PDA

View Full Version : How To Install NT Codec For Lightwave 8 On WinXP Pro?

FaeKitty
07-01-2004, 12:27 AM
The manual says to follow the instructions in the 'readme.txt' file inside the 'NTCodec' directory, but there are only instructions for Win95 and WinNT. One would believe that the WinXP Pro instructions would be the same as the WinNT instructions, however, that apparently is not so.

According to the WinNT instructions, one should open up the 'Control Panel' and select the 'Multimedia' control - there is no 'Multimedia' control in the 'Control Panel' of WinXP Pro.

So, how does one get this NT Codec installed in WinXP Pro so that the presumably better NT Compression Codec can be used with Layout previews?

Thank you,
FaeKitty

mattclary
07-01-2004, 12:37 PM
If the latest info on this codec refers to NT and 98, then maybe it's an outdated codec anyway? You should probaly try to use a more current one. DivX seems popular, but I think I heard there are better ones to use.

jeremyhardin
02-07-2005, 08:06 AM
(digging up old thread out of need)

you're right about using a new codec. but lw's default preview codec for pc is ntcodec. so it will make the preview in this, then you won't be able to view the preview later b/c the codec isn't installed on your system.

i also could use some info on installing ntcodec on xp.

Silkrooster
02-07-2005, 06:04 PM
Layouts preview will use whatever codec you specify. If you click on the menu for preview, at the bottom is preview options, click on this and at the bottom is choose codec. Also note, you can make preview for avi or mov.
Silk