PDA

View Full Version : popping audio problems

dauntless
03-27-2003, 11:25 PM
I have experienced the exact same popping audio that Hartley describes in his post, and have been trying to figure out the cause of the problem. I took the cover off the CPU, and held a fan near the capture card. When I did this, he popping immediately stopped. When I remove the fan, after several seconds, the popping returned. I suspect that this might be a heat problem. Anyone else encounter anything like this?

I have a P4 3 GHz, ASUS motherboard P4t533C, scsi array, firewire card, IDE drives, gig of RAM, Panasonic DVD burner.

I have read a bunch of posts on this topic on other forums, and so far, no one has indicated a definitive cause or solution. I would appreciate any feedback/input anyone can provide. Please email me at [email protected] or call me at 408-839-1330. I'll be up late as I'm on deadline.

Thanks,

Chris

JReble
03-28-2003, 01:15 PM
I had intermittant popping audio problems for a long time myself. You probably read a few of my posts somewhere because I tried everything for at least 6 months to get rid of it. In my case, I finally identified the issue with total certainty. I'm not saying you couldn't be having a different problem.

My problem was my video drives. The drives would create pops that would occur randomly during playback or record and they could be recorded when writing to disk. I had 4 fujitsu SCSI's and replaced them with 4 Seagates and never had the problem again. I finally began to suspect the video drives after recording several clips to my system drive to find there were no pops on record or playback. You should also check into the issue with sentinel drivers that was mentioned in the old tech. faq.

Pete Draves
03-29-2003, 09:54 AM
check to see if your mass storage device is shating an IRQ with the VT2.

Goi to device manager and show by connection and show irq's.
to change irq move storage controller to a new slot (64bit)

also see if your toaster is in a slot that does not share any irq with another device.

pci32 #2 in the supermicro p4dce or p4dce+

Pete

dauntless
03-29-2003, 10:07 AM
Just wanted to let everyone know that I have already found the source of my problem, and it was the exact same source of Hartley's problem, as he discovered yesterday after we talked on the phone:

Our capture cards are overheating, and we will have to have Newtek provide us new cards. We know this because when each of us held a small fan over the cards when the CPU was open, the popping immediately stopped. When we pull the fans back, the popping returns. In addition, the popping worsens the longer the system is on. When we turn the system off for 20 minutes or so, and then start it up again, the popping doesn't begin until maybe 15 minutes later. This again supports a heat-related cause.

The good news is that by laying the fan on top of the CPU, near the card, I was able to capture all remaining footage without hearing the popping. And Hartley was able to do a 2 hour live switch without popping as well, by using a fan.

I know that many other Toaster owners have had this problem, and perhaps the problems are not always caused by overheating...But I'll bet that much of time, this is EXACTLY the cause.

SBowie
03-29-2003, 10:30 AM
That's quite informative, thanks. It makes the case for adequate attention to system ventilation quite efectively.

Scott Bates
03-29-2003, 02:13 PM
Our capture cards are overheating, and we will have to have Newtek provide us new cards.
You can try, but given that you've shown that providing adequate ventilation cures the problem their response is probably going to be that you need to install additional fans in the boxes. If you're getting enough heat buildup to cause the audio problems you're likely to have heat-related problems show up with other components. Like never having "enough" memory, drive space or money, you can never have too much air moving through the computer.

Kurt_Henning
03-31-2003, 10:29 PM
In my experience my problems have been with mp3 audio files crackling like jiffy pop.

Or I can have problems by using media player and then later using t2.

I try to always use waves with the t2 and have had much better luck

YMMV

jcupp
04-02-2003, 03:25 PM
Just had a call today from a customer who built his own machine with exactly the same issue with overheating. Our turnkey systems with half a dozen fans never have a cooling problem.

A big case with lots of fans is a good thing.

dauntless
04-02-2003, 03:36 PM
half a dozen fans? Golly, why not put a dozen fans in there for good measure. Can you hear the audio in the edit over the fans or do you keep the box in another room. I have two huge fans in the box. one is blowing right on the VT2. Only the 8in fan laying on the open box is doing the trick. Thanks for the feedback guys. I love the way all of you support the new oeners like me.

chris

Pete Draves
04-02-2003, 03:55 PM
The NewTek Fan Club or...
The "hover-mother" board

Pete

jcupp
04-02-2003, 06:27 PM
Cube Server Case:
Two in power supply
Two cooling up to 15 drives
One cooling cards
One or Two CPU fans
Plus our new case also has provisions for a second card cooling fan

It's best not to sit these on the desk at ear level, but we don't have heat related failures either.

SBowie
04-02-2003, 07:12 PM
Originally posted by dauntless
half a dozen fans? Golly, why not put a dozen fans in there for good measure. Can you hear the audio in the edit over the fans or do you keep the box in another room. I have two huge fans in the box. one is blowing right on the VT2. Only the 8in fan laying on the open box is doing the trick. Thanks for the feedback guys. I love the way all of you support the new oeners like me.

chris An 8" fan shouldn't be necessary, obviously - nonetheless, the Toaster card can get 'toasty', there's no doubt about it. Jam in a bunch of drives, and 2 fans is pretty minimalist. My base systems have two good size fans blowing over the stripeset and two more cooling the mobo and Toaster card. And these spacious aluminum cases with plenty of airflow already have a cooling advantage over steel.

You may have well some other issue, but the advice you're getting here isn't bad, nor is it meant to be dismissive of your problems Chris.

Pete Draves
04-02-2003, 07:27 PM
We have been using the lian-Li cases
2 fans in front to cool drive array
1 horizontal fan for each xeon (these also cool the chipsets and memory.
on fan in power supply and 2 fans in back of case
these are the fans that come with the case and cpu's

We just recently had on of the new T2 boards that after 15 min showed the audio pulseing problems, but the toaster card was way hotter to the touch than it should have been. We put a differant toaster card in it ran cool an all worked ok.

my old toaster card (T1) converted runs very cool

these t2 cards ar no digisuite cards that need all sorts of cooling to run It seems to be a bad batch of chips or something like that.

Pete

hartley
04-18-2003, 12:11 PM
New card fixed my problem, goodbye to the box fan!

Hartley