PDA

View Full Version : INside LW8 OUT?

prospector
06-30-2004, 07:42 PM
I saw on Dans site that Inside LW8 has been released.

Does this mean Amazon will finally get them out?
They said I would get mine before last Christmas when I pre-ordered.:)

robewil
06-30-2004, 10:09 PM
Safe Harbor (http://www.sharbor.com/products/SAMN4000016.html) announced on their forum that they have it in stock. Amazon, as of today, still lists it as a pre-order.

archiea
07-01-2004, 12:28 AM
Order now, and I bet Inside LW 8 will still arrive before my Dl of the Lw 8 manual is done!!!! :D

prospector
07-01-2004, 10:33 PM
Still not in Amazon yet
Still trying to DL manual:(

Wickster
07-02-2004, 09:27 PM
yep its out coz i just got my copy of inside lightwave 8 today at my local book store here in san diego. heck it wasn't even on the shelves yet. i was about to leave and then thought it wouldn't hurt to ask if they have it and what do you know they do. i just had to wait a few minutes for them to unpack it and enter it in their database before selling it to me. now excuse me while i start reading the book.:D

prospector
07-02-2004, 10:31 PM
not being shipped by Amazon yet I mean.
I could go to store here and get it but I miss the 20 buck discount.
I could get it thru SafeHarbor at a discount but they have shipping charges which wipe out the discount plus some extra.

decisions decisions

Jamel
07-02-2004, 10:34 PM
still waiting for mine (ordered from barnes an noble monday)

robewil
07-03-2004, 12:05 AM
Bookpool (http://www.bookpool.com/.x/ei5bey430i/sm/0735713685) says they have it in stock at $38.50 with free shipping on orders over $40. So I guess, I'll have to break down and find another book to get with it.

Wickster
07-03-2004, 10:26 AM
$20! hmm you have a valid point in savings there. but i didn't want to wait for it so i bought mine for $47 plus CA tax (yikes). its funny how amazon is not shipping the book yet but some of their affiliate stores are already selling it "like new" for $37. i'm pretty sure they have it already but forgot to update their site.

prospector
07-03-2004, 02:11 PM
Bookpool says they have it in stock at $38.50 with free shipping on orders over $40. So I guess, I'll have to break down and find another book to get with it.

HAHA..what a way to get even MORE money from ya.....

save 1.50 on 1 book but spend 15 on another book to get the free shipping..HeHeHe

Can ya order just a book marker for 1.50 and get it all for like 40.11 or something like that?

What a racket.....

some of their affiliate stores are already selling it "like new" for $37

Like new???
it's only been out fore a week..how can it NOT be 'like new'????

Signal to Noise
07-03-2004, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by prospector
Like new???
it's only been out fore a week..how can it NOT be 'like new'????

Maybe Bookpool and the like sell books that have "fallen" off the delivery truck. I but scuffed up from impact with the road but otherwise "like new". ;)

Wickster
07-04-2004, 12:04 AM
"like new" books are probably the ones that shifted during shipping and may have folded some of the pages or on displays. i'm not sure either why they have "like new" conditioned inside lightwave 8 books at this early in the release, but they have it. :confused:

robewil
07-04-2004, 01:18 AM
Originally posted by Signal to Noise
Maybe Bookpool and the like sell books that have "fallen" off the delivery truck. I but scuffed up from impact with the road but otherwise "like new". ;) Where on the bookpool site do they say "like new"? I've ordered from Bookpool before and they seem perfectly reputable.

HAHA..what a way to get even MORE money from ya.....

save 1.50 on 1 book but spend 15 on another book to get the free shipping..HeHeHe

Can ya order just a book marker for 1.50 and get it all for like 40.11 or something like that?

What a racket..... Well, then don't order another book and pay a few bucks shipping. I hate to sound like I work for Bookpool (really, I don't), but I've bought a few books from them and they have done right by me.

prospector
07-04-2004, 06:09 AM
Well, then don't order another book and pay a few bucks shipping.

Took it the wrong way
:)

It seems that *all* stores seem to come out that way
Free shipping with order of 50 bucks and the part you order is 49.95.
Not saying that store in particular, just generally

Either I get cheap stuff

OR

The store is monitoring my compy and puts the free shipping just above what I try to buy.

And as a conspiracy theorist, I tend to go with the latter:D

tjacobs
07-04-2004, 11:49 PM
Called the local Barnes and Noble and the they said the book should be out next Tuesday. However they had not yet recieve their shipment.

mattclary
07-06-2004, 06:32 AM
That's weird, I tried at my local B&N, and they couldn't even find it in their system.

MiniFireDragon
07-06-2004, 08:04 AM
Barnes and Nobles either bought out Border's Books and Music (or Vice Versa or maybe it was Waldens?) Anyway, Barnes and Nobles and Border's use's Amazon's Book system to find out when it will be released and such. And is Amazon.com isn't ontime, neither will Borders or B&N. However, Waldens Books must use their own system because they show it is availible and told me I could place an order for it.

dablan
07-06-2004, 02:54 PM
Thanks for the interest in the new book!

I don't know what's up with B&N.... they successfully have removed most, if not all 3D related books. Plenty of Photoshop, web, and of course, brand new shelves for their own brand.

Borders always carries the goods -

Safe Harbor (www.sharbor.com) has them in now.

Amazon was to have an updated page today, and of course,
they didn't.

In any case, it's out there, and just began shipping last week.
So, it'll be arriving at dealers and resellers very soon.

Thanks again.

MiniFireDragon
07-06-2004, 06:22 PM
I just picked up one of 2 copies of Inside LW 8 at Border's!! Woohooo!

dablan
07-06-2004, 11:40 PM
Yeah? Great. Thanks for the $6. :)

And hey - where are you? The Borders here doesn't have it yet. I"m curious as to what stores are getting it first.

colkai
07-07-2004, 02:52 AM
Heh,
Well, given the UK amazon still have it listed as "LW X" and a stupid expected delivery date, I've ordered from Amazon.com in the USA, with an expected 12 day delivery. Go figure! :rolleyes:

As to when it will be in our stores here, around the North West, it's more likely a case of IF they will stock it.
There's a huge bookstore I visit, last time I checked, it had 1, very old, book on 3D.
Thank the gods for amazon!

MiniFireDragon
07-07-2004, 06:31 AM
I bought it at a Border's in Newark Delaware.

As for the $6, would u have gotten more if I bought it elsewhere?? If so, do tell and I will look into purchasing it elsewhere. I am one to support those who can help!

Edit: Oh, one more thing, I got an application for 20% off at Border's for being a business and shopping at Border's (I also got the 2 books I bought at the 20%!)

tjacobs
07-07-2004, 07:25 AM
Errr, Amazon still has the book listed as not released yet. However the image of the book has changed. Instead of a beautiful young girl, there is now a crusty old man on the cover. :rolleyes:

MiniFireDragon
07-07-2004, 07:42 AM
That would be the correct picture of the book then.

dablan
07-07-2004, 10:34 AM
Yep,
crusty old man - that's the cover and Amazon now has it listed as shipping.

tjacobs
07-07-2004, 01:14 PM
Dan, is that one of the models that the book covers how to make?

dablan
07-07-2004, 01:19 PM
Yes it is. You build it based on photos of a real clay sculpture, first using splines. Then you add details. On the DVD are video tutorials continuing the chapter with uv texturing tutorials.

Earl
07-07-2004, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by dablan
I don't know what's up with B&N.... they successfully have removed most, if not all 3D related books. Plenty of Photoshop, web, and of course, brand new shelves for their own brand.

I noticed that the other day when I stopped in to see if any of the new LightWave books were in. Lo and behold, not a single 3D app book was present except for ONE maya book (and not even a good book). I promptly complained to their front desk, and I plan on buying books from Borders from now on.

Earl
07-07-2004, 03:58 PM
Hey Dan, you should get on their case and have them update the Editorial review. It still has the old LightWave X text.

"The most complete, extensive, and accessible guide for LightWave X"

dablan
07-07-2004, 04:05 PM
Yeah, B&N - who knows what the f*** they're doing. But like I said, they're making room for their own brand. Hence, we shop at Borders. Here in the Chicago burbs, they have ALL the current LightWave 7 and 8 books on the shelves -

And, they have Wifi too. :D

We got Amazon to update the cover image. Text... working on it :)

Jamel
07-07-2004, 04:11 PM
unfortunalty i ordered my book from them :confused: i probaly looking at the end of next week

reverie
07-08-2004, 04:29 AM
I ordered a copy from Amazon last night. Woohoo! :D Can't wait to dive into those uv tuts. I'm needin' uv tuts.

TSpyrison
07-08-2004, 09:14 AM
Woo Hoo!

I just got my ups tracking number from Amazon.com

:D

prospector
07-08-2004, 09:26 AM
WHUUUAAAAAA
NOT ME

all I got was
1 item - delivery estimate: Feb 25, 2004 - Feb 27, 2004

MiniFireDragon
07-08-2004, 10:04 AM
I just finished watching all 3! UV texturing videos and I must say it does help a bit. Well, alot, even without doing the tuts in the book. I have been going through and watching most of the videos and they are very helpful.

One problem though, Dan, is you say to get additional tuts at 3dgarage.com because you can't get them all on the DVD... where at on 3d garage?

dablan
07-08-2004, 10:22 AM
I'll be posting those soon -
MorphMixer, and some others. Thanks!

colkai
07-08-2004, 11:24 AM
I'll be posting those soon -
MorphMixer, and some others. Thanks!

Ya got that backwards Dan.. ;)
Should be us thanking you, not only do we get a book on LW8, we get a DVD of tutorials included gratis AND we get additional tutorials on your website.
****! - you Da man, talk about being worth the price. :D

Well I for one am very grateful to all the knowledge you've imparted over the years. Especially about broadcast graphics, some folks treat 'em like a dirty word, but our TV shows would look a lot more boring without 'em. (Not to mention a lot of folks would be out of work ;) ).

dablan
07-08-2004, 11:45 AM
Hey, thanks very much! I appreciate it!

Jamel
07-08-2004, 05:06 PM
hey i just got it love it Dan just what i need thanks dan!:D

reverie
07-09-2004, 05:26 AM
Woohoo, for the second time! :D

Just got my "shipped" notice, too. :)

prospector
07-09-2004, 05:44 AM
WooHoo!!!
Got my tracking number:D

Coming from Sparks Nv
Only 200 miles away,and it will take 5 to 9 buisness days to deliver:eek:

Wasn't mail faster when it only cost 3 cents to mail something????
Jeese, I remember when mail (any type) got cross country in no more than 4 days.

Pay the workers more and they go slower:mad:

Gonna order the LW manual in mornin which is 1800 miles..wonder what THAT delivery time will be...........

colkai
07-09-2004, 07:27 AM
WooHoo!!!
Got my tracking number:D

Coming from Sparks Nv
Only 200 miles away,and it will take 5 to 9 buisness days to deliver:eek:

Heh,
Coming from America to North West UK, will be here in under 12 days. Yeah! :D

MiniFireDragon
07-09-2004, 09:26 AM
prospector:

Sounds like they are sending via "book mail" and not 1st class or standard. It could take up to 10 days.

prospector
07-09-2004, 10:18 AM
Bookmail???

If I'd known I coulda got it 'barefoot mail' faster
I think it takes less time to walk 200 miles than it takes the mail service to drive it 200 miles at thier estimates:)

MiniFireDragon
07-09-2004, 12:04 PM
I believe the proper name is Parcel Post. My father does some shipping and it took a package 10 days, yes 10 DAYS! to got 5 miles using parcel post. Amazing isn't it?? It is the cheapest form of mail delivery.

tjacobs
07-09-2004, 03:29 PM
Ugh, my book is stuck at UPS in Saint Louis and will not be delievered until Monday. I could have drove to Saint Louis (2 hours) and bought the book at Borders on Wednesday.

reverie
07-09-2004, 05:00 PM
Yeeeee-ha!!! :D

Inside LW8 is HERE! I love UPS Next Day Saver -- so quick, so reasonable.

Got bad news though...everyone's gotta hang onto their Inside LW 7s. From flipping thru, Inside LW8 looks like a totally new book! And an awesome new book at that.

The weekend's looking pretty good now. ;) Sorry for your delay, tjacobs. That's why I got this book sent next day. I couldn't bear the thought of it sitting in a UPS warehouse over the weekend, which would've happened sure as grits is groceries.

Off to play.

dablan
07-09-2004, 09:58 PM
Thank you!
Glad you thought it was worth sending overnight!

reverie
07-10-2004, 05:04 AM
Thank YOU! :)

I spent last night exploring the CD and reading the first section. Those 3D Garage textures are wonderful. And the reading is great. Hate to sound like I'm sucking up, but you sure gave readers their money's worth. Tons of new stuff -- it must've taken a tremendous amount of work to get all that material together. My hat is off to you.

Jan

dablan
07-10-2004, 09:13 AM
I started the book back in November.
It really got going in January, and then it was three months non-stop. Mix in there doing LightWave 8 Killer Tips too. There was also my daily animation work, 3D Garage, Keyframe Magazine....
This is mostly why I'm not posting on the forums as much as I would like to.

if you happen to get the new Class on Demand DVD "What's new in LightWave [8]" you can see the bags under my eyes. It's pretty funny actually.

reverie
07-10-2004, 10:35 AM
Whew! That's a lota book to put out in a few months, in addition to keeping a full schedule otherwise! :eek: I'm sure all us LW users greatly appreciate your long hours, but we're all gonna be mighty sorry if you keel over from exhaustion. The legend simply has to continue... :D

You should take your family to Hawaii or the Bahamas or something. :) Re-charge the ol' bat'ries, as we say down here in the swamps. ;)

dablan
07-12-2004, 09:04 PM
UK USERS!

If Amazon ain't deliverin', how about this?

http://www.holbornbooks.co.uk/details.aspx?sn=1246466

TSpyrison
07-12-2004, 09:17 PM
Got mine today! (from Amazon.. Finally)

nice big book, excelent restroom reading :D

prospector
07-13-2004, 12:05 AM
Mine came in

First thought :D it's in

After opening box and flipping quickly thru pages :(
First 333 pages go thru what is in manual for LW8 or been in LW since ver 3 that I know of.

But because of new LW purchasers, I guess it's needed in books.

After those pages:)

The DVD:D :D :D
overall I give this book an 8 out of 10

reverie
07-13-2004, 04:59 AM
nice big book, excelent restroom reading

Just don't drop it in the can. :D You'd never get that toilet unstopped. ;)

colkai
07-13-2004, 05:06 AM
Mine just arrived! woo-hoo.
downside - put DVD in drive, my drive said unformatted - do I want to format it. Clever really, seeing as it isn't a dvd writer!
..Think I'm in need of a new dvd-cdr comob drive! ;)

Ahh well, have to wait till I get home to nosy on the DVD, darn gosh weighty book again Dan! - my poor bookshelves are gonna collapse soon - I just know it. :p

dablan
07-13-2004, 09:06 AM
Prospector wrote -
After opening box and flipping quickly thru pages First 333 pages go thru what is in manual for LW8 or been in LW since ver 3 that I know of.

Well, not exactly -
The introduction (which most people don't read) has some good motivational info for working not just with LightWave, but on computers as a whole. It also talks about the theory behind this new book's process.
Chapter 1 is a brand new "QuickStart" chapter which we've never done before. While it's basic, it gives a good understanding of the LW8 workflow. I don't recall this in the manual. Actually, this entire book was written before the LightWave 8 manual came out, so....

One thing people need to remember is that the majority of people who buy these books are newbies. Because you already know something does not make it a bad book. It means maybe you know more than you realize :)

Glad you got the book. Thanks for the support.

retinajoy
07-13-2004, 09:50 AM
UK USERS!

If Amazon ain't deliverin', how about this?

http://www.holbornbooks.co.uk/details.aspx?sn=1246466

Thanks for the tip. I cancelled my order with Amazon as the estimated days of delivery kept getting longer and longer. So I have ordered with holborn and the book should arrive tomorrow or day after.

Thanks.

prospector
07-13-2004, 10:34 AM
I figured it WAS because of newbies.
And since ver 3 was a comment about the tools that have been around since then but every book goes thru them time and again, like the box, disk and such tools, which are all covered in the manual. Tho the pics are different.
I just was looking for something that continued where your LW7 book left off, mainly the newer tools, and work from there, instead of starting from the basics each time.

But I certainly didn't waste my money in the purchase.

Matt
07-13-2004, 10:57 AM
Yep,
crusty old man - that's the cover and Amazon now has it listed as shipping.

Out of interest Dan, why did you change from nice chicks to old men? Do you think it might affect sales? ;)

Hehe!

colkai
07-13-2004, 11:27 AM
Mine came in

First thought :D it's in

After opening box and flipping quickly thru pages :(
First 333 pages go thru what is in manual for LW8 or been in LW since ver 3 that I know of.

And if you read the introduction, you would note that Dan specifically says he designed the first section almost as a replacement manual, allowing you to get to grips with LW8 without having to wade through shed-loads of stuff.

I suggest the best thing to do is sit down and read the introduction and what Dan outlines as the plan for the book, then you'll have a better idea of what it is about. He also states that he has deliberately moved away from his 'old' methods slightly because of what people were asking him. Of course, the downside is, then others complain that it no longer suits them.

You must remember, Dan has to appeal to new users, not just folks who have used it for a while. If you want the new stuff, just pick a chapter, there's plenty to choose from.

I'd wager, if Dan wrote a book that started off right at an advanced level, you would get folks asking why he didn't point out where the tools were and why there were no simple examples first. Heh, glad I'm not a writer! ;)

You can't please all of the people all of the time, but sometimes, ya just gotta pour a drink and to hell wiv 'em! :p

EDIT:
Ok, like frikkin' heck! - just did a check of how much space on the DVD was under some of the sub-directories. '3DGarage Videos' == 2.19 GB yup, that's right... 2.19 GigaBytes of FREE tutorials to work with along side the book and not to mention the ones Dan said he'll be putting up on his website.

Err... so like... WOW! Go Dan! Go Dan! :D :D

Of course - downside - trying to pursuade the missus that I do love her whilst spending all my time watching LW videos! ;) :p

dablan
07-13-2004, 02:14 PM
Thanks - you seem to get it.
With Inside 7, we had complaints that the basics weren't included, and that some tutorials were "too hard."
While I don't want to make a LW for Dummies book, I do want to have a book that appeals to the masses. I think INLW 8 accomplishes that, through shorter chapters which cover more topics. And as you've seen, 5 plus hours of additional video tutorials on the DVD. You can't please 'em all, but we try.

Oh, and btw - we're #5 on the Amazon best-selling computer books today :)

Bytehawk
07-13-2004, 05:13 PM
yep, canceled my order at amazon.co.uk and ordered from the US site. That's why you're number 5 today :D

reverie
07-13-2004, 05:25 PM
Out of interest Dan, why did you change from nice chicks to old men? Do you think it might affect sales?

I'm not Dan, obviously -- I'm a girl, and I don't have his LW expertise (yet) :D -- but I just read that part, and I can't resist...

The books says that surveys show that buxom young women only appeal to 0.1% of Lightwave users -- those that have tattoos, wear sleeve-less t-shirts, and can guzzle a can of beer in 5 seconds flat. Surveys show that crusty old men, however, appeal to 75% of LW users, hence the popularity of recent Clint Eastwood movies. 24.9 % of LW users are undecided. :D :D :D

And I'm full of it. :D Seriously, the book says crusty old man is offered as something new, in technique and subject matter. That's one I'm looking forward to doing, but since spline-patching ain't my strong point, I'm waiting a bit on that one. Good thing there's lots on the DVD about that project. :)

Forgive my silly joke -- they're putting me back in the asylum tomorrow, I fear.

dablan
07-13-2004, 06:54 PM
rusty old man is offered as something new, in technique and subject matter

That's exactly it. Someone asked once before, and basically, I put Stu Aitken's female model on the cover Inside LightWave [6] in 2000. We release at SIGGRAPH. After that, we continued with her, a bit different, longer hair, etc., with INLW 7 in 2002. Well, it's now 4 years later and I'm sure we've all seen our share of CG women. It's time to shake it up and do something different.

Hervé
07-13-2004, 11:35 PM
I wish someone made a book ONLY for real advanced users.... sure there is a market...:cool:

dablan
07-13-2004, 11:37 PM
Actually, it's not much of a market, which is why you don't see many books like that. Think about it - if a user is "advanced" why do they need a book?

Hervé
07-13-2004, 11:39 PM
why.... to become as good as Dan....:D ;)

Hervé
07-13-2004, 11:40 PM
Maybe not a book.... rather a monthly PDF....:D go Dan GO !!:D

colkai
07-14-2004, 02:21 AM
Originally posted by Hervé
Maybe not a book.... rather a monthly PDF....:D go Dan GO !!:D

Heh heh, dontcha think the poor guys got enough to do already! ;) ;)

Mind you..... sounds tempting... :p

Hervé
07-14-2004, 02:29 AM
.... indeed very tempting....

I'd like to see....

-real world tutorial, like the really cool stuff I see on commercials on TV....

-every month a super pro shares an "alleluia" technique....

_ deep with plugins section...

and so much more...:D

d1wojo
07-14-2004, 05:36 AM
I second that, something from the big guys to push us all a little further into their arena

prospector
07-14-2004, 08:18 AM
That's kinda what I was thinking.

Like a Lightwave to the Maxx volume on the latest and greatest effects ever.

Something that takes LW's code and stretches and molds it till it's binarys implode.
Like UV'ing for perfection
Weighing for perfect bone movement every time. Like trying to make a shoulder that rotates 4 directions and never a poly out of place.(not just a split box)

Indepth texturing....it's like layering a cake and why layers need to be in certain order.

And something near and dear to me Titling for broadcasting.
Not just throwing up letters but WHY. What makes a good title.
When I see a light form in a straight verticle line I immediatly think of the Aliens title even tho it isn't for that. What makes a title memorable.

Something from start to finish. Like a commercial for something 3D.
from the first thought processes to the final product, but not just putting in numbers to make it but the thought processes into the WHY's of one way over the other.

Hervé
07-14-2004, 09:47 AM
Also much more on integrating 2D and 3D models....

that would be best handled by someone from a big studio... but the pros dont like to share the real stuff.... I mean interviews of NT europe are fine, but it gets me more hungry , that's it.... sometimes a pro shares a very little, but I think the real cool stuff.... hum unless a pro decides to do it....

Dan, I am not saying your books are not good or whatever, but I'd like something direct from studios...

There is a cool interview from th guys from artizan in France, the did a cool advert for 7-up, very nice liquid stuff with bubbles and all.... yep sure it was in HV, sure....

AAAhhhhh I need to relax a bit....:D

so finally to say:

a good value PDF , let's say about the making of commercial (has to be a good one) from A to real Z and all the problems they encounter.... 200 pages... $ 800...

If it's really worth it infos... it's a nice value... so who' s first ?

( or maybe 1 minute from captain Scarlet...)

(lots of images too)

dablan
07-14-2004, 10:22 AM
Herve'

this has already been in the works.... so hang tight.

Two things coming.... one from studios..... and the other from my company (www.lightwaveuser.com)

:)

danilo
07-14-2004, 03:49 PM
It seems to me like you guys want to by talent(800$......???)-IMPOSSIBLE.Period.
danilo

reverie
07-14-2004, 04:43 PM
You might not can buy talent, but you can read books/tutorials, work your @$$ off, and learn new skills. I went from left to right (below) in 6 mos. by reading LW books by Dan, Wordware -- and any others that I could get my paws on.

I was so ignorant, the first time I opened a 3D program (last Nov.), I couldn't make one thing happen. Nothing. Now, I've been asked to teach a very basic LW class, starting in September. I may not have the confidence to do that, but being asked was quite nice. :)

It's not about trying to buy talent -- it's about buying roadmaps to guide you on a journey. ;)

TSpyrison
07-14-2004, 04:50 PM
Where is the line to buy talent?
Ill sign up for that :)

danilo
07-14-2004, 05:35 PM
That is learning technique.Everebody starts like that(there is no other way,is it?)And it is OK.But,are you going to pay 800$ for that?
danilo

reverie
07-14-2004, 05:59 PM
But,are you going to pay 800$ for that?

I probably have, by the time I add up all I've spent on books. :D

P.S. -- TSpy, when you find that talent line, I'll be right behind you. :) Cool website, btw. I like your wife's page -- she sounds ultra-cool. She and I have the card thing in common. ;) Congrats on the upcoming event.

Jan

lesterfoster
07-14-2004, 06:42 PM
Thanks - you seem to get it.

Ha dablan. are you Dan Ablan? If so, I have 4 of your video's. And I like them allot.. I watch them more than I watch TV. :D

TSpyrison
07-14-2004, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by reverie

P.S. -- TSpy, when you find that talent line, I'll be right behind you. :) Cool website, btw. I like your wife's page -- she sounds ultra-cool. She and I have the card thing in common. ;) Congrats on the upcoming event.

Jan

Holy smoke..
I didn't think anyone ever looked at my site! Its at the beginings of a "work in progress" stage.. Thank :)

Wife got a kick outta that too :D

Jamel
07-14-2004, 09:07 PM
hey dan some of your files on the projects i downloded from your site dont work like the backdrop for the 8_dude_bkds file and the char suprise and faucet which needs a plugin an im sure it was on the disk which i cant play:( i realy wanted to work on those :(

maybe i should re downlod?

Hervé
07-14-2004, 11:40 PM
Reverie, going from left to right (in your post) is not that difficult with a couple tuts., I am doing pretty cool stuff myself, and people here know me....

what some people need (I think) is a boost in some areas where sometimes, I dont feel like I am at the top....

does not seam like , but I'd say, between your left picture and your right picture, there is a world, but you'll discover in a couple of years, that between your lamp (beautiful) and some stuff I see sometimes on TV, there is a universe of difference....

Unless your a genius (maybe), I dont think you 'll do a favour to your students if you start teaching LW after 6 months, and you admitted you knew nothing before.... but again I might be wrong...

Note about the price.... in fact regarding the quality, the price could range from $80 to $800....

For instance, one day course at Realviz France for let's say .... Image Modeler, cost $1100.... and that's just 8 hours, so if you take a half hour coffe break.... err... well better not...!!

BTW I know similar courses for pro artists painters, they are very talented, yet they look for something to push their art even more....

.... sure nothing for newbies here.... but they have so many boks and videos already....

Dan , you're DA MAN !!:D ;)

Another BTW, I dont need to buy talent....

Hervé
07-15-2004, 12:34 AM
BTW, I like that new logo on lightwaveuser site.... when is soon approx Dan ?:cool:

reverie
07-15-2004, 03:02 AM
Reverie, going from left to right (in your post) is not that difficult with a couple tuts.,

Well, maybe I'm stupid or something, but it was difficult for me! :) It took a lot more than a couple of tuts. Rail extrude (top handles) spline patching (side handles) -- using those tools didn't come easy -- not to me anyway. It took lots of work and reading and I know I'm just now scratching the surface of LW. But my point was...if a 3D ignoramus like me -- somebody who couldn't even make a 3D program activate in November -- can learn to model from books and tuts and other information so kindly shared by others, then books and tuts are worth the money. Maybe you can't buy talent, but you can buy the things that will make you develop "talent" -- I guess we're taking talent to mean "innate ability" here. :)

dont think you 'll do a favour to your students if you start teaching LW after 6 months, and you admitted you knew nothing before

No kiddin'! That's why I said I didn't think I had the confidence to do that yet. It's been a little longer than 6 mos. total -- I started with C4D back in November and took up LW in January, with which I made that horrible Martian dog on the left -- but I still don't think I'm ready to teach LW.

I think, in the passion of the moment, I gave the wrong tone to my first message. I didn't mean to come across as, "Oh, I'm so smart." My point was, I started out knowing absolutely nothing, several months ago, and went to being asked to teach a LW class by reading books and practicing. Again, I think the books are worth the money.

I think the message about "buying talent" made me respond so passionately because "talent" is something I'm constantly arguing with my daughter about. She's 18, a freshman in college -- I was just a baby when I had her, of course :D -- and when I trying to encourage her to develop interests that have nothing to do with hunky males, she wails, "I don't have the talent to do anything!" I tell her, "You don't have to have talent. Just pick a hobby, read some books, and go for it, [email protected]^^^ it." :)

Okay, end of rant. ;)

Hervé
07-15-2004, 05:08 AM
I get your point Reverie... I was just saying that after reading many many many books and watching so many videos, my technique somehow, sometimes, stares a bit now... that's why I'd like fresh Pro new ideas about workflow, secret weapons (I know there is some in LW...), I am sure you get my point also...

My son just turned 18, he does not care about talent as long he's got friends and booze.... but my daughter is only 16, and she feel so sorry she can't sing very well.... she desperates because of it, so she finally decided to go horse riding.... so at least her horse has talent....

I feel alright about talent.... in fact I have sooo much talent , I scare myself sometimes.... aaaha haa, just joking.....:D

cheers all

reverie
07-15-2004, 07:11 AM
that's why I'd like fresh Pro new ideas about workflow, secret weapons

Have you gotten a copy of 1001 Tips and Tricks for LW (Wordware) yet? That's got a few secret weapons inside. :) Lots of intricate little things to tease your brain.

Sorry, Dan -- didn't mean to promote the competition, but I saw, in the other thread, that you bought 1001 T& T, too. :D

Herve, thanks for your honest comment about the class, btw. I asked to postpone it to November, so I could do some more studying first, build my confidence -- and have a LONG time to design the 6 lessons. ;)

And aren't teenagers wonderful? :rolleyes: "Gimme money, lemme alone, don't ask questions, so what if I came in at daylight?" If I had more than one kid, I think I'd give up, take my dog, and go live in the creek swamp with the snakes and the 'gators. They couldn't be any worse than an 18 year old nubile know-it-all.

Jan

dablan
07-15-2004, 10:30 AM
when is soon approx Dan

As soon as I can get to it. I have multiple animation projects going and the extra stuff will have to wait...

Sorry, Dan -- didn't mean to promote the competition

That's not competiton - Inside LightWave books stand on their own. 1001 book is a handy reference. Two different animals all together.

hey dan some of your files on the projects i downloded from your site dont work like the backdrop for the 8_dude_bkds file and the char suprise and faucet which needs a plugin an im sure it was on the disk which i cant play i realy wanted to work on those

I'll check that out - but what do you mean "don't work?" Is it a content directory thing? Certain scenes need to have the dynamics calculated. I didn't record the data....

Ha dablan. are you Dan Ablan? If so, I have 4 of your video's. And I like them allot..

That's me... as far as I know.
Glad you like the videos.

Jamel
07-15-2004, 11:36 AM
I'll check that out - but what do you mean "don't work?" Is it a content directory thing? Certain scenes need to have the dynamics calculated. I didn't record the data....

It says data missing or incorrect an one says i need a plugin check disk but i cant pay the disk:confused:

sorry to be such a pain

dablan
07-15-2004, 12:15 PM
What data and what plugin of what scene?

colkai
07-15-2004, 12:24 PM
Well I've just successfully loaded all the 'faucet' scenes off the DVD and it didn't ask me for a plugin, though it did ask me to confirm where the models and TGA files were located. Once I'd done this, they all loaded smoothly.

Having problems with the 'particles' scene, but not sure if my DVD drive is being antsy as I can't copy the project files to my HD. ..Ha, so saying..it's started copying now.

Will edit post to let you know what happens....

EDIT: - Did load eventually, just slow because the frame bar was at 80 so it had loaded the scene but was calculating the PFX data. Resaved the scene with the framebar at Zero, loads a lot quicker.
Hey.. C'mon, I've only got an XP1800+ ya know ;)
Content directory was pointing to 'projects', ah-ha, jsut edited a scene in Editpad.

"Objects/INLW8/CH17/Faucets.lwo"

..is 'LoadObjectLayer' path in the scene, whereas DVD is..

"Objects\CH17\Faucets.lwo"

..if '\Projects\' is your base content directory. That answers the question then, I guess Dan, he isn't missing a plugin at all, just like you say, needs to wrap his head around content directories. :)

dablan
07-15-2004, 12:29 PM
Ok -
you might want to read the book a bit, learn about content directories and such. That would help with the demo scenes.

reverie
07-15-2004, 04:27 PM
that's why I'd like fresh Pro new ideas about workflow, secret weapons (I know there is some in LW...)

Herve, I found something about accessibility maps in Inside LW8 today. First time I ever heard about those...but I'm a semi-newbie and all that. ;) Anyway, looks like there's some secret weapons in Inside LW8, too. A few new compositing tricks, also -- new to me, anyway.

I like compositing. No end to the possibilities. Just think how you could humiliate your enemies.

Jamel
07-15-2004, 05:16 PM
these are the one's that wont work

for faucet : no plugin ( what plugin do i need )of type masterhandeler with name Fprime would you like to load from disk or can't find object

and for char head (crusty old guy ) 8_dude_bkds file back drop image it says can't find file

i havent checked threw all of them most of them work though so... should i re downlod i realy just wanted to work with the char. modeling crusty head part
thanks

dablan
07-15-2004, 05:46 PM
You don't need to redownload.

I used FPrime to setup the scene (help preview it). Just ignore that, unless you FPrime from Worley Labs (www.worley.com).

As for the bkds... they are there. It's a config file you're looking for.

Jamel
07-15-2004, 06:31 PM
thanks alot dan

As for the bkds... they are there. It's a config file you're looking for.

Config file not sure what your talking about still cant find the image but what ever:rolleyes:

also i can't load most of the scene files it says its missing objects from scene

reverie
07-15-2004, 08:21 PM
Jamel, approximately the same thing happened to me. I tried to open the scene, out of curiosity. However, the missing files can either be found in the scenes, objects, or image folders. You just have to click "yes" for an alternate file and hunt around a bit.

But there is something strange happening with the Worley plug-in thing. LW keeps hollering for Fprime and then Sasquatch, I think. Anyway, it froze up on the demands for Fprime and alternated between two messages, no matter what I clicked. I finally had to do CNTRL/ALT/DEL to shut down the program. Happened twice, but I got screenshots of the messages. It's like things get this far and then...stall.

reverie
07-15-2004, 08:28 PM
What is up? Is Mercury retrograde or what? Now, my screen shot didn't show. Try again...

reverie
07-15-2004, 08:30 PM
Here's the second...you get this far and can't go any further without these plug-ins. You can't even satisfy LW by saying "No, curse it, skip the plug-in and go ahead." It wants that Fprime thing.

dablan
07-15-2004, 08:42 PM
Jamel,
have you read the book's setup? Is the content directory set correctly? It's on the CD, in the beginning of the book, and the back of the book.

Please email me directly (dablan at earthlink dot net) and inform me of what scenes you're trying to load.

Too often, people jump in, try to the load the scenes, and don't read up on them first.

As for FPrime and Sasquatch - those are third party plug-ins that were used in the scenes. They are not necessary to load and work with the scenes, so hit no when the requester asks.

colkai
07-16-2004, 02:44 AM
As for FPrime and Sasquatch - those are third party plug-ins that were used in the scenes. They are not necessary to load and work with the scenes, so hit no when the requester asks.

Ahh, see, that's why I didn't get an error loading the faucet scenes, I've got that FPrime lovelyness goin' on on my PC. ;)

reverie
07-16-2004, 05:51 AM

Dan, for me -- and maybe Jamal, too -- when we get to this part, everything freezes, and you can't go any further. You hit no, and the error messages just alternate. You hit yes, and LW starts looking for a plug-in that's not there.

HOWEVER, I found a way to get the scene to load. If you alternate clicking on "no" and "esc" a few times, the scene will finally load...or your computer will blow up, one or the other. I was getting slightly pissed though, so I didn't care if mine blew up or not.

But anyway, I got past those Fprime, etc. messages by hitting "esc" and "no" alternately.

Edit: If you don't have Fprime, you can also get around the error messages by hitting the "esc" key only. You have to hit the "esc" key 34 times total. I know, you all think I'm off my rocker, but it works.

MiniFireDragon
07-16-2004, 07:10 AM
reverie:

Fprime asks you to find it about 20 times or so. Well, maybe more or less, al I know is it took me about 30 seconds to go through all the

yo... where's the fprime at! You mean u haven't bought it yet!

It's Worley's secret method for advertising. :)

As for Inside Lightwave, this book is nice, learned some stuff about dynamics I couldn't get answers too (didn't feel like hunting 3 forums for it, I think Spinquad is where to find dynamic answers, not here). I do wish Dan had gotten a bit more in depth into Endomorphs instead of the one page (did I miss something?)

1001 Tips and Tricks, you basically do want to read through a book like Inside Lightwave before you dig through this, as it gives you other ways to apply the tools. Or perform some of the "professional" looking stuff using a series of tools.

One thing that I find nice is Inside Lightwave goes hand in hand with 3d Human Modeling and Animation. How so? Well, Dan's book, from what I can see, goes into modeling different types of objects and modeling with more detail (way cool!) which can be used on other types of models (sub-d). I see Dan has a preference for the sub-d method. :) When Dan gets into splines, he atleast shows u how to select the splines to patch. Where the 3d Human Modeling book is a general book on using both spline and sub-d to model the human form (both male and female) with a small class on anatomy.

All and all I have bought "1001 tips and tricks", "Lightwave 3d 8 Texturing" (those 2 are Wordware), 3d Human Modeling and Animation and Inside Lightwave 8 and can say that they all seem to be good appendages to Dan's Inside Lightwave 8 book.

As for the talent bits in the thread, well... "Drink Red Bull! It Gives u wings!" (heh, well, atleast the commercials make ya think it is the answer)

Trawler
07-16-2004, 07:47 AM
Just wanted to say that I'm loving Dan's book. I'm in the middle of chapter 7 right now. I began at the beginning and have read every page and gone through every project so far. And even though I look at a chapter and think, "Oh, I know this stuff," I've plowed on through and found a ton of great tips that I didn't know about. Just thought I'd put my two cents in. :D

dablan
07-16-2004, 08:01 AM
The reason you have to presss no multiple times for FPrime is that it gets applied in multiple places - so, LightWave is looking for it each time. Nothing is wrong.

I'll see about removing it from the scenes and uploading those as soon as I can.

Endomorphs - that's an extra video I'm doing, which will be free, online, for download soon.

Thanks all.

reverie
07-16-2004, 08:09 AM
it took me about 30 seconds to go through all theyo... where's the fprime at! You mean u haven't bought it yet!
It's Worley's secret method for advertising.

:D :D :D

Pretty effective, too. I was about to email Worley and say, "All right! Send me the @#$% thing!"

it took me about 30 seconds

34 clicks, I betcha. ;)

MiniFireDragon
07-16-2004, 10:05 AM
Dan:

I know it is applied to all objects, I was just poking fun <poke poke> Hehe.

erich
07-16-2004, 09:55 PM
Hey MiniFireDragon.

Just curious, what is the "3d Character Modeling and Animation " book you were talking about?

d1wojo
07-17-2004, 04:36 AM
erich I believe the book is by Timothy Albee and it is published by wordware publishing

MiniFireDragon
07-17-2004, 10:21 AM
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0471215481/104-2020884-9779142?v=glance

Seems I misspelled the name of the book, it is

"3d Human modeling and animation"

Hervé
07-18-2004, 02:33 AM
well I did not like the first at all.... it was useless for me.... it was more of a reference for human proper anatomy.... I have not look this one though.... so I wont say anything here....:D