PDA

View Full Version : S.A.B.R.E node based texture editor, it ROCKS!!!

hairy_llama
06-28-2004, 02:53 PM
I am working on a project that I could not pull off with LW's standard texture editor... I got SABRE(its free!)

http://kaniserver.homeip.net/%7Ekonoha/psycho/

... all I can say is ****.. the power you have with a node based editor is incredible.
Newtek really should incorperate it.
Are there any other happy users of this wonderfull plug?
I'm still very new to the node based texture thing, and there are
some really bad english docs that don't help much...
anyone has some advanced textures done with SABRE and cares to share?

Is Lambert the basic shading like LW's diffuse?

Do I need to put my bump normal output through Lambert(and phong and all the other shaders)
to get it to work? Does my Color texture also need to run through Lambert or do I mix it somehow?

When adding specularity, phong for example,
What mix do I use with Lambert? Add, Mix, Multiply etc.

Also, what would anisotropic be used for? The only thing I can think of is brushed metal...

Thanks for any tips!

bloontz
06-28-2004, 03:15 PM
It's not free, you can use up to 10 nodes I believe in the unregistered version from what I recall. I think it comes to about 50 bucks US to register it. I tried it when it first came out and it was very cool but crashed a lot. Has that improved?

hairy_llama
06-28-2004, 04:04 PM
So far it seems pretty stable.
I did not realize you could only use 10 nodes. Still it is well worth $50

bloontz
06-28-2004, 04:44 PM
It's definitely a bargain at 50$.

I checked out the current docs and this is what they say regarding the unregistered version-

Limit function
Number to be able to make a node
Cannot make a node more than 5.

Copy & paste function
Copy & paste function is not usable.

Shelf function
Shelf function is not usable.

Macro node
Making and editing of a macro node are not possible.

I would like to see some better docs for this thing. I've used node based shading systems before but they all work a bit differently. I also wonder if he is still developing it.

Dodgy
06-28-2004, 05:04 PM
Have you looked at the stray bone thing. It's kind of an Ik system, which works on two bones at a time, out of however many bones you add it to. Very interesting...

Fausto
06-28-2004, 11:11 PM
Is it just me? I find these things less than intuitive. I remember Cinema's version of this and I always found it difficult to grasp. Could someone shed some light on this process Please!

hairy_llama
06-29-2004, 09:33 AM
"Is it just me? I find these things less than intuitive."

Once you grasp it it makes total sense and is way more powerfull than the native LW way. Once I feel comfortable with it I might write a couple of tuts as there do not seem to be any out there.

shermanlu
06-29-2004, 10:40 AM
here's the menu you might wanna check it out...

http://kaniserver.homeip.net/~konoha/psycho/data/sabre_manual/indexE.html