PDA

View Full Version : need advise on plug ins

cbreton49
06-29-2004, 02:32 PM
I haven't dealt with the plug ins as of yet, but am about to.
I just got the go ahead to purchase a program that will generate the trees I need, but I don't know what I am looking for! A plug in? Compatable with LW7.5, for MAC and PC - that will create a forest like atmosphere with not so many poly's!!
Can anyone advise?
thanks, Carol

bloontz
06-29-2004, 04:00 PM
I think it depends on what you will be doing. Is it for a still shot or an animation? Will you need to move through them? What amount of realism do you need? There are different techniques depending on what you need, you may not need a plugin if it's for a still with trees in the distance.

cbreton49
06-29-2004, 07:51 PM
I do re-creation of aviation accidents, and many involve trees! It would be for an animation and some hitting the trees. I am pushing for a realistic atmosphere, at least around the accident site. I use DEM's and image mapping (aerial photo's), which looks really good but I do need an area big enough to give the illusion of a forest, or at least a patch of trees, anywhere from 30'-40' to 100'-200' trees. I am trying to make it look as realistic as possible as I work for an expert witness who uses these animations in depositions and courts. I have a MAC OS X - G5 dual proc. dual drive - it can handle quite a lot but when I make individual trees (which have lots of polys) then multiply them by say 100 - it's too much, and render time is important as well. Enough info? Have any suggestions for me?
Thanks, Carol

bloontz
06-30-2004, 08:44 AM
There is a plugin that should work well for you but it unfortunately is PC only. If you can use a PC check this out -

http://www.happy-digital.com/instance.asp

A problem with it is that it renders slower than LW's native renderer, it has a few other limitations but generally works very well for huge amounts of geometry.

If you need to use your mac I guess you could look into creating a level of detail scheme. Hopefully someone with more ideas will chime in.

cbreton49
06-30-2004, 10:06 AM
Yes, I have been to that site and I do thank you for your input, but my main OS is a MAC. I'll keep searching. Thanks again.
Carol