PDA

View Full Version : Interior: Room with a view

otacon
06-28-2004, 05:05 PM
Hello. Heres a new interior i just finished. Done in lightwave 7.5. Comments and crits appreciated!

etobiason
06-28-2004, 05:26 PM
Sweet. And LW manuals on the bookcase...

riki
06-28-2004, 06:08 PM
Looks good, the only thing I find a bit distracting is the camera angle/distortion, which is noticable when looking at the verticle lines of the walls.

Matthew Pegg
06-28-2004, 09:50 PM
Looks great! As always I am envious of your abilities when it
comes to lighting a scene for photorealistic stuff.

Two things: Seriously petty scene crits, but to me the
sunlight streaming in from the right doesn't seem natural for the
scene. It gives the impression that two exterior walls are only
metres apart in what appears to be a multi-storey apartment
block ?

Secondly - I'm not sure about the brick alcove. The size and
location just seems unlikely to me. Maybe if it were cement
rendered or something a little more moveable than brick ?

Overall though, I love it !

cheers,
[email protected]

TheWeedKiller
06-28-2004, 11:09 PM
really nice image, but there seems to be something wierd going on on the corner of the wall:

TheWeedKiller
06-28-2004, 11:09 PM
really nice image, but there seems to be something wierd going on on the corner of the wall:
http://www.jasonmerchant.com/error.jpg

Hervé
06-28-2004, 11:32 PM
stop Posting photos !:D ;)

ingo
06-29-2004, 03:00 AM
Nice rendering, as usual with interpolated raydiosity ? I agree with the above comments, it looks like the appartment block is only 3 meters wide. And you should hold the camera horizontal, camera height and eyepoint height the same, that way you avoid that strange falling vertical lines. Any info about size and rendertimes ??

marble_sheep
06-29-2004, 08:55 AM
I know this is asked every time you post one of these, but could you share your lighting/radiosity setup? These are truly incredible, by the way. Your attention to detail is awesome. I won't nit-pick, since the obvious ones have already been mentioned.

otacon
06-29-2004, 09:59 AM
Thanks for the crits. I should have spent more time on the brick wall, so thats my fault it looks crappy. And the lower corner isnt messed up, thats just the light hitting it from the windows on the other wall. It may seem strange to have the walls not very far apart, but i had a reference image that had the same setup. The lighting is interpolated radiosity, the same settings as usual. Render time was 2.5 hours with low anti-aliasing. Heres the light setup and wireframe. There is a spotlight that you cant see in the screen grab that is outside and has 110% intensity.

Zarathustra
06-29-2004, 10:00 AM
Enough already, dude. My fingers are tired typing your praise.;)

otacon
06-29-2004, 10:00 AM
And heres the wire.

adrian
06-30-2004, 02:44 AM
The only thing for me is that the black lampshade is a little too dark - it looks too flat. Other than that awesome render.

Adrian.

p_de_clerck
07-03-2004, 09:16 AM
still very impressive.
The look and feel is very nice
p.

Salv8or
07-03-2004, 09:38 AM
mean lookin.. The only thing that caught my eye was the black lampshade adrian mentioned.
Otherways i think it looks awsome.

Wave away.

Matt
07-03-2004, 09:39 AM
Otacon I'm not going to rest until I can produce interior images like this now!

Excellent work as usual!

I have a question though - don't you ever run into problems with area lights not emitting light along their edges? I found that I ended up with dark 'rims' - admittedly I wasn't using any kind of radiosity (it was a while ago). Do you find that radiosity 'fills in' these dark areas?

Cheers
Matt

otacon
07-03-2004, 01:09 PM
Thanks. I have noticed that area lights dont emit much light around the edges, but the radiosity does help to fill in that space. Sometimes they still leave dark areas on the walls, so i try and leave a good amount of space between the edges of the light and the walls. That seems to work pretty well.

object
07-07-2004, 03:59 PM
Looks great, thanks for the behind the scenes screen shots.