PDA

View Full Version : The Face Of God

Finger
03-28-2003, 07:12 AM
This is an image that iīm working from the past 3 months, and is what i consider to be the face of God.

Epita
03-28-2003, 07:54 AM
nice but,

uh wha???

It sort of confuses me, what is it meant to show?

Epita

Finger
03-28-2003, 07:55 AM
Is like god as an atom

pixelranger
03-28-2003, 09:12 AM
What's your point Mr. finger?

Finger
03-28-2003, 09:26 AM
My point in this image is to represent god as an atom.

dzogchen
03-28-2003, 09:27 AM
Face of god???

Someone please enlighten me....:rolleyes:

pixelranger
03-28-2003, 09:30 AM
hm... Interesting.

Why would God need an ambulance? And won't the believability of the image be weakened by the fact that this atom is bigger that the ambulance which necesarily will be made of atoms?

Come on... And don't say that you're not going for believability cause why else would you use Focus to mimic a real world camera, and I must say, that hand is darn photorealistic too.

Finger
03-28-2003, 09:38 AM
God doesnīt need an ambulance. That is the superlative absolute of the death, iconified in a simple logo, god is bigger than death.

pixelranger
03-28-2003, 09:53 AM
Actually very neat symbolism. What were your thought behind the hand, then? My analytic part of the brain can't seem to find its meaning. But I guess it is equally as smart as the ambulance.

Finger
03-28-2003, 09:58 AM
The hand is a photo of my actual hand, the names of the persons is a thing that donīt exist, so i put the signature with my hand.

Schwing
03-28-2003, 10:33 AM
Mr. Finger:

3 months?

Finger
03-28-2003, 10:44 AM
Actually the particles are modeled by hand, is not a texture, so i carefully put each one in place, that is the reason why it took so much time :(

pixelranger
03-28-2003, 11:01 AM
That must have hurt... - to sit that long modelling particles just to find out that you could have done it in 2 minutes with LightWave's wonderful Particle FX?!

Is there something you would like to talk about, a shoulder to cry upon? Just let us know!

And please remember that we're all here on this forum just to help you deal with your frustrations and if you want to take it out on us, then we'll understand. I remembered when I got my first LW crack, nobody was willing to help me. So I used to sit up at nights writing coordinates in NotePad. And after 4 months I loaded the file up in Modeler and it was... A BOX. Can you imagine how dissapointed I was when I found out that I could have gotten some help from the bastards who didn't handle it when I threw sarcastic comments at them (I was bitter and desperate, plus I had a small dick ...at that time) and spent 3 seconds in modeler pressing a button to get the same result.
You're not alone.

Parasite
03-28-2003, 11:55 AM
A skull seems more fitting of "death" doesnt it...death has been symbolized by a skull for centuries by a thousand cultures. An ambulance, for one, signifies help and safety....at most injury or sickness. And 2, its a symbol that means nothing to anything but "civilized" "western" societies and doesnt realy transcend the boundaries of different cultures very well...if thats what you wanted. Even with that in mind, I think a hearst wouldve been more fitting. But then again...I dont get it...

Schwing
03-28-2003, 12:03 PM
What particals? Did you submit the right image? Are you talking about the texture?:confused:

Finger
03-28-2003, 12:16 PM
Parasite, if now to model a skull iīguess i wasnīt showing this image... :(

Not praticals, particles, itīs small objects that i put in the scene.

Schwing
03-28-2003, 12:48 PM
OK, who's lost here? Really, truely, I wish to understand. But finger, you're blowing my mind right now. Not a good thing for Friday. :eek:

pixelranger
03-28-2003, 12:51 PM
shhh.....it's modelmonkey...

Bionic Antboy
03-28-2003, 12:57 PM
That's about it. Personally, I would think that a perfect cube would have worked better than an oblong box shape...or maybe not a cube, but something that's more mathematically 'pure', like 1x1x2 or 1x2x4...

Just out of curiosity, if God is represented by the atom (sphere), does that make the box heaven? Since obviously the atom (God) can be seated there...

And if the box is heaven, then what's up with the spotlight, and the environment that atom God is hanging around in, what's that?

Thank Atom that Model Monkey has been banned...or is he back...
? All worthwhile things to ponder, at least when the navel gets tiring :)

I like the hand signature :)

Finger
03-28-2003, 01:00 PM
Thanks for the tips, bionic ant! Many people is calling me monkey, i dont understand why. can someone explain? Is it a private joke or something? :)

Bionic Antboy
03-28-2003, 01:02 PM
Finger...

Model Monkey (you can probably do a search), started lambasting people about their work, accusing them of ripping off "real" artists etc etc., to the point where (S)he got banned for having a poor attitude, and rightly so.

pixelranger
03-28-2003, 01:03 PM
Finger: Did you have any thoughts about the atom being subtracted from the cube? I don't want to start a religious discussion here, but do you know something we don't?
I liked the stone/rock texture by the way.

Finger
03-28-2003, 01:08 PM
i see now, but i donīt get the relation between us. actually i just came here today, a friend of mine told me i could get some useful tips here.. and here i am

Schwing
03-28-2003, 01:13 PM
If the sphere is god, and the box is heaven,? Why is god not in heaven? But it does appear heaven is a part of god. Evident by the simular shape missing from heaven. I need a beer.:D

Finger
03-28-2003, 01:16 PM
i didnīt use a texture as i told you. iīm more familiar with modeler, so it was made by putting small pieces of geometry to simulate a neutral effect (i hope you understand).

pixelranger
03-28-2003, 01:17 PM
Ok, I Sincerely Apologize if I am mistaken and I will deal with your posts in a serious way from now on. (I meant what I said about the stone texture and I think the signature idea was smart, and ORIGINAL (which kinda points towards Modelmonkey and his view upon art in general).

I read your feature request post where you posted a suggestion for LightWave 8 logo, and that's the post that got me thinking if you were Modelmonkey (giving us "the FINGER").

Sadly, I have to say, that your attempt at designing a logo for LightWave 8 is kinda bad and if you're proud of it, then you should start studying some fine art.

Now.... If you ARE Modelmonkey, I suggest that you lay low for a while and start behaving. Newtek will not tolerate, as you experienced, that kind of BS you were delivering.
I will see these two posts of yours as your contribution to this forum so now we can't blaim you for critisizing others without having the balls to show something for yourself. I hold no grudge against you personally, but I think you owe Hurben an apology.

Otherwise; Welcome to the forum, Finger. You really had bad luck choosing your time of registration :D

Matt
03-28-2003, 02:20 PM
pixelranger you know how you can tell it's him again, because
on most of his posts he edits them straight after.

just like someone else we know and love used to do!

finger you're fooling no one matey!

Finger
03-28-2003, 02:35 PM
ok pixel ranger i get it now. Indeed it seems really a bad time for register! the logo and fine arts... Maybe it was a bad idea afterall, your right.
matt iīm not very familiar with this forum, so, i write things that i would like to see in other way, true i made it sometimes..

Meaty
03-28-2003, 02:46 PM
My interpretation:

The sphere fits into the hole below it. The only way a sphere can fit into a hole is if they perfectly match. Thus the sphere and the hole are symbolic of god's perfection.

just my opinion, the ambulance and the finder do not belong there. trys to say too much. also, if you work for 3 months on something, and then add two components that take 10 minutes to throw in, chances are they will feel out of place, which they do, actually, at first i thought they were watermarks to keep people from stealing the artwork.

Finger
03-28-2003, 02:59 PM
My idea with the ambulance is that god is not perfect. And sometime you will be sick, and eventually die. The humans are the only living being that have the notion that they will die.

Conclusion. God in all perfection is imperfect. The ambulance looks bad in the picture, like death looks bad on our life.

Hurben
03-28-2003, 03:19 PM
I like the hand as the signature and I also like the abstraction of the ambulance icon. However, for you to say it took 3 months is crazy... a good texture could give you the same effect.. (you are talking about the texture aren't you?)

I'm not sure I see your concept, it looks like a sphere and a block with a boolean.

If you are ModelMonkey, than I hope you have swallowed whatever it was you were coughing up, and are now able to function as a decent person.

pixelranger
03-28-2003, 03:24 PM
Finger: Would it be possible to see a wireframe of the box? I am curious to how you solved the boolean problem. I usually get ugly artifacts when I use boolean and render with DOF due to the multisided polygons I end up with. I'm also curious to see the particles that you spent a long time modelling.

Regards,
André

riki
03-28-2003, 05:33 PM
Mmmmm "I think God looks more like this!"

He has a slight scar on his forehead from that time he slipped up at the Pizza Hut. Your model is close but it looks more like Patrick Duffy. Maybe try adding some nasal hair and I think you might have it.

http://www.suture.net/files/0002.gif

hrgiger
03-28-2003, 05:40 PM
Actually, if there is a heaven, I think God looks more like this.

I hope anyway.

hrgiger
03-28-2003, 05:41 PM
Oh, and by the way Riki. I think it was one of the apostles that slipped at Pizza Hut. Jesus pushed him as a joke.

riki
03-28-2003, 05:56 PM
Oh Damn I knew there was something suss about that story :-)

Here's my pix of Santa :-)

http://www.suture.net/files/0003.jpg

Finger
03-29-2003, 03:11 AM
Here is the pain work that iīve been doing in the last 3 months :)

Matt
03-29-2003, 04:56 AM
okay, I'll suspend judgement for now . . . welcome aboard!

can't believe you placed all those particles by hand, geez that
would bore the hell out of me!

:)

pixelranger
03-29-2003, 07:44 AM
Jeeezus... hehehe.

Ok, very impressing. It's sad to say, but you could have achieved the same look with tweaking HV's or maybe even in the Surface Editor for a couple of days.

Did you use Point Clone Plus?

I like the image, but the ambulance and your signature looks really misplaced. Try using blending mode in PS for your signature, so that it visually matches up with the colors in the image more.

Zarathustra
03-29-2003, 09:28 AM
Welcome aboard, Finger!

I enjoy your words as much as your images. Of course, I must disagree with you in that there is no god but I love your attention to detail and deep thought infused in your work.

I can't wait for your future postings. It will be a nice counterbalance to all the damn "look, another head" postings and the F'ing clowns who can't tell the difference between a WIP and a Finished forum.

btw - If there was a god, it wouldn't look like Jennifer Connelly, but it would give me Jennifer Connelly. That would convert me. :D

Finger
03-29-2003, 11:04 AM
Thanks all! Zarathustra: Actually i never said it was a religious God, it is the nature God sort of speaking.

I donīt believe in religion also.

Gui Lo
03-29-2003, 11:38 AM
Hi Finger,
I love the explanation of the ambulance.

Here is my explanation of the image(please bear with me):
God is the sphere like you said.

The block is creation since it has 6 sides that equal the 6 days of creation.

God was among us but man rejected Him and is seperated from creation. God leaves his impression upon creation, hence the boolean.

The texture represents the singular image. All comes from God and so all have the same texture.

The envirnment plane represents the existance of the reality that holds both God and creation.

The light represents the holy spirit that lights God and creation and casts a shadow of God upon creation.

Finally this is the true face of God because the shows a sharp in-focus sphere whereas the block of creation is blurred. So the face of God is easily distinguished whereas the face of creation is not.

Time for bed I think.
Take care

Gui Lo

Finger
03-29-2003, 11:58 AM
Gui Lo:
That could be the religious point of view, i canīt argue with that. Itīs totally valid.

Finger
03-29-2003, 01:44 PM
To the viewers:

Actually iīm modelmonkey, and iīve been banned.
Iīve been banned for showing another point of view (which i consider valid).

My goal here with this thread was to prove that i could make original "make you think" art in 3 minutes, not three months as i said. This thread is to defend the last post wich modelmonkey was banned.

I really create original art, this image that i show you now is 1/100 of what i make, and imagine.
And iīm very disapointed with the moderators atitude, and some people that make comments here. This is just to make you think if itīs this kind of comments that you want, or real improvement ones.
Are you strong enough to accept? or too weak? Iīm not better or worse than other people, everybody have their weaknesses and their strong points.
Now that iīve seen how the things work here, iīm not coming back. I have many things to create and finish, most of them more long than 3 months, and more complex as you imagine.
Most of that art will be showed in a website, when i put it on the web, you will see what iīm talking about.

Ps.: Yes, i really was giving you "the finger".

Zarathustra
03-29-2003, 02:07 PM
WOOOOOOOO!!!

:D

btw - I think you used the wrong finger.

pixelranger
03-29-2003, 02:26 PM
Hey *******!!

I knew it was you all along (since I saw your ironic "Logo post" in Feature request). The only reason I gave you another chance was:

1: It seemed like you had straightened up, or showed remorse by being so humble when confronted with our suspections.

2: You answered fast and managed to come up with "logical" explanations for your the-face-of-God-picture even though you clearly didn't have those ideas behind it in the first place.
I simply found that amusing and noone were harmed.

I think you're the one living in your brain, Monkeyboy. Yes, there are alot of "very nice, have nothing else to say". Too many even. But we all post here to get constructive critique and that means positive as well as negative critique. And some flattering is sometimes constructive in the sense that it encourages young aspiring artist to keep on persuing their dreams.

It is this comunity's responsibility to bring the new ones up to a proffesional level and then critiques like yours aren't helping! I don't know if your father hit you when you were a kid and if that is your idea of upbringing, but that is not the most constructive way of doing it!

I guess you had a lot of fun answering this one, but what were you hoping to achieve with this one?:

"He looks like a fusion between a monkey and Spielbergīs E.T. itīs more noticeable in the eye area.

The head is very small in relation to the body, the belly area needs some work, looks like he have his spine in his belly, and the mouth looks more like a hole.

Bring updates"

http://www.rayk.be/pxlranger/troll_17df.jpg

I suppose you haven't seen Lord of the rings - Fellowship of the ring, but the Cave Troll is one of the "main" CG Characters. No, the idea of modelling him isn't "original" and neither very "artistic" but many people learning 3d software take existing objects or characters and try to achieve likeness by applying modelling or texturing techniques in their software of choice. And they don't need comments like "...the mouth looks more like a hole" when the original mouth simply is a hole.

One thing is your comments another thing is the way you presented them. Have you no social intelligence at all?
The word is politeness... -Look it up!!

examples:

"BULL****, pumpkin head"

"Eat your tongue!"

"Any more interesting thoughts to share?" (Totally off topic remark on Hurben's signature)

"- If it is the best light setup, please, donīt show us the worse one."

Talk about being original and creative!!!

ps.I still think the ambulance and the hand is misplaced in that image...

lone
03-30-2003, 02:55 PM
that was interesting.
it does look like an INDEX finger.
HRGIGER has excellent taste in women.
god probably is a woman, which would explain (at least partially) why i ain't gettin' any.

Zarathustra
03-30-2003, 03:07 PM
Hee hee. MonkeyFinger, or whoever is gone. Finger said he left for good, yet his influence is still strong enough to get postings like Pixelranger's. That's hysterical. Just inflate his already inflated ego some more, why don't you.

sigh. If he's truly gone I think it's sad. I've been known to drop a harsh word from time to time. My impetus was always that it's better to have a harsh, critical comment rather then a "great job" or "coming along nicely". That helps no one, and thus, is probably the least polite thing you could do.

pixelranger
03-31-2003, 02:41 AM
Zarathustra: Actually, I agree with you, and I kinda thought he had some cool thoughts and he wasn't afraid to express his ideas. I wouldn't mind if he stayed in this forum, if he had posted at least ONE serious post with intensions other than being sarcastic or rude. But he didn't (except this one, and when he posted this I thought he was ok. I know, it's not up to me to judge if he's ok or not, but like one said, we all have freedom to speech).

And when I posted last time I was idignated because of several things besides him plus I felt stupid giving him another chance and then he admitted that he had come back to prove himself right and then just leave having said the last word. I don't want to edit (remove) my last post 'cause then that would be to make myself look better, and that's wrong. What's said is said. I'll let the post be so people can see what a ******** I too can be when I get irritated.

One more thing. 5 % of what's posted in here is original art. The rest is mostly plain rip offs (as my own post "Pinhead"). And no one complains because these mostly are exercises in using LW (modeling, texturing or lighting).
This isn't an "original art forum" and Modelmonkey should have figured that out before he reacted as he did towards Hurben.

And yes, we pumped up his ego unnessecarily and for my part he's long forgotten.

Sincerely,
André

danilo
03-31-2003, 04:33 AM
finger,
can you show us some more of your work(serious jobs),
I like you logo.......
your sense of humor is wierd,at least for me,but I understand it.
Danilo

Matt
03-31-2003, 07:37 AM
can't say I'm suprised, we knew all along, we just tried to give you
another chance, but alas, as expected you screwed it up.

go and use 3DS Max and leave us in peace, ta ta now!

Hurben
06-01-2003, 09:41 AM
You know.. just today I was showing someone who never used the internet about forums.
I used the lightwave forum to teach him about online communication, and I brought up the story of how there was this guy that got banned because he thought I ripped off someone else's art and was real nasty about it.
Then I showed him how everyone thought he came back as finger. So I searched all the threads for finger, trying to find some work he'd done and I came back to this thread..

But I hadn't seen ModelMonkey's confession! I can't believe it, after all this time. That's so weird. Almost cool, because I didn't dignify his strange games with a response.

Anyway, I know it's all passed us, but what happened really affected me and still stays with me.

Thanks .. those who supported me. (or.. well .. you know..)

Rei
06-01-2003, 10:59 AM
Well I know some of us are capable of understanding everyone else, and making up for are downfalls. *ahem*.

Piolla
06-01-2003, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by hrgiger
Actually, if there is a heaven, I think God looks more like this.

I hope anyway.

Please, be right!! If I could have some confirmation I'd become a man of the church and be "married with God!" ;-)

MorituriMax
06-01-2003, 09:47 PM
art to make us think?

I think perhaps you're "trying too hard" to act like that work will make us think anything other than, "Huh? What?"

I could splatter some red paint on the sidewalk and then act like I was some kind of genius prophet.. but all I get from your thing in this thread is... nothing much..

Now if you had made a shell of particles that spin around an infinity symbol at the center that might make me think more..

However, if that is what you want to do, more power to you.. I applaud your intent if not your result.

Seeya!
:confused:

manfriday
06-02-2003, 02:04 PM
I am sorry, but I fail to see the resemblance to Charlton Heston..

MorituriMax
06-02-2003, 11:28 PM
To see the resemblance to Charlton Heston, visualize him holding one of the Commandment Tablets up to his face..

hiro
06-04-2003, 09:35 PM
this is the single funniest post i think i have ever seen on any forum ever...

this is one of those images you find in art galleries...that museums pay millions for.

you are amazing sir.

dark_lotus
06-06-2003, 12:38 AM
Well at some level, you could say that through your imagry, god is superfluous.

Something that could be so simple, is unnessicarily complicated.

Because quite frankly, the image is superfluous, you put what is too much work, into something that is in its finality is superficial (i'm lovin these super- words today).

I do not challenge the idea, even if it is not completely original, but i do challenge the execution. Because its bad. Right down to the ambulence that is stolen right out of a dingbats font.

I'm usually never negitive towards work, however there is a real problem with crap being called good, which is what's happening in this case.

You can do much better than this.

Henrik
06-08-2003, 02:58 PM
Hehe, I rarely read this forum (and even more rarely post here) so I didn't know anything about the ModelMonkey incident. But I must say that this thread must be one of the funniest threads ever!

I also think that Finger/ModelMonkey seems to have some ideas. Actually he reminds me about this one dude at this BMX forum which I read: he says his thoughts out loud, too loud for some people. You know, for example if someone posted a pic of his freshly painted bike and others were like "Wow", "Cool stuff" etc. , he could say "That's the ugliest bike I've ever seen", because that's how he saw it. Replies like that pisses people off, but he's still allowed to stay and in time people realised, what kind of guy he is and learnt at least to some degree to respect his thoughts. Dunno about this case, but maybe, maybe we should try the same thing here too. If the Finger/Modelmonkey bothers you, just ignore him! (and maybe warn newbies about him :D )

wgreenlee1
06-10-2003, 01:35 AM
So..... eh?
This was the weirdest thing Ive read in ...eh...an hour.:rolleyes:

BugJam
06-10-2003, 02:40 AM
O well i can understand the conceptual point of view.
Can you enlighten us towards the final goal of your picture. Are you deep into contemporanean art or something?
Also the use of 2d 3d makes all the content scary. Is death bi-dimensional, plus i really consider death has the goal we all are running towards like headless chickens tou i would give her some more dignity due to the poetry it holds in the very last final moment of truth.

Would like to see some more works in order to establish a padron
( or not )

btw lo all am new to the forum but kinda ancient lightwave addict.

Not much time to model atm but im sure with all this inspiration ill get me hands on it fast again.

MorituriMax
06-10-2003, 03:05 AM
Death is like a can of pasta... soft till you heat it up, then it tastes like crap...

Oh god!!!! Get the goats out of my teeth!

Rei
06-10-2003, 11:54 AM
let this thing DIE *stamp stamp stamp

Pasta is nice, not as good as rice tho!