PDA

View Full Version : LW 8 manual is a work of art!

tokyo drifter
06-30-2004, 02:54 AM
Just downloaded the LW 8 manual. It's beyond great, I'm overwhelmed with the amount of detail in it.

Cheers to whoever put this together, a GIGANTIC improvement over the 7.0 manual.

:)

Dodgy
06-30-2004, 03:33 AM
Where did you get it?

zecryan
06-30-2004, 03:35 AM
Where did you download it, i looked in the download section but did not see it, i would like to know where it is.

Exper
06-30-2004, 03:40 AM
Originally posted by tokyo drifter
Just downloaded the LW 8 manual.Hey... he's a lucky US man! ;)

Take a look here:
Lightwave 8 official launch June 30!
http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=25195

mr_nebel
06-30-2004, 04:12 AM
Login to the Newtek registration site and you can download it now.

geoff
06-30-2004, 05:07 AM
Anybody got any idea when it will be availible to UK users?

Gianmarco
06-30-2004, 05:09 AM
I can't register .Europe user.
:confused:

retinajoy
06-30-2004, 05:10 AM
I sent an email to Newtek Europe and they gave me this very prompt reply. So hopefully it will come soon.

---------------
Dear User,

This PDF manual is not yet available. You will receive a email with a direct link to download it as soon as it is available.

colkai
06-30-2004, 05:29 AM
Aye, you can bet BeeVee is on the case, he has been so far! :D

Andrew Sweet
06-30-2004, 05:57 AM
A kind US LW'er putting the LW8 pdf on an FTP site, and letting us poor old UK owners d/l it? would be no harm eh!!

Andy

mkiii
06-30-2004, 06:36 AM
Is it beyond the realms of reason to have expected the launch to be simultaneous on both sides of the Atlantic?

Honestly, anyone would thing that NT US had to deliver the PDF to NT Europe by hand.

art
06-30-2004, 07:24 AM
The download is kind of big (65MB) and going slow. I guess everyone with access to the download is getting it right now.

I hope that all you guys outside of the US will get access to it soon.

ned
06-30-2004, 07:37 AM
I think they should make the pdf manual available to anyone who wants to download it.

We have 5 seats of LW8 and are buying 6 more next week. I don't have time to register right now but want to look at the manual.

What's it hurt to let people look at the manual if it's an electronic d/l?

art
06-30-2004, 07:59 AM
Well, I HAD to register in order to get the serial # and to get my LW[8] up and running.

I registered a while ago when I bought my copy of LW. Now I just use the login I created back then and there I have the link to the download.

I'm not sure how it works for others.

Lito
06-30-2004, 09:15 AM
Well the manual download is going now at a super speedy 1.2KB/s, only a bit more than 12 hours left rofl. I think I will wait till later to d/l it ;)

art
06-30-2004, 09:26 AM
I'm at 88% after approx. 4 hours of waiting.

I feel like im back on 28.8 modem

Edit:

Finished!!

My other findings:

Although winRAR is not as popular as winzip, it would be wise to use it (and create the archive as a self executable for those who do not have it or do not wish to instal winRar)

Under max compression, the PDF manual goes down to 27.5MB

A blessing for those on dial-ups and what not. I did not expect winRAR to be so much better in case of this PDF!!

NanoGator
06-30-2004, 10:43 AM
How are you guys getting to the manual? I'm getting this message:

The LW [8] PDF manual will be available for download on June 30th 2004 at 11.00 AM CST.
added 6-30-2004

Am I hitting the wrong end of the site?

brap
06-30-2004, 10:46 AM
hey nano,
No, I just checked, and you're at the right place but they must have taken it down for now. Probably bandwidth related.

NanoGator
06-30-2004, 10:48 AM
Alright.

Any chance it's been made available on Kazaa or Bit Torrent?

Exec
06-30-2004, 11:01 AM
I started DLing it and got to 10.4 meg, then it stopped - tryed to restart it - now I get the same posted message!! Crappola
Anyone hosting the manual as a mirror?
To bad they did not expect this and setup a few mirror sites ahead of time...
Exec

titane357
06-30-2004, 11:19 AM
aaahhhhh

For the first time I am be the king.

Download like a charme and all is OK. ( 1510 pages )

Just one thing, like all NT manual there is no progression in the manual.
Begin with layout ?!?
I'd like to begin with modeller.

Sorry for this bad post, I'm very happy to see LW8 is shipping.
Sorry again : I want 8.x with F-Prime integration....

I'm pre order man. LW8 shipping for me last year...

tokyo drifter
06-30-2004, 11:57 AM
Sorry to hear that non-US people didn't get the manual yet. Didn't mean to rub it in your face like that. ;) I wonder why they are not making it a publicly available download like the previous manual?

Exec
06-30-2004, 12:08 PM
Well I'm US and did get an email from newtek about it - but they changed the DL page and started DLing it - and they stopped allowing it to be DLed, I guess because of bandwidth.

Hey, drifter - you can't still get tothe link to DL it can you?? I can't now, but could this morning..,

mrunion
06-30-2004, 12:09 PM
The download quit when I had less than 4 Megs to go. Now I'm getting the "11:00am CST" message too. It's 1408 here (EDT). Hopefully I can get my last 4 megs soon!

Thanks for the manual NewTek! Keep up the good work! (<-- NOT a sarcastic remark!)

lede
06-30-2004, 12:19 PM
It seems they cut off the DL server because the same thing happened to me. I was ~60% complete. It is now past 11:20 PST and they still don't have the download button. Bummer :(

-Lee

beverins
06-30-2004, 12:34 PM
Either WinRAR as an .exe or WinACE as an .exe should have been used on this. Both allow for splitting the file into smaller chunks for those people who have slower connections, and who tend to time out on larger files thanks to overload on the server.

I realize its mentioned in another thread, but they really should investigate putting up an IP-limited (meaning that anyone who wants to grab the file has to have their IP number registered, by creating a login on the tracker, which is only available to create a login with through register.newtek.com) tracker for BIT TORRENT and let people have at it. Anyone would be able to grab the .torrent file, share it, whatever.. but without logging into the tracker itself (which as mentioned, would be locked away behind the login which registered users have at register.newtek.com) the .torrent would be just another text file.

NanoGator
06-30-2004, 12:38 PM
I'm having real trouble with the idea that they need to register to download this file. I can understand that as long as Newtek is paying for bandwidth they'd want to VIP it. But P2P/Torrent alleviates that cost. The manual is not a product.

Exec
06-30-2004, 12:50 PM
I agree with you Gator, except that it is a product - I've got a copy of the set on order and they are are getting $100 US for it - sounds like a product to me.
(but personally - I think it should be included as part of the program itself like it used to be.)

Wade
06-30-2004, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by NanoGator
I'm having real trouble with the idea that they need to register to download this file. I can understand that as long as Newtek is paying for bandwidth they'd want to VIP it. But P2P/Torrent alleviates that cost. The manual is not a product.

Well from what I here the maunual is a product in and of its self - some 1500 pages in all. - A work of art! So why let everyone and his mother have it when so many of us have paid for it as a part of the upgrade package. :)

NanoGator
06-30-2004, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by Exec
I agree with you Gator, except that it is a product - I've got a copy of the set on order and they are are getting $100 US for it - sounds like a product to me.
(but personally - I think it should be included as part of the program itself like it used to be.)

Actually you're paying $100 for the service of putting it on paper.

I just don't see it as a product simply because it is 100% worthless without LW to use it with. Ya know? I hope I don't sound argumentative, I'm just worried that Newtek's thinking the same thing and we're being unnecessarily burned for it.

art
06-30-2004, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by beverins
Either WinRAR as an .exe or WinACE as an .exe should have been used on this. Both allow for splitting the file into smaller chunks for those people who have slower connections, and who tend to time out on larger files thanks to overload on the server.

Not only those programs allow you to split the archive into pieces, but as I mentioned in another thread, winRar reduces the size to only 27.5MB as opposed to 64.7Mb produced by winzip.

Earl
06-30-2004, 01:24 PM
I'm just worried that Newtek's thinking the same thing and we're being unnecessarily burned for it.

I don't think anyone is being burned for it. The manual will be available to all who own LightWave, both in printed form and in PDF form. That, the online flash help, the tutorial book for boxed versions, the videos/tutorials on their website, and their upkeep of these forums all combine to the best product documentation and support I've seen from any company. Over the years and previous versions of LightWave people have complained about sub-par documentation. I think it's safe to say NewTek listened and took many steps to improve this area. I find it amazing that people are finding trivial things to complain about.

The (albeit small) experiences I've had with BitTorrent were not pleasant. The idea is great, but for now, I'd prefer a straight download from NewTek. I also like their new registration and "panel" that allows me to see what licenses I've registered and what downloads are pertinent to them.

mattclary
06-30-2004, 01:27 PM
I like the idea of limiting the manual to registered users. One of the downsides of using pirated software is not having the manual. I would even say let LW 7.x users download it, but you should need SOME kind of registration.

tokyo drifter
06-30-2004, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by beverins
I realize its mentioned in another thread, but they really should investigate putting up an IP-limited (meaning that anyone who wants to grab the file has to have their IP number registered, by creating a login on the tracker, which is only available to create a login with through register.newtek.com) tracker for BIT TORRENT and let people have at it. Anyone would be able to grab the .torrent file, share it, whatever. but without logging into the tracker itself (which as mentioned, would be locked away behind the login which registered users have at register.newtek.com) the .torrent would be just another text file. I totally agree, IP-limited bit torrent distribution would have been great, everyone would have gotten it without a hitch. But I don't see Newtek putting up a bit torrent tracker any time soon (as most businesses haven't adopted to bit torrent distribution yet), so talking about it is just wishful thinking.

I'm sure Newtek will get it hosted again soon. I'd give you all my copy if I could.

NanoGator
06-30-2004, 01:35 PM
" One of the downsides of using pirated software is not having the manual."

Registration doesn't do anything to solve that. If Newtek is providing a .PDF file of any sort, then the pirates have access to it. It inconveniences us legit people, and doesn't effectively do anything for the illegit people.

Qexit
06-30-2004, 01:50 PM
Actually you're paying $100 for the service of putting it on paper.

Not exactly the case. The $100 deal gets you a printed copy of the Reference manual (the one that has been made available as a PDF file download) AND the printed Tutorial manual which isn't going to be made available as a PDF file. This was explained a while back by Chuck Baker if I remember correctly.

NanoGator
06-30-2004, 02:17 PM
Newtek updated their site. It now says manual is available at 4pm central. (2pm on the west coast.)

John Fornasar
06-30-2004, 02:50 PM
Eventually it'll be on the net. But for now, registration allows owners first shot at low bandwidth.

Downloaded it at work about 6:30am est this morning, only took a few minutes on our connections. I wouldn't even attempt it at home.

lede
06-30-2004, 03:03 PM
Just got it. Thank NT that was a really quick download ~7 min for me :) You guy's are the best and now for some reading...

-Lee

Chuck
06-30-2004, 03:07 PM
Yesterday there was a problem between us and the ISP servers where we normally place downloads, so we temporarily served the file from our local bandwidth - which has made things pretty slow here for the early part of the day. The issue was resolved and the file is now located on the ISP server, so basically unlimited bandwidth is available and your downloads should be much faster. We apologize for any inconvenience during this time!

Earl
06-30-2004, 03:15 PM
It downloaded very fast. Thanks Chuck.

lasvideo
06-30-2004, 03:17 PM
Newtek....job well done on the manual! I just downloaded it on a T1 and it flew. At first perusal, it trully IS a work of art. I look forward to receiving the printed version and the tutorial publication as well. Lots of unanswered questions are about to be addressed!

John Fornasar
06-30-2004, 03:17 PM
Chuck,

I'd like to add to the other kudo's in this thread... the Manual team (?) did a really nice job on the manual. Nice, clean, professional layout.

I only had time for a quick look, checked out the Modeler section, they did a lot of work explaining the tool modifiers (falloff, etc.).

NanoGator
06-30-2004, 03:24 PM
Is the number of users capped or something because I've been repeatedly trying here and can't even connect.:confused:

Lito
06-30-2004, 03:37 PM
Seems fine on my end I just logged in and it was running. 129.9KB/s much better than the 1.2KB/s I canceled this morning ;)

NanoGator
06-30-2004, 03:51 PM
Can any of you that successfully got the manual ping the server of it and tell me the IP address? (newtektv.com?) Chuck mentioned a server move earlier, I'm wonderin if they cluttered DNS.

Wade
06-30-2004, 04:21 PM
It's movin now just got it at 333kb/sec took all of 3 Min. to down Load!!!!!:) :cool: :D :eek:

NanoGator
06-30-2004, 04:23 PM
Are you guys having to reload several times or something? WTF?! :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

hrgiger
06-30-2004, 04:35 PM
So is the manual available or what? Is there a link?

lede
06-30-2004, 04:39 PM
Hey Nano,

Yeah that basically what I did was keep hitting the server until it starts to download. I guess I was just lucky to get in and start the D/L. Keep trying. Mabie they will figure out what is going on but until then...

-Lee

policarpo
06-30-2004, 04:48 PM
Awesome work on the manual NewTek!

It looks wonderful!

And thanks for keeping it in beautiful color!

ROCK ROCK ROCK!!!!:D

NanoGator
06-30-2004, 04:57 PM
Oops. I owe Newtek a huge apology. My inability to download it here was 100% my fault. I messed up a rule in my firewall that prevented me from FTP'ing. Sorry if I caused any stress with the Newtek staff. :/ (Bad memories of trying to downoad previous LW updates, heh.)

HowardM
06-30-2004, 05:15 PM
Im still upset with explanations like this:

Adv. Resistance- Changes the calculation of the air resistance to an advanced thing.

Fix- Fix each parts' pivot.

Free- Will not fix

spring fix- Fixes with spring

fix- Fixes

PLEASE GUYS, give us some ADVANCED indepth FX docs!

and please, someone tell me the PDF has MORE than the Help file, right?

DigiLusionist
06-30-2004, 05:22 PM
The manual .pdf is very well done. The concepts and tool use explanations are very clear, and well thought out and illustrated.

Good job, to those involved in its development and completion!

NanoGator
06-30-2004, 05:25 PM
They seem okay to me so far. I found the bit you're in, it's a little vague, but I thinkI can understand it...

NanoGator
06-30-2004, 05:31 PM
Oh neat! Their tech writers type with an accent! :D

NanoGator
06-30-2004, 05:36 PM
Originally posted by hrgiger
So is the manual available or what? Is there a link?

There's an image based button on Newtek's home page that says "Get the manual". Alternatively, you can log in to the registration page, find the download button, and go in there to dl the manual.

hrgiger
06-30-2004, 06:47 PM
Ah, I found it, it's downloading now. I was a little confused at first because it was wanting me to register lightwave again until I saw the small little downloads link.

retinajoy
06-30-2004, 06:49 PM
There's an image based button on Newtek's home page that says "Get the manual". Alternatively, you can log in to the registration page, find the download button, and go in there to dl the manual.

..but only if you are registered in the USA. Us Europeans who registered at Newtek Europe have to wait for an email with a download link.

hrgiger
06-30-2004, 07:03 PM
I just downloaded the manual and it is very Pretty. Does the paper manual have color too? I wish now I had the money to buy it.
Great job on the manual Newtek!

I did notice the pages "hiccup" when they jump to the next page if you're using the scroll bar on the side. A little distracting but it's probably just because the manual is so large (1500+ pages!)

Chuck
06-30-2004, 09:01 PM
Originally posted by HowardM
Im still upset with explanations like this:

Adv. Resistance- Changes the calculation of the air resistance to an advanced thing.

Fix- Fix each parts' pivot.

Free- Will not fix

spring fix- Fixes with spring

fix- Fixes

PLEASE GUYS, give us some ADVANCED indepth FX docs!

Please rest assured that the reference materials, like the program itself, will be improved upon and advanced regularly. Feedback on specific issues is appreciated - and this section is one where we are aware we have a lot of work we'd like to do.

and please, someone tell me the PDF has MORE than the Help file, right?

The point to creating the Help File was indeed to have the complete reference available, not a partial limited reference. As matters currently stand, there are some elements of the printed documentation where we have improved upon the version in the Help File, but these edits and additions (and more improvements that are in the works for the reference manual) will be applied to the Help File and the updated Help File will then be released.

HowardM
06-30-2004, 11:24 PM
Thanks Chuck!
;)

archiea
07-01-2004, 12:16 AM
gee... could that DL button be any smaller?:D

made me feel like I was DLing something naughty.....

art
07-01-2004, 03:58 PM
This is weird. I tried to print the PDF (ouch, right?) I found out that the page numbering is ... confusing.
There is page 1, and the next page is 3. There is page 31, next page is 32 (assumed, because there is no number on it). After that we have page 35, and 37. I am guessing that there is no missing content, only numbering is "not correct". Page 35 has the number along with the logo on the right side. The next page, 37 also has it on the right side. That means that the numbering will oscilate from the right side to the left side if you double side print it and bind it. I did not go beyond pages 35-40. I do not know if this is an isolated problem.

Anyway, its no big deal as all the content is most likely there. Maybe Im too much of a perfectionist for things like that.

Just so you guys and gals know.

pauland
07-01-2004, 04:20 PM
Yes, you are right. It occurs elsewhere too (p. 104, 106 for example), probably where the pages are blank.

Another thing. When I set the page size in the viewer to show the complete page, whenever I then select a bookmark, it changes the page size being viewed, so it's a bit of a pain to keep viewing full pages if you use the bookmarks. No problem if you just click on the page list.

Anyway,

Thanks Newtek!

Paul

tsmelker
07-01-2004, 04:37 PM
Hi, everyone! As someone who was intimately involved with the creation of the manual, I have the answer to your "missing" pages: the pages that appear to be missing correspond to blank pages in the printed version of the manual, which occur at the chapter breaks. Those blank pages were eliminated from the searchable/downloaded PDF, to make it easier to scroll thru the pages. However, the missing pages don't affect the links in the Table of Contents or the Index, so the link to Page 34 in the ToC will take you to the actual page 34, without any troubles.:)

CB_3D
07-02-2004, 06:40 AM
DLed mine yesterday form NT Europe. It took 4 minutes :-)

Looks good, thx Newtek and everyone involved. Havenīt seen the Lscript section yet, though. Hopefully better than it was, too.

art
07-02-2004, 06:56 AM
Originally posted by tsmelker
Hi, everyone! As someone who was intimately involved with the creation of the manual, I have the answer to your "missing" pages: the pages that appear to be missing correspond to blank pages in the printed version of the manual, which occur at the chapter breaks. Those blank pages were eliminated from the searchable/downloaded PDF, to make it easier to scroll thru the pages.

Thanks for the explanation and I guess... welcome to the board :)

Dodgy
07-02-2004, 06:59 AM
Originally posted by CB_3D
Havenīt seen the Lscript section yet, though. Hopefully better than it was, too.

There doesn't seem to be an lscript section :P

retinajoy
07-02-2004, 07:16 AM
Originally posted by Dodgy
There doesn't seem to be an lscript section :P

There is some stuff in Chapter 11- Utilities Tab > LScript

peteb
08-26-2004, 05:21 PM
I kpet forgetting to download the manual, finally got round to doing it but for some reason it won't let me,. Is there still access to the manual because I just get an error sound when I try. I'm trying to download from the Europe site by the way.