PDA

View Full Version : YES!! LW8 Manual!!

MrKnight
06-30-2004, 12:22 AM
I just downloaded my LW 8 manual. I have to say that it looks like a great manual. I found the 7.0 manual difficult to read. But looking at a few chapters of this new release manual, it seems like itís a lot clearer in the explanations.
GOOD JOB NewTek!!!!!

Stormy151
06-30-2004, 01:27 AM
I have a question, I got an email today talking about the pdf manual being availiable, and that the printed version was shipping June 30. Does that mean that those of us who have recieved their copies of [8] already are getting hardcopy manuals as well?

jasonazure
06-30-2004, 02:35 AM
As usual, us European users have to wait longer !

There is no way to access the Lightwave 8 manual through the newtek-europe site, and we can't register on the main US site as it doesn't recognise our serial numbers !

Newtek really needs to sort this sort of thing out before they make announcements as it just serves to alienate it's userbase.

:mad: :mad: :mad:

art
06-30-2004, 06:42 AM
Did I miss something? I am a registered user but I did not get any info as to where/how to get the manual download.

EDIT: Nevermind. Got it!!! :)

fabienb
06-30-2004, 07:03 AM
Could someone post the link for the manuals, I can't seem to find it. In the email from Newtek they didn't provide the URL. . I only found the Getting Started Guide files. Thanks

art
06-30-2004, 08:03 AM
Originally posted by fabienb
Could someone post the link for the manuals, I can't seem to find it. In the email from Newtek they didn't provide the URL. . I only found the Getting Started Guide files. Thanks

In my case I had to login to the place where I got my original lw[8] registration and serial# from (On newtek.com website). There I had a link to downloads and the pdf.

As far I as understand from other's posts, this works only for users registered in the U.S.

I might be wrong though.

fabienb
06-30-2004, 08:29 AM
Thanks. I had missed the little download link within all the registration info.

art
06-30-2004, 08:40 AM
I missed it the first time too :)

Trilobyte
06-30-2004, 08:53 AM
Someone can say, what size of manual file?

redlum
06-30-2004, 08:55 AM
well don't everyone rush over there at once. Good grief it says that the download time is over 4 hours. :-D

MrKnight
06-30-2004, 09:03 AM
It is a large file.(about 66mb) And that is the Zip file, after you decompress it, I think it's over 80mb pdf. Something like that, I could be wrong.

JamesCurtis
06-30-2004, 09:06 AM
Yeah, The download is sloooooooooooooooooow! Seems to me they should put up a few mirror sites for this thing!!

FONGOOL
06-30-2004, 09:45 AM
What are you guys, time travelers? I clicked on the download link and there's no link because it says the manual will be available for download today at 11 am! That's still two hours away from where I'm sitting... :confused:

nsolo
06-30-2004, 09:50 AM
How did you download the manual. When I tried I got a message that downloads don't start untill 11:00 am CST. Am I missing something ?:confused: :confused:

MrKnight
06-30-2004, 09:54 AM
I donít understand why you canít download. The only thing I could think ofÖ.is that they got overloaded, and decided to stop and catch their breath.

art
06-30-2004, 09:55 AM
Maybe due to the obvious download overload they put some time limits and such? There was no limit when I clicked on "download" at around 8:30am

Jamel
06-30-2004, 10:08 AM
will a manual be shipped to our house

nsolo
06-30-2004, 10:31 AM
Well, I am still unable to download it. I can't believe this ?:mad:

JD-DCH
06-30-2004, 10:55 AM
I missed the early release this morning and since it's just about 11 am cst I'm lingering over the button. :D

The hardcopy of the manual is only going out to those that purchased the hardcopy in their pre-purchase as far as I know. It was around $100 usd, right?

Anyway, heading over to see how punctual they are on putting the link back up. :D

JD - the one what wasn't quick enough this morning. :p

*** edit ***

Oh well, :rolleyes: so much for punctuallity.

JD - the one what will try again later ... :(

*** /edit ***

TheDynamo
06-30-2004, 12:21 PM
I guess CST means "Croatian Standard Time" not Central Standard Time :rolleyes:

-Rob

byte_fx
06-30-2004, 01:26 PM
My guess - Newtek pulled the US d/l 'til problems with the European server can be fixed so it's available to everyone at the same time.

Might also be some problems with US server - when I d/l'd it at about 1:00 am Pacific Daylight Time June 30 it was reeeaaallllyyyyy sllooooowww. Only about 65 KBytes/second. Usually my connection pulls ~ 450-500 KBytes/sec off the main site and ~ 650 KBytes off the ftp.

Unpacked it's 91.6 mb - color illustrations - format similar to the 7x series

I got a warning from Acrobat 5.0.5 that it was written on a newer version of Acrobat and might contain features not available in 5.0.5 but so far all seems ok.

Guess I'll check out later Acrobat versions to see if the huge bugs have been fixed and if I'm missing anything in the 8.0 manual.

Also guess it's time to re-install 8.0 and fix some of the menu changes in modeler so they're like 7x.

byte_fx - glad to finally have a pdf manual ...

JD-DCH
06-30-2004, 02:38 PM
Just got it. ... does a little happy dance ...

That might have been the case. I just downloaded it at a fairly decent rate.

JD - the one what has to read it now. :p

mrunion
06-30-2004, 02:47 PM
Same here, just got it. Pre-11AM CST download speed was 3.0KB/sec on our company's T1! Post-down-time speed was 80isk K/sec.

Wohoo!

stuart_tetley
06-30-2004, 03:50 PM
Well, I'm trying about an hour after mrunion's successful msg. Not working. A download box appears for a moment, then becomes a "The page cannot be displayed" message.

Guess it's overloaded again... :(

Dark-Whisper
06-30-2004, 05:48 PM
What about those of us (like ME) who even when it does arrive in europe will still have difficulty in getting a copy.

66MB on a 56k modem just dos'nt work, especially when the service provider cuts off the connection after 3 hrs (an improvement on previous years were the limit was 2 hrs).

FONGOOL
06-30-2004, 09:59 PM
You'd probably have to use some evil adware installing program like GoZilla or something so you could resume your download. Yucky.

I just got cable installed, but it doesn;t really help when all you can download is the "page cannot be reached" error page.

Signal to Noise
06-30-2004, 10:29 PM
I kept getting the little download window and then the "page cannot be reached" error page as well. But I kept clicking and after about 6 attempts got through. It was relatively slow download taking about 5 minutes on a DSL.

FONGOOL
06-30-2004, 10:45 PM
Yeah, me too! ---but you call that SLOW? 10+ megs per minute seems **** fast to me, and I'm used to being on a T1... :D

FONGOOL
06-30-2004, 11:08 PM
Ooh! I learned something already! I had no idea you could click just above the timeline in layout and get a mini version of the dopesheet... Cool!

MrKnight
07-01-2004, 08:58 AM
Your right, Iím also learning little details. My eyes are starting to burn from reading so much on the monitor. Well, at lease I only have 900 more pages to go.

stuart_tetley
07-01-2004, 01:13 PM
Anyone else still having trouble with this download. I still can't get a thing out of it, but the VT3 downloads in there pop up right away.

Thanks

cagey5
07-01-2004, 01:41 PM
:D Just downloaded the manual from the European site.
A quick look seems to show a much improved manual over previous versions.
A big thumbs up to all the guys that have no doubt worked long and hard on this. Nice job!.

Now all I have to do is figure out who in the UK can do a print out of it. ... Hmmm...Any ideas anyone?

Martin Adams
07-01-2004, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by cagey5
Now all I have to do is figure out who in the UK can do a print out of it. ... Hmmm...Any ideas anyone?

That would be over 3 reams of paper for the full 1,510 pages. Make sure you do it on a duplex printer to save a couple of trees.

rogerrs
07-01-2004, 06:05 PM
Originally posted by Dark-Whisper
What about those of us (like ME) who even when it does arrive in europe will still have difficulty in getting a copy.

66MB on a 56k modem just dos'nt work, especially when the service provider cuts off the connection after 3 hrs (an improvement on previous years were the limit was 2 hrs).

Hmm.. I downloaded it earlier today, and it's only 28MB? I have all the 1510 pages though..

You should install the Opera browser (www.opera.com (http://www.opera.com)). You can easily resume transfers with it, and it is soooo much better than IE too... :cool:

MrKnight
07-01-2004, 06:24 PM
Only 28MB?
Are the pictures in color?

Stormy151
07-01-2004, 09:16 PM
Is anyone else having PROBLEMS getting the new manual? I have no problems downloading it, but at the end I get an error "Cannot open file from [my temp directory path]" If I dig it out of my temp folder, I can't extract the zip file with WinRAR. I get "Unexpected end of archive", and "This file is either a multipart archive or corrupt".

stuart_tetley
07-02-2004, 09:19 AM
I finally got it, after a lot of trouble downloading (such as IE seizing up about 60Mb into the transfer... :(

Thanks to rogerss for advising using the Opera browser, which has the ability to resume failed transfers I managed to complete the download.

The resulting file was 67,863,214 bytes long, and opened with WinZip with no problems at all.

Now I got me some reading to do... :)

cagey5
07-02-2004, 11:59 AM
Strange ... I took four attempts to download from Newtek Europe. But each time it picked up where it left off and I'm using IE. executed without problems too. Just for once I must have been lucky.

art
07-02-2004, 12:18 PM
as far as my understanding of ftp goes, the ftp server must also support resume for it to work. Perhaps im wrong..
Maybe European ftp server does support it (or has it enabled) and U.S. does not.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=http://support.microsoft.com:80/support/kb/articles/Q176/8/98.asp&NoWebContent=1

Martin Adams
07-02-2004, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by cagey5
Strange ... I took four attempts to download from Newtek Europe. But each time it picked up where it left off and I'm using IE. executed without problems too. Just for once I must have been lucky.

That is one of those little "features" that I've noticed in IE. Not sure exactly what determines whether it will resume since IE doesn't say it supports it, but sometimes it will resume and sometimes it wont. Looks like you were lucky that time.

I remember a time (a few years ago) I was downloading a rather large file on a modem. Of course, on the line we had call waiting which made the internet connection disconnect ... I was 95% through so you can imagine the annoyance. I quickly dialed in again and done the minimum to restart the download ... thankfully it continued from where it was.

I don't know why Microsoft don't implement a decent download manager that does support file resume for compatible servers. Its long overdue.

stuart_tetley
07-02-2004, 01:54 PM
Mine probably wouldn't resume because IE actually locked up (as in stopped responding entirely.) It does that often enough (and randomly enough) to be quite annoying...

Tiger
07-02-2004, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by jasonazure
As usual, us European users have to wait longer !

There is no way to access the Lightwave 8 manual through the newtek-europe site, and we can't register on the main US site as it doesn't recognise our serial numbers !

Newtek really needs to sort this sort of thing out before they make announcements as it just serves to alienate it's userbase.

:mad: :mad: :mad:

Hi! Download it here!

http://www.newtek-europe.com/uk/support/download.html