PDA

View Full Version : Lightwave 8 official launch June 30!

Mikeface
06-29-2004, 04:17 PM
Just got an email from Newtek stating that LW8 is officially being launched tomorrow. The pdf manual will be available online and the paper manual will start shipping too.

Yay!! :) :) :D

Signal to Noise
06-29-2004, 05:25 PM
<rushing home now to check my email!>...
.................................................. .................

Chris S. (Fez)
06-29-2004, 05:38 PM
Does this mean Newtek is shipping 8 to the masses in its present state?

Aquaman
06-29-2004, 05:43 PM
The e-mail doesn't mention anything about an update to [8] so I'm not sure, but here's hoping that there is.

siproductions
06-29-2004, 09:13 PM
I got that email too. Can't wait to see the manual. :)

WilliamVaughan
06-29-2004, 09:17 PM
Get ready for a work out with the manual....it's larger then my yellow pages......the 7.5 manual is tiny in comparison :P

siproductions
06-29-2004, 09:43 PM
Good!!! I read through the 7.5 manual and while it was a ton of info, there was alot of things not covered well. I am really looking forward to it. :D

harlan
06-29-2004, 11:39 PM
Congratulations guys, I'm glad to see it 'officially' shipping.

The site revamp is pretty d.a.m.n. nice as well.

great job

siproductions
06-29-2004, 11:44 PM
Yeah I like the new site. This is great. Thanks. :)

badllarma
06-30-2004, 12:21 AM
So here it goes get to the registration page so I can down load the manual and guess what, yes of course I cannot down load it because Newtek US has not got my email in fact after many attempts it seems I don't exsist on there records at all :mad:

So I cannot download a manual for a product I have bought on the day of it's offical release bloooooody great :(

2 Questions

1) With Newtek only having 2 offices on this planet of ours is there any chance EVER of one passing information to the other?

2) Will Newtek Europe allow me to download the PDF

ALSO your marketing REALLY needs to get itself SORTED!

No sign on CGNetworks, CG Focus, CG Channel,VFXpro FLAY!!!!!!!!
my god with marketing like that who needs competition.

All I can say it's a good job I'm not in charge of marketing at Newtek because the *[email protected]% would really be hitting the fan this morning as far as Europe is concerned this morning no one has even heard of Lightwave 8. Where are the flash banners the sample pictures of work etc.......etc........etc press releases. The only people who Know about this product is those of us who have got it already carry on like that I cannot see how 8 will ever make 9

very poor guys/girls

hazmat777
06-30-2004, 12:57 AM
KICK A**! I am so freakin' pumped I can't believe it! I have been saving for months and ordered my full package including DFX+ on my last pay check last Thursday. UPS tracking says it will be here the day after tomorrow. F***, YEAH! Nice site update, too! I'm suddenly a high-5 n' white guy! :D

harlan
06-30-2004, 01:10 AM
Well I certainly agree on a lot of your points Andy. The email sent from NewTek regarding 8's shipment indicated a bunch of upcoming press appearances - which will hopefully address the marketing issues, but I do think the site needs to reflect a more "marketable" approach. In fact, I was on the NewTek Europe site earlier and commented to myself "isn't it odd that the site for NewTek Europe seems more impressive than the main NewTek site". I'm not trying to be nasty to the NewTek web/marketing guys - I just want to see the product sell!!!!

Original1
06-30-2004, 01:28 AM
It would appear that European Users cannot log in to get the download for the manual since the site will not accept my serial no for my Lightwave Duo upgrade.

Actually guys I took a whole month for me to get my copy of LW 8.

Please stop treating European users as 2nd Class citizens

meatycheesyboy
06-30-2004, 01:46 AM
Originally posted by Original1

Please stop treating European users as 2nd Class citizens

They're not 2nd Class citizens? ;)

Exper
06-30-2004, 01:52 AM
Agree! :mad:

LFGabel
06-30-2004, 01:53 AM
BTW, the link to "Register [8]" is busted, last I checked at 12:30am...

I assume it should go to http://register.newtek.com

Exper
06-30-2004, 02:45 AM
Lee...
European's Serial numbers are unrecognised!

riki
06-30-2004, 02:57 AM
Sweet news, looking forward to getting my hands on a copy of the manual. I hope Newtek are cranking up the hype machine.

Dodgy
06-30-2004, 03:32 AM
Do you mean I have to register again to download the manual? Or is there another site with this? Can someone point me there?

Exper
06-30-2004, 03:38 AM
Originally posted by Dodgy
Can someone point me there? It means:
no pdf manual or download updates for European users at now! :(

Robi
06-30-2004, 03:51 AM
I hope that they have fixed a few bugs, at least the New Scene Editor. :)

vashts
06-30-2004, 04:36 AM
Originally posted by Exper
It means:
no pdf manual or download updates for European users at now! :(

ok, we'll wait (as always).. :(
I hope Proton and Chuck have read those messages and asap they say us something (good).

bye
vash

love&peace

retinajoy
06-30-2004, 05:13 AM
I sent an email to Newtek Europe and they gave me this very prompt reply. So hopefully it will come soon.

---------------
Dear User,

This PDF manual is not yet available. You will receive a email with a direct link to download it as soon as it is available.

Andrew Sweet
06-30-2004, 05:58 AM
A kind US LW'er putting the LW8 pdf on an FTP site, and letting us poor old UK owners d/l it? would be no harm eh!!

Andy

Nemoid
06-30-2004, 07:03 AM
Making the PDF avaiable also for european users is not SO difficult. Isn't it?

We waited for very long, so why not to officially release Lw into a confortanble and noticeable way.

I usually hate to complain, but this kinda behaviour makes users upset.

Exper
06-30-2004, 07:11 AM
It's due to the sailer...
today there's no wind...
maybe faster with someone on the paddles! :D

Red_Oddity
06-30-2004, 07:16 AM
Hmmm...no offence, but Newtek's marketing department should get off it's ***...I know you guys have done a lot, but bare with me...June 30th, no word of LW8 on CGChannel, not on InsideCG, not on 3DTotal, not on DeathFall...enough mentioning of Maya on all sites (OS-X release, Maya Masterclasses, etc...), but nothing, nada, zilch on LW8...

If you really want to sell LW8, make sure people know it's there...no use posting it in these forums, most of the people here pre-ordered and probably have a copy lying about by now...

Anyway...again, no offence ment, just that you should go about selling your product in a somewhat more assertive way...

Maybe i'm posting this too early, since i'm europe and half of the US just got in the office...ahwell...
Oh and on a side note, the LW8 site looks incredibly well done...don't stop there...

Exper
06-30-2004, 07:26 AM
Agree! :(

Where is the Discovery Edition?
There's already someone who asked me about it!
What can I say to them?

WilliamVaughan
06-30-2004, 08:04 AM
Originally posted by Red_Oddity
Hmmm...no offence, but Newtek's marketing department should get off it's ***...[/edit]

You and many others talk about the "Marketing Dept at NewTek" as if it is a no face entity......What you are really saying is ..hey Proton, hey Chuck, yeah etc. get off your ***

No Offence? Think again.

As far as "me" getting off my ***...no luck...I've got it planted here at NewTek working my *** off more hours then many people stay awake in a day....

thekho
06-30-2004, 08:18 AM
Hmmm...no offence, but Newtek's marketing department should get off it's ***...I know you guys have done a lot, but bare with me...June 30th, no word of LW8 on CGChannel, not on InsideCG, not on 3DTotal, not on DeathFall...enough mentioning of Maya on all sites (OS-X release, Maya Masterclasses, etc...), but nothing, nada, zilch on LW8...

3dTotal already mentioning of Lightwave 8 release now :)

btw- Hey, proton. Happy Birthday to you :D

Chuck
06-30-2004, 08:42 AM
For those who missed it, our advance notice to the US Registered user base explicitly stated that we were giving customers advance notice, prior to press notification. The Press release was in fact transmitted to press yesterday, to hundreds of online and print news sources worldwide, for them to publish today. We have follow-up news releases over the next few weeks, and have launched a new set of web pages for our LightWave product section. We've prepared new ads for print and online venues, and you will be seeing those as well in the coming months.

policarpo
06-30-2004, 08:51 AM
You freaks need to chill...

It's been a long road to get here, and now that we are here, we can define the future.

Good work guys! Just ignore the nuts in the peanut butter gallery!

Cheers!:D

Exper
06-30-2004, 08:52 AM
There will be a LW[8] Discovery Edition on NT's site soon?

I already know some people interested in it...
someone wants test LW[8] (before they upgrade from 7.0/7.5)...
some others are interested from scratch!

Please... help... me and yourselves! ;)

kurv
06-30-2004, 08:57 AM
Folks, come on... they are working on it, the email went out just yesterday.

I could understand your complaints more if it was a few weeks here but were talking about less than 24 hours. Let them work out a kink okay ;)

I know for a fact that Proton, Chuck, Donetta Kurtis and everyone else at NewTek in marketing work far more hours that they need to. You notified them of the problem, now give them some time to fix it.

BTW, I think the reference manual is on the CD in RoboHelp format... do you really need that print out this quickly.. :D

Hang in there people okay... They will get this fixed as soon as they possibly can...

----

To William, Chuck, Donetta, Kurtis, Scott and others...

You guys ROCK!!!! Thanks for all the hard work you guys do to bring us the goodies like DFX+ and UV Edit Pro... making the reference manual better and making HTML searchable...

:D

vashts
06-30-2004, 08:57 AM
hi proton,
I think Red_Oddity has exagerated, but..

what do you think about this "feedback" from european users? do you think is it allright about the launch of lightwave[8]? if so, a simple question: why can't europe-people read today the manual? :(

please, don't get hungry, I would you to stop only for a second, thinking about feelings of europe-people in this situation..

vash
love&peace

Original1
06-30-2004, 09:10 AM
William,

I know the sort of hours you guys put in,
and some would argue that its a labour of love, but another way of looking at it is that Newtek is underresourced.

Actually I think the Marketing Department works **** hard, but it falls on the shoulders of too few Key people. So maybe you need some more people.

BTW I love the interview about Captain Scarlet on Newtek Europe

My main point is that there seems to be no way for Europeans (Its not our fault we are residents of Europa) or the folks from Ganymede, Io or Callista to get hold of the PDF at present. Its not an ELE :D

brap
06-30-2004, 09:27 AM
Chuck & Proton, can you comment yet on when a patch or point upgrade will be made available? (To deal with the OGL , Scene Editor & other issues) I didn't see any mention of it in the press release.

regards,

Jamel
06-30-2004, 09:38 AM
hey will a manual be mailed to our homes i want to be able to read it like in the car or when im not on the computer.

NanoGator
06-30-2004, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by proton
You and many others talk about the "Marketing Dept at NewTek" as if it is a no face entity......What you are really saying is ..hey Proton, hey Chuck, yeah etc. get off your ***

No Offence? Think again.

As far as "me" getting off my ***...no luck...I've got it planted here at NewTek working my *** off more hours then many people stay awake in a day....

Take it easy, man. It's not like Newtek's been filling us with a lot of info of what they're up to. You can understand some frustration on the customer side, right?

badllarma
06-30-2004, 10:23 AM
First of all from a personal point of view my comments earlyer were not directed at any individual....Proton if you take offence I'm sorry but I always thought you were classed at Newteks Evangelist not not marketing but hey there you go.

And of course no one can force any web site or publication to show your news. BUT as a European user you(Newtek) all really need to get the communtication between US and Europe (read rest of the world) sorted out.

In every aspect of resent releases we have always been behind from various emails with regards to 8 to the UV Edit Pro gift (I am not classing the actual release of 8 as by the logistics alone there would always be delays), resently surveys Chuck talks about, not sure if anyone got one of those over here? and now no maunal on the day of official release.

On a positive note over here in Europe
Ben Vost kicks arse :) the Advertorials in 3D World have really got people talking about Lightwave and of course Captain Scarlet is really going to be VERY big (us Brits always support our own!). His interviews at Newtek Europe are the just the best (nice to see soooo many people in Europe using Lightwave!)
We see more and more jobs appearing on the likes of Flay and from a personal point of view I see the chance of landing a full time position greatly increased from what it was 12 months ago.

Newtek needs to get the demo of 8 out NOW on every cover of every magazine it can because if they get the employers wanting the skill set from above the teenagers wanting to learn it from below(A tie in with a big game title would really hit the mark in the UK) the collages and traning institutions are then going to use it.
[It's Everywhere] it just need to be every where at the same time!

Red_Oddity
06-30-2004, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by proton

No Offence? Think again.

nonono....i didn't mean it in such a way, and i apologize for putting it in such a harsh way...I really appreciate the efford you guys put into a product, but it would be a shame that only the people who already know and own their copy of LW got wind of an offical LW8 release.

Don't get me wrong, i really like Lightwave and Newtek (and yes, i have been, sort off, one of those LW zealots aswell in the past), but i would like it now and again that a customer knows about your product aswell, rather that the magic word every friggin' nittwit on the street knows (read : Maya)...If you got to hype your product to get there aswell, then by all means do so (Maya isn't as great as every commercial makes you want to believe...)

Anyway, get a days rest, or atleast some sleep, because you clearly need it...and deserve it...

ericsmith
06-30-2004, 10:34 AM
I don't want to bag on anyone personally, but you guys at Newtek have to understand how all of this looks to your customer base.

There are posts on this forum from people who have seen the manual. Other posts from those saying they are currently downloading it. I go to the page where everyone says it is, and it is not there. I pre-ordered last year, and regestered a couple of months ago. I have NEVER received one of these mysterious emails that some have gotten. I have talked to customer sevice reps 4 times to let them know that I haven't been getting these special insider emails, and every time they've assured me that they'll fix the issue.

Many others have expressed the same difficulties with not getting communications from Newtek. I know you guys are working really hard, but from my point of view, this kind of chaos is just plain frustrating, and honestly makes your company look bad. I have to ask myself why the 8 manual is so difficult to get at when the 7 manual has been a free and easy download for anyone who goes to the newtek site. It's obviously done, and several people have downloaded it or are currently downloading it, so what's the deal?

Eric

LFGabel
06-30-2004, 11:13 AM
If you really want to sell LW8, make sure people know it's there...no use posting it in these forums, most of the people here pre-ordered and probably have a copy lying about by now...
I've said that for years. Anyway, for a press release to be effective, it needs to go out a week or two before the date of official release, to get the buzz going. Remember how Worley launched FPrime? They had people in a frenzy, and not just LW people.

Originally posted by Chuck
...The Press release was in fact transmitted to press yesterday, to hundreds of online and print news sources worldwide, for them to publish today.
LW is a fantastic tool, and many others agree, including the press. But to think that the press will drop everything in one day and write/publish about LW 8's release to coincide with Newtek's official LW 8 release is asking a lot.

BTW, I'm not slagging anyone, especially Newtek (I know how thankless this business can be), but just offering some observations.

Jockomo
06-30-2004, 01:08 PM
"Actually I think the Marketing Department works **** hard, but it falls on the shoulders of too few Key people. So maybe you need some more people. "

I agree wholeheartedly with this. I think you guys do a great job with the few people you have. The problem is you need more people.

In my opinion the blame does not lie on Proton or Chuck or any of the worker bees. The blame lies squarely on Tim Jenison and Jim Plant.

I think it is time for someone to realise NewTek is not working out of a garage anymore and we are no longer in Kansas.

Emmanuel
06-30-2004, 01:33 PM
"My main point is that there seems to be no way for Europeans (Its not our fault we are residents of Europa) or the folks from Ganymede, Io or Callista to get hold of the PDF at present. Its not an ELE"

Huh ? I just downloaded it here on Io, via SolNet, at 2,4 TeraBit/second, no problemo.
Great to have the manual now, since the wheather out here on Io is most of the time...unpleasent.

NanoGator
06-30-2004, 02:15 PM
Minor update to Newtek's site. They'll make the manual available at 4pm central.

*grinding teeth*

timjenison
06-30-2004, 03:41 PM
Jim and I are pedalling as fast as we can!! It's not perfect but it's getting better.

lasvideo
06-30-2004, 04:00 PM
You guys must have just had some mountain dews, because my download rocketed to me at T1 speeds. Beautiful job on the manual...

badllarma
06-30-2004, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by timjenison
Jim and I are pedalling as fast as we can!! It's not perfect but it's getting better.

colkai
07-01-2004, 02:43 AM
And now we wait for Europe to send us a link, not that we are imapatient or anything...no..really. :p

Original1
07-01-2004, 08:53 AM
Originally posted by timjenison
Hey Tim,

How come your a newbie member?

IT department only just gave you an internet connection? :D ;)

Keep pedalling

mattclary
07-01-2004, 09:07 AM
Originally posted by ericsmith
I go to the page where everyone says it is, and it is not there.

You should try again. There is a (rather inconspicuous) button near the top left corner that says "Downloads" with no explanation. Click it and it will allow you to get to the manual.

Great job on the manual, by the way, Newtek. I love actually seeing color pictures!

mattclary
07-01-2004, 09:10 AM
Here you go....

Qexit
07-01-2004, 12:58 PM
And now we wait for Europe to send us a link

Newtek Europe version now available :D Only a 27.6MB self-extracting .exe file. Go fetch people !

colkai
07-01-2004, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by Qexit
Newtek Europe version now available :D Only a 27.6MB self-extracting .exe file. Go fetch people !

Fetching, (wish the dog could learn so quickly! ;) )
Well, I am given to understand, the correct response now is...
W00t !!! :p :D

retinajoy
07-01-2004, 02:19 PM
Nice manual. :)

Qexit
07-01-2004, 02:22 PM
OK, first impressions....there's a typo in the contents list !

Layout - Chapter 9: Moidify

Should be 'Modify' :D

Also, wouldn't the Preset Shelf chapter be better placed in the Layout section rather than Modeler ?

Nit-picking mode off ;)

First question: is the printed manual is going to be in black and white or full glorious colour like the PDF ? If it's colour, then my order goes in tomorrow. If B&W, then I'll wait to hear reports on the companion Tutorial manual before investing as £65 would buy me a couple of nice LW8 books off Amazon. :rolleyes:

thekho
07-01-2004, 03:02 PM
Yeah...i got it after 3hrs 35 mins.

Great manual :)

Thanks you, Newtek-Europe :)

Original1
07-01-2004, 03:37 PM

Yeah,

Congrats should go to Ben for speed and efficency,

Way to go guys

Signal to Noise
07-01-2004, 03:38 PM

Hehe! That section was obviously written by a New Yorker. ;)

I have Adobe Writer so I could fix my copy. Hopefully NT will recognize the error of their ways and offer up a revised pdf soon.

tjacobs
07-01-2004, 04:21 PM
Thanks NewTek for coming out with this before SigGraph. I cannot wait it get my hands on the actual manual. The new web help system is great, but I like a paper manual that I take places with me where I do not have a computer.

Titus
07-01-2004, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by tjacobs but I like a paper manual that I take places with me where I do not have a computer. [/B]

Like WC? :D

Jockomo
07-01-2004, 10:23 PM

I tried to convince them to let more of us proof the manual. oh well. Anyone wanna start a pool on how many times we will find "teh" in there?

:p

Signal to Noise
07-01-2004, 11:04 PM
There's also reports popping up of other errors in the manual. Example is in the Effects section some of the screen shots aren't associated with correct captions.
Unless you have Acrobat to fix the errors yourself you're stuck with it until NT provide an update. Not sure how this will affect the printed manual...

Hervé
07-02-2004, 12:22 AM
"teh" is the famous "dislektia" problem of Proton.... he he:D

Exper
07-02-2004, 04:37 AM
No LW[8] Discovery Edition for download at now? :confused:

retinajoy
07-02-2004, 05:54 AM
Originally posted by Exper
No LW[8] Discovery Edition for download at now? :confused:

Maybe Newtek are preparing a special learning edition package with tutorials etc???