PDA

View Full Version : Newtek should consider adopting P2P

NanoGator
06-30-2004, 10:57 AM
Newtek has a problem right now. They have a 65 meg file they need to make available to a LOT of people. Unfortunately, their server is being bogged down very heavily.

I was hoping to plant the seed for Newtek to start making use of tools like Kazaa and BitTorrent to alleviate this frustration. Kazaa's great because it's easy to find specific items. BitTorrent is great because the more people that download the file, the faster it gets to everybody.

If Newtek will give me official permission, I'll set these both up. Newtek doesn't have to do anything but say I can.

Whaddya say? If it works out, imagine the good it would do for future releases of Newtek products? It would reach a point where having something spread across 4 CDs would be a piece of cake. (Ask the Linux users out there that routinely download 3-5 CDs worth of data with no income to support a humungoid server.)

Lightwolf
06-30-2004, 11:22 AM
The problem is that, without the proper precautions, anybody could just d/l the manual, something crackers will love.
I'm not sure if a .torrent can be password protected, that would be a decent alternative though.

Cheers,
Mike - imagine the load if the full upgrade would have been digital...

NanoGator
06-30-2004, 11:30 AM
Anybody should be able to download the manual. You've got:

a.) The Discovery Edition.

b.) People buying Lightwave from places like Ebay, legitimately I might add.

c.) People sometimes lose manuals. As a matter of fact, my 7.5 manual is deep in a box somewhere that I can't get at because I just moved.

d.) Let the people thinking about buying it have the manual to peek at to see what's so great about it.

If they went P2P, the actual download wouldn't cost Newtek a penny. So it's not like they're spending hundreds a month for a server that can handle the load to give the manual to just anyone.

Lightwolf
06-30-2004, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by NanoGator
Anybody should be able to download the manual.
Well, I guess that is up to NT to decide, and their current decision makes p2p a moot point unless it is secure for them up to a certain limit (obviously, people _will_ swap it sooner or later).

I just assume that for as long as they handle the manual this way, you won't officially see it on any p2p network.

Cheers,
Mike - who'd like a .torrent too...

harlan
06-30-2004, 11:37 AM
I think the point in "protecting" it right now is primarily to get it to the installed [8] user base. First come first served sort of thing.

It would also benefit people waiting on [8] or debating on purchasing [8] to get see the manual as well, but I'm sure it's a user priority thing right now.

NanoGator
06-30-2004, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by Lightwolf
Well, I guess that is up to NT to decide, and their current decision makes p2p a moot point unless it is secure for them up to a certain limit (obviously, people _will_ swap it sooner or later).

Yep, you're right. *Sigh*

I just hope Newtek decides to just let it go. Let us help each other, ya know?

Sorry if I sounded a little combative in my previous post. Just a little annoyed.

Lightwolf
06-30-2004, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by NanoGator
Sorry if I sounded a little combative in my previous post. Just a little annoyed.
No worries there, I can absolutely see your point. I think if NT had a bit more control over who actually pulls from a torrent, they wouldn't mind.

Cheers,
Mike

beverins
06-30-2004, 12:26 PM
They do have it. What you need is the tracker to deny all calls from client that doesn't have its IP address registered. Blizzard Entertainment use this function.

And how do you prevent people from just registering and grabbing the file? You tie it to the serial number page, just like you did the download. Register with another login once you have already logged into register.newtek.com, it would ask you to create another name and password.

Then, the tracker would be able to deny access to those who aren't registered members.

Like all P2P sharing apps, Bit torrent is not evil - its the people who use it.

Besides which, I know that they're trying to keep piracy down to a low roar ... but with books like Inside Lightwave 8 and the 1001 tips and tricks, and the InLine Help that gets any user up and running with the basics... I fail to see the need for such byzantine methods. I don't see why the manual just isn't on the front page of Newtek for any and all comers to download. I'm sure someone can explain it to me in some business-ese jargon about "customers deserve the highest quality support" as to why they make it so hard to download this thing.

And I was at 4MB left too. ALLLMOST!! Even if the download is 50bits per second, I don't care, I just want to read the **** thing LOL

NanoGator
06-30-2004, 04:58 PM
Oops. I owe Newtek a huge apology. My inability to download it here was 100% my fault. I messed up a rule in my firewall that prevented me from FTP'ing. Sorry if I caused any stress with the Newtek staff. :/

WizCraker
06-30-2004, 05:41 PM
I just download from work... 2.3 MB/sec which was like 20 seconds I think.

Fasty
06-30-2004, 05:41 PM
lol I agree with Nanogator. I don't have Lightwave 8 but I'd love to peruse the manual to see what i'm missing. BTW, where's this "discovery edition" you speak of, Nano? ;)

grafikimon
07-01-2004, 06:57 AM
no discovery edition available yet but i wonder what they will do about a lack of manual for it? will they chop the current one down or just let people use the help system to get them started?

grafikimon
07-01-2004, 07:04 AM
Oh as for P2P. a bit torrent solution sounds good. That seems to be the way the internet is going anyway.

Kazaa installs so many viruses (aka Adware,spyware) that it just isn't worth the damage it does to a computer just to save Newtek some bandwidth.

NanoGator
07-01-2004, 10:41 AM
Discovery Edition is already built into LW. Start it without your dongle. All that's left for Newtek, that I can see, is just to maek the install available.

Macet01
07-01-2004, 12:41 PM
If they are going to adopt P2P for distribution of their software and manuals, Newtek better do it quick. There is currently a bill passing through Congress that would outlaw P2P software and file sharing all together.

I would love to see how they would enforce something like that but, none the less, our Technically Challenged legislators are going to give it a try.