PDA

View Full Version : Equivalent Maya commands in Lightwave??

pixel8
03-28-2003, 06:32 AM
Hi all

Just wondering if there is a website/document etc detailing equivalent commands between the 2 softwares for people swapping between the 2??

ie split poly in Maya is same as knife in Lightwave......

Regards

Paul

Rory_L
03-30-2003, 06:53 PM
Maybe, but not that I know of. I rode roughshod over Maya`s default hotkeys, remapping them in Lightwave`s image! There`s a lot of useful keyboard keys mapped to bizarrely obscure stuff in Maya and the sooner you get them assigned to LW-style functions the better. :)

Split Polygon tool is like Add Points, or like a poly-by-poly knife tool! Most of the other functions have pretty much the same names, just Maya`s have `vertex` instead of `point`.

R

faulknermano
03-31-2003, 09:58 AM
Originally posted by Rory_L
Most of the other functions have pretty much the same names, just Maya`s have `vertex` instead of `point`.

R

i am not exactly sure why this is so, but i think 'vertex' implies that it is a 'point that belongs to a polygon.' since maya does not regard a 'vertex' as an entity in of itself, it does not use the term 'points' as lightwave does. lightwave uses 'points' because points are 'valid' entities. but when points belong to polygons, they are referred to as 'vertex.'

i think....

Rory_L
03-31-2003, 10:13 PM
Thanks Faulknermano. I thought it was just because the MAYA programmers wanted to scare the mathematical **** out of us artists! :D

R

jimmyboy1
03-01-2004, 04:09 PM
Don't know if anyone is still watching this thread, but check out:

http://www.alias.com/eng/products-services/maya/file/lightwave_to_maya_guide.pdf