PDA

View Full Version : lip sync

d1wojo
06-30-2004, 01:46 PM
For all those that do character animation which app. do you use for lipsync. Mimic by daz, magpie pro, or ?.

The reason I ask is I'm going to do something in the next two to three weeks in either buying one of these or what ever else I could do to create lip sync...

nemac4
06-30-2004, 01:52 PM
I've used magpie pro for several projects. What is nice about magpie pro is it works with many different apps so if you need to work in a different 3d package it will give the same results. It is a solid investment especially for freelancers. I've also been using Motionbuilder which has excellent lipsync tools as well. Of course with Motionbuilder you get the other CA features as well.

Tom Wood
06-30-2004, 02:37 PM
I use MagpiePro. It comes with two 'recognizers' - One uses phonemes (lip shapes) and the other is amplitude-based. I use the amplitude-based recognizer for very simple mouth-open/mouth-closed lip synch for characters like my avatar over there. It has settings that control the sensitivity so you can tweak the response. Never tried the phoneme recognizer.

TW

d1wojo
06-30-2004, 05:33 PM
nemac you said that motionbuilder has lipsync is it similiar to either of the other two we have been talking about or is it different

gjjackson
06-30-2004, 05:41 PM
I think you can download a trial of MotionBuilder from Kaydara's site. The main thing is naming conventions. If you use the corresponding naming conventions of MB it will setup real easy. There are many tweaks you can perform. Test it with a microphone and speak into it or load an audio file. You can also download a sample test file from their site to experiment with.

Not only the lipsync but the character animation is very easy. There are built in motion files to use and other downloadable. You could buy MotionCapture files but I found those too expensive for what they were.

lesterfoster
07-02-2004, 07:15 AM
I use Mimic by DAZ. And I like it a lot. I tryed the demo of Magpie pro. But did not like compaired to Mimic. I thought that MotionBuilder was part of lightwave. Did not know that there was a nether one. So I checked it out. The pro verson is over $4000.00. I could not find a price for the standered one.

hear is the website:
Kaydara (http://www.kaydara.com/index.php)

I half to go to work now. But after work I am going to look into this program some more. It looks good so far. Just to hi in the price.:(

pooby
07-02-2004, 09:02 AM
Best thing to use is a mirror

badllarma
07-02-2004, 09:28 AM
maybe they don't have reflections :D

Castius
07-02-2004, 10:03 AM
I just use LW morth mixer in LW

lesterfoster
07-03-2004, 07:40 AM
You can use Morph Mixer in LightWAVE to do this.. Hear is how I did my first lip-sync. Make some morph targets in modeler for your object. This website well help < Making Characters Speak (http://www.comet-cartoons.com/toons/3ddocs/lipsync/lipsync.html) >.

Step 2. Bring your model into layout. Go to the scene editor and click on LOAD AUDIO FILE. You well see your audio on your time slider. Next click on idem properties for your object. Click on the deform tab. Load in morph mixer.. Now you can scrub your time line and adjust your morph mixer to the audio.

This is how I did it in lightwave with out any other plugin's or programs.

But it is much faster to use a plug-in or program as they well get you more than 90% right away and than you can fine tune it to make it better. After doing it manually I bought Mimic pro for light wave and all that I do now is talk in to my computer and in just one or two minutes, my animation is finished.

d1wojo
07-03-2004, 11:04 PM
Could any of you have examples of what you've done that I could see

lesterfoster
07-03-2004, 11:17 PM
Hi d1wojo
Dave W.

I wish I could but I do not have my VideoTOASTER connected to the internet. I am afraid of getting virus on it. I could mail you a CD. But I am still learning lightwave. And my stuff is far from the PRO's

Have you tryed the demo of mimic pro for lightwave yet?

I know that it is almost real time animation for lip sync with mimic, and it gets you 90% of the way or more depending on how picky you are.

I think you made a good choice with t4d

d1wojo
07-04-2004, 04:12 PM
I was just playing with mimc pro, seems o.k. sometimes the lips are off a little.

lesterfoster
07-04-2004, 04:23 PM
I found it better not to use a TXT file. try this! If you do use a TXT file than spell everything phonically

example. <you> in not spelled <you> It is spelled <u>

And use the edit strength command

whattawa
07-26-2004, 06:13 PM
The better the sound file's quality, the better the results you will get.

Definitely play with the text as well.

More than the automatically generated lip sync (which is generally a great start), Mimic also has a great non-linear editor so that you can very easily mix morphs and edit your results.

Mimic isn't perfect, but if you are willing to actually use the editing tools it provides you can get great results in a short amount of time.

lesterfoster
07-26-2004, 10:22 PM
Mimic is a plug in that controls a plug-in, It controls MorphMIXER. You can control MorphMixer with the seen editor or graph editor. Or MorphMIXER by it's self, But you are better off using the GraphEDITOR. As it is more powerful:)

Carm3D
07-26-2004, 10:51 PM
I use a combination of Morph Mixer, Motion Mixer, animating the jaw bone, and some expressions. :p