PDA

View Full Version : what 3d colleges did u go to

Jamel
06-29-2004, 04:22 PM
im going to be a senior this year! so i need to find a great college so i can be a computer animator. I am lucky most of u are older than me an can give me ur advise i can't go to an away college so a college in nY would be but any way what colleges did u guys go to? pro's an con's would be great

thanks in advance:D

prospector
06-29-2004, 04:51 PM
6 yrs UHK
5 yrs UTE

not the fastest way to learn but things that are learned...stick in your brain.

digimassa
06-29-2004, 05:04 PM
:cool:

Karl- Franzens Universitšt: got a degree as "Master of Laws" (magister juris)

ACLOBO
06-29-2004, 08:47 PM
Most professionals in the field of CG did not go to any college. The simple fact is that this industry is still relatively new. Most of the big names simply had other backgrounds in story telling or film-making and picked up these new tools and taught themselves.

While I am not a big name in the industry, I teach introductory animation and photoshop for gaming here at a college. Everything I know about animation and photoshop is pretty much self taught. While I do possess two degrees (one in pyschology and one in art), I do not possess a "3d degree." I am 32 years old and when I was learning this stuff, there really weren't too many schools (if any that were teaching this stuff).

While it is handy that so many tech schools and art schools are now jumping on the band-wagon of offering "degrees" in cg animation and such, I think you should beware. I have found that most schools offer a basic understanding of tools. You are not going to learn how to make ILM-quality stuff. You will get your feet wet and it is still really up to you to push yourself and the boundaries as far as learning. Schools can only introduce you to the tools - you have to use them and experiment to get good.

-Adrian

pdrake
06-29-2004, 09:42 PM
HKU

still attending after 14 years.

euge04
06-30-2004, 02:25 PM
I say the money is best spent on nice equipment. I have been teaching myself and just invested in the computers and software. I think about taking classes but the price of one class is the cost of Lightwave itself. I would love to be able to ask questions and it would have sped up my learning but after all this time I think taking a class might be a waste. I think these forums are awesome for learning.

ACLOBO
06-30-2004, 05:09 PM
Yes I second that. The lightwave community is a pretty good one for sharing thoughts and ideas. Learn from those that came before.

Also, you have to consider that some learn better in a classroom environment. So, the structure will be good for some. In the end though, you really need to be able to learn and experiment on your own. You can learn all the tools in the world - but that doesn't really mean you have anything to say or create with them that is worthwhile.

Bottom line is you really need to know yourself as a person and understand that GOOD digital work take a LOT of work. It is not easy and it is not the dream-job for most that brings wealth, fame or fortune. If you can get by doing what you love to do, then you are doing alright.

-Adrian

lesterfoster
07-03-2004, 10:31 AM
I agree with euge04 and ACLOBO. as an example. In Edmonton AB. Canada. DevStudios (http://www.devstudios.com/default.aspx?lid=5) is offering MAYA 3D for something like $23000.00. The program cost less than $3000.00 CA. Just think of what you could do with the other $20000.00!

You are better off spending your money on equipment, software, books, and if you wand, part time night classes.

Jamel
07-04-2004, 11:23 AM
thanks alot for your advise. Id figure you guys would know alot about this stuff. I was looking too see if any one heard or seen schools from this selection http://www.pixar.com/companyinfo/jobs/schools.html

i was looking at the pratt I since it's in NYC which is good. im trying to stay in that area. if theres a better on then pratt there then feel free to speak up

lesterfoster
07-04-2004, 11:51 AM
If you really really REALLY want a career in 3D animation. than maybe school is good for you. I know that for my self. I went to welding school to become a Welder. And if it was not for just 1 or 2 teachers, I don't think I would have made it. These 1 or 2 teachers did everything that they could to help me and they would not let me give up on my self. New I am a Aircraft Welder, and making enough money to pay for my VideoTOASTER with LightWAVE. Some day I hope to be in the movie industry using not only my camera and computer skills. But also using my hand skills as well.

Just think. When James Cameron was making the movie <THE TITANIC> that it was the biggest welding project in the USA at that time.

I think you should look for the right teacher. Before the School. The school is no good if the teacher is just there for himself and not there for you.

Jamel
07-07-2004, 12:36 PM
Do you know of any major computer animation companys other than pixar maybe i can see what shcools they hire from ?

Titus
07-07-2004, 01:22 PM
school of life, gen 97 :).

ACLOBO
07-07-2004, 06:42 PM
One thing you should keep in mind is that some schools pay to be put on "official" looking endorsement lists. If you can't talk with someone directly from said company about where they hire from, lists should be taken with a large grain of thought.

Also, it doesn't matter what school you go to - you need two things to be successful - and these cannot be taught at the best schools. These two things are talent and a crazy work ethic. This industry is very tough. Talent alone will not get you success (some of my students are going to be surprised when they get their grades due to lack of effort to impress me). Hard work will get you somewhere, but both talent and hard work are the winning combo. Even then, there is no guarantee that you are going to land a job at a place like Pixar. Hell, everybody that sees one of their films wants to work there - keep that in mind. A company like pixar has the luxury of taken only the PROVEN few. Getting a piece of paper that says your an artist won't impress. You will need to work and prove yourself in the field for a while before a big company will look at ya.

So, work hard and learn as much as you can. Don't put too much stock in a school or program as they can only show you the door - you have to open it.

-Adrian

lesterfoster
07-07-2004, 07:30 PM
Ha::) Jamel

This guy <ACLOBO> sounds like one of my welding teachers. It sounds like he knows what life is about.

I think that this is something you should look in to.

I would.

Nakia
07-08-2004, 08:21 AM
I just switch schools and major. From Business Administration to Architecture. I working to become an Architect, hopefully this will help with my Lightwave.

Martin Adams
07-08-2004, 09:02 AM
I have recently finished university here in the UK with a degree in Internet Technologies (nothing to do with 3D :( ). Lucky for me, I'm going to be starting a graduate job at IBM in September.

A friend of mine studied Digital Animation at university and learnt the ins and outs of 3D Studio and finished over a year ago. He is now feeling the difficulty in getting a job in 3D.

The universities and colleges can teach you how to use a program. They can set you assignments on certain aspects. What I found with my degree and you'd find with any 3D education is that the work set is designed for the majority. Even if you do the work to get a satisfactory grade, you aren't standing out from the rest. It is up to you to raise the barrier on what your teachers expect from you. Aim to produce better work than your peers. Learn from their work to improve your own.

You really have two options, follow formal education and put your all into it. Remember the fact that they will not make an amazing CG artist/animation out of you ... you will!

Since I really only started doing 3D while I was at university, I took the second option and that is to be self taught. Again, buying the cool software, books, training DVDs wonít make a good animator out of me, not unless I'm prepared to give it my dedication, ambition, time and skill.

Whatever college you decide to go to, use it only as a tool to do what you really want to do. Exploit its facilities as much as you can to produce ever improving work. Be your own worse critic, be prepared to learn, be prepared to put a lot of time into it, be prepared to make mistakes and never give up.

Do some research now on the do's and don't of a show reel and make sure you produce work that you can 'sell your skills' with when you leave college. Iíll give you a comparative example to my course. A lot of software engineering jobs required the knowledge of C++. My course didnít teach it, so my argument was why should we finish university and have to learn something else before we can get a job. Donít fall into that trap with your education. Find out sooner rather than later with regards to what you need to be able to do before you can get a job. Use the time while you are at college to learn these things as well, otherwise youíll find bits missing in your ability and no time to learn it.

Most importantly, enjoy it! I think thatís enough of my ranting and sorry that it didnít really answer your original question.

Jamel
07-08-2004, 05:00 PM
thanks all of u for your advice i think i know what your trying to say (hard work pays of) as long as its not impossible im willing to try hard i just hope its not like a field based on luck:confused: