PDA

View Full Version : None tileable texture seamless ?

RorrKonn
03-28-2003, 03:17 AM
Can LW 7.5b make a none tileable texture seamless so it's tileable ?

Red_Oddity
03-28-2003, 03:24 AM
Hmmm...you can cheat by setting your width tile and height tile to 'Mirror' (can be found in you texture layer tab)...

Or, the best looking result is using Photoshop, GIMP, Aura or whatever paint program yopu have and make the image tileable there...

BeeVee
03-28-2003, 04:28 AM
You need to use an image editing package to make an image map seamless, but it's very easy to do:

1. Load your image and apply an offset to it (also known as panning, rolling and wrapping). Try and set the offset so that the image wraps around with the seam in the middle of the picture - if you have a pic that's 1000 pixels wide, set the offset to 500 pixels. Just do a horizontal wrap for the moment.

2. When this is done, your image should have an ugly seam down the middle, just like it does when you render in LightWave! Now, using the (clone brush|clone stamp|stamp brush|pantograph tool) simply pick an area elsewhere in the image and paste it over the seam gradually, so that you conceal it, but don't ruin the overall area.

3. If necessary, repeat this for a vertical offset. Now when you put your image onto an object, you can tile it without fear of seams showing. Getting rid of repeating patterns that show that you are tiling the image map is a different matter and best accomplished by adding details using other image maps, procedurals or gradients that cover up some of the detail that your image map has given.

B

RorrKonn
03-28-2003, 05:33 AM
Thanks a lot for the help.

I have some more questions but I really need to show some .jpgs to explain the questions.

I can not get a .jpg to show up in the preview so I assume I am doing this all wrong.

I Found the image posting directions they seem to link to a URL
but can we post .jpgs from our hard drives and any one know where those directions our ?
http://vbulletin.newtek.com/misc.php?action=bbcode#buttons

BeeVee
03-28-2003, 05:46 AM
Here are a couple I knocked up quickly.

1st image: An image from the library that William Vaughan did on this site:
HTTP://www.palmlibrary.com//podpics/temp030328/newtek_wood_raw04.gif

2nd Image: Just showing the offset, partly worked through with the pantograph tool.
HTTP://www.palmlibrary.com//podpics/temp030328/newtek_wood_raw04BV2.gif

3rd image: A little difficult to see, but if you take this image and use it as a texture you should find there are no seams horizontally.
HTTP://www.palmlibrary.com//podpics/temp030328/newtek_wood_raw04BV3.gif

Hope that helps!

B

Matt
03-28-2003, 05:55 AM
another tip:

after you have applied your texture map, add some more noise layers
on top to break up the uniformity.