compressed to death (I am sure in a good intend to reduce the DL size...) but fact is I'll buy the manual...

1) my eyes get very tired very fast reading on screen....

2) if you print the entire 1500 pages , it'll cost more than $100 anyway (I am talking of color print)

3) if you print just the pages that interest you, then very fast it is going to be a **** mess to find something

4) picture quality is very bad and so the printing of those images....

5) correctly binded as a book or two, no problem to take it with you in toilets or at the beach, not the case of large binders with very soon flying pages all over....

I'll buy the manual or Dan Ablan, but not both books, well maybe I'll take a look at the pdf, and then decides..... coz already there is stuff I dont get in the pdf....

what would you do....?;) :( :) :cool: :rolleyes: :confused:

Skritter
07-03-2004, 08:04 AM
Originally posted by Hervé
Many images were compressed to death (but fact is I'll buy the manual...

What makes you think they have done another version of the layout for print?
I think you'll find the images will be exactly the same in the printed version (cause they'd just use this pdf for the book printing)

nerdyguy227
07-03-2004, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by prospector
I would get High speed if it was availavle here.
The telecommunications industry here just upgraded from banging on fallen trees to 2 dixie cups and a piece of string.
:D
So much for the well connected and tech advanced Calif.

Maby the reason you got it wasnot cause of flashget, but maby they now upgraded to telegraphs!

prospector
07-03-2004, 01:59 PM
Telegraph??
Around here you'd be acused of being a witch or something.

Telegraph...HAHAHA
Everyone here knows that you can't send pics and voice by electricity...why that's just...just...sci-fi stuff.

Hervé...
Dunno
I would have rather seen better pics, even with a larger file BUT split into chunks for downloading.

But I would really like to go back to the binder type like we had for the Amiga. If you looked at my ver 5 and 6 manuals then you'd see the pages that came unglued falling out all over, the spine is split in many places from trying to make the book lie flat on the desk.
But My Amiga LW manual is still laying flat in the binder,some pages got the glue on ring holes on them but at least they aren't flying all over, and there is even room for important notes in the margins and I can put extra blank pages where needed for notes or printed out tuts and tips from around the net.

Signal to Noise
07-03-2004, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by prospector
..But I would really like to go back to the binder type...

Done! As long as you ordered a hardcopy manual/tutorial set that is. ;)

LW [8] Manual Binder Example (http://www.newtek.com/buynow/gear/lw8binder.html)

prospector
07-03-2004, 09:56 PM
OMG

Why wasn't this touted from the highest mountain top?????

For this I will order a manual anyways

WOOHOO:D

CRAP..today is Saturday and monday is a holiday
I gotta wait AGAIN:mad:

Someone from newtek can take order tomorrow???
And can I use a Tim Buck for manual??

riki
07-03-2004, 10:25 PM
Wow the Binder looks cool. But only for US custommers.

Signal to Noise
07-04-2004, 12:03 AM
Originally posted by riki

I'm in Canada and was able to order the Manual/Tutorial set through NewTek. My local reseller couldn't place orders for them yet so he found out from NewTek that I simply needed to contact them. I wasn't able to do it on-line.

I emailed Customer Service and received a response within a couple of days on how to place the order which was either phoning or faxing NewTek with the shipping & payment info. NewTek (and Melissa) were very accommodating.:)

riki
07-04-2004, 12:14 AM
sweet I'll give that a try next time.

Qexit
07-04-2004, 02:20 AM

Er..what makes you say it is for US customers only ? I was under the impression that the printed Reference Manual was the same where ever you order it. I could order the set from Onevideo here in the UK for £65 and I'm pretty sure the Reference Manual comes in the form of a dirty great three ring binder, presumably similar to the one used for the VT3 documentation which means I probably wont be ordering a copy. The VT3 manual is good on content but too large and bulky to be read anywhere other than sat in my lap in front of the computer. It certainly doesn't fit on my desk alongside the PC :(

prospector
07-04-2004, 06:04 AM
Hmmm
Can't find the page for the manual.

Qexit
07-04-2004, 08:10 AM
Can't find the page for the manual.

Not too sure where you are looking, but this is the direct link on the Onevideo site :

http://www.oneanimation.net/info.asp?product=694

Note the pricing is incorrect. In the UK, books are VAT free so the full price is £65 not £76.38. Onevideo have confirmed the error but they have a problem with the pricing system on the site. You can also see the same price listed on Newtek Europe's site :

http://www.newtek-europe.com/uk/price/price_ls.html

Cheers :)

prospector
07-04-2004, 11:19 AM
Was looking for a listing and discription to see what the tutorial set is about.
I would imagine that the manual is same as PDF.

Doran
07-05-2004, 11:25 AM
Yes, Newtek please don't forget about the Leprechauns. We owe so much to them for giving us a holiday during which we can drink green beverages while wearing the shamrock color and eating cereal with hearts, moons, stars, and clovers. Not to mention that snubbing the little people probably is a very unlucky thing to do. So don't forget the Leprechauns. :D