PDA

View Full Version : Particle Collision Event Question

brianMc
06-30-2004, 04:04 PM
I read the Lightwave 3d 7 manual, but am still having trouble setting up collision events for particle emitters.

I create a HVEmitter that sends out particles in a Group called "MyGroup". Let's call this "Main Emitter" for clarity sake.

Then I add an FX Collision called "Collision Plane" also set to "MyGroup" with mode switched to "event" (I've also tried it not switched to event and to something like bounce to see if it would work with collision events, but it doesn't seem to)

I create a third HVEmitter called "Collision Emitter" that is also set to "MyGroup". The "generate by" field is set to "collision event", but it does not generate any particles when there is a collision in MyGroup. I tried parenting this emitter to both the Main Emitter and the Collision Plane but still no particles were generated.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

HowardM
07-01-2004, 08:13 AM
Did you hit FXStart?
:p

brianMc
07-01-2004, 10:36 AM
Yea... I did hit FX_start. I've been searching around online for any tutorial that can show me this in more detail, as following the manual just doesn't seem to work out for me. If anyone has a link to an appropriate tutorial... that would help too.

HowardM
07-01-2004, 11:49 AM
youre using this the wrong way...what are you trying to achieve? When particles hit a collision object, they spawn new ones? Like raindrops hitting the ground?

Ok, the solution is to use a collision with erase, and a child emitter parented to another emitter....
the child nozzle should be set to parent-emitter(end), so when the parents particles hit the collision, the child will spawn new particles (where the parents particles died) play with settings for birthrate and explosion and youve got raindrop splashes...kinda of.
:D

so, the way to use Event is to move the emitter across the collision object, and THEN it will emit particles...like a saw slices through a plank of wood....the event is the saw touching the plank (collision)

got it?

if not, read up on flay, and google, search for Lightwave Tutorials...
Grab one of Dans LW Books...

oh ya, and of course, load all the pfx scenes that come with LW, in the _NewFeatures section theres plenty of content that explains all the settings...

brianMc
07-01-2004, 12:40 PM
Thanks!! Now it works when I follow your instructions. I guess the way the manual was worded was just unclear to me.

I'm not trying to achieve any particular effect... I've just been reading through the whole Lightwave manual... and this is the first thing I hit that I just could not figure out no matter what I tried.

Now I keep going on...

Dodgy
07-02-2004, 06:50 AM
There's another way without using erase.
Parent your 'splash' emitter to the collision object. Now toggle RecordCP in the Mode tab of the collision object.
Go into your child emitter, and sec it to emit by sec, and Nozzle to Parent collision.

It should do it then, where particles from your other emitter collide, though I'm not sure if you have to click calculate first.

HowardM
07-02-2004, 08:36 AM
oh yeah, duh!
:p

Dodgy
07-02-2004, 08:55 AM
Yeah, it took me a little while to figure out all the steps for this till I read the LW 8 manual :)

tuovni
03-29-2017, 11:23 AM
youre using this the wrong way...what are you trying to achieve? When particles hit a collision object, they spawn new ones? Like raindrops hitting the ground?

Ok, the solution is to use a collision with erase, and a child emitter parented to another emitter....
the child nozzle should be set to parent-emitter(end), so when the parents particles hit the collision, the child will spawn new particles (where the parents particles died) play with settings for birthrate and explosion and youve got raindrop splashes...kinda of.

so, the way to use Event is to move the emitter across the collision object, and THEN it will emit particles...like a saw slices through a plank of wood....the event is the saw touching the plank (collision)

got it?

if not, read up on flay, and google, search for Lightwave Tutorials...
Grab one of Dans LW Books...

oh ya, and of course, load all the pfx scenes that come with LW, in the _NewFeatures section theres plenty of content that explains all the settings...

Hello, I know there is an old thread but I was trying to do a hail drop and a spread of particles after that. Looking for some help I arrive here where I did try to make it with theses steps but without luck. I guess I did all steps written by howard. Here are the files.

Could someone help me?

Thank you very much!

prometheus
03-29-2017, 12:26 PM
Hello, I know there is an old thread but I was trying to do a hail drop and a spread of particles after that. Looking for some help I arrive here where I did try to make it with theses steps but without luck. I guess I did all steps written by howard. Here are the files.

Could someone help me?

Thank you very much!

The problem is this I think, first..increase birth rate or set it to frame, give it also some vibration..but, the particle 2 emitter that is parented to the first, and set to nozzle particle end..that one is also set to the same granizo group, and so is the collision eraser item, which means it will both erase your first emitter..so far ok, but then it will also erase your second emitter..thus no secondary splash/spread of particles, so set that to default or another group.

And you would probably need to add a new collision bounce plane(otherwise the second emitter will not spread that much..but rather fall down, and you need to set a new group name for that, and make the second emitter have the same group as that.
As for instances, the spread particles will need itīs own objects or hvīs.

tuovni
03-30-2017, 10:19 AM
Thank you very much Prometheus, it works!!!

Here I leave my file for the future if someone needs.