PDA

View Full Version : We need a 16-bit grayscale Tiff importer!

kfinla
06-28-2004, 10:45 AM
Ive emailed lynx3d, who wrote the 16bit (32) importer for WIN, and he's talked to a guy thats ported things for him to mac. But no progress. There they need a TiffLIB file for mac i beleive.

anyways if anyone is capable of writting such a plugin, it would be vary valued to all the mac zbrush users.

Unfortunatley Lightwave seems to be least friendly app to use with zbrush.. since it dosent natively take 16 bit grayscale images, theres no subpixel displacement suppport.

Anyways hopefully, Newtek, Worleylabs, or some saint programmer can make these two great programs communicate better. Ecspecially on the mac side.

my 2 cents.

bloontz
06-28-2004, 11:19 AM
I haven't tested it completely but I believe quicktime supports 16 tiff greyscales and I would imagine lightwave supports quicktime supported formats. I was able to import a 16 bit greyscale tiff on the mac by changing the file extension to tiff (with two fs). It seemed to maintain the 16 bits, though I'm not positive.

kfinla
06-28-2004, 11:26 AM
i just did a quick test.. and by good ive got a 32 bit grayscale image in LW now.. just change it to TIFF , NOT tif. ill have to test out some zbrush files now... now if only we had sub-pixel displacement

kfinla
07-02-2004, 11:53 AM
Apparently i was over zelus being able to get tiffs to come into LW at 16+ bits (32)

ive dont some recent tests with zbrush demo files and LW with some success.

The success has been with an 8 BIT, BMP file on the sword.

kfinla
07-02-2004, 11:56 AM
I thought after seein LW ppl have good results, that i should try again. And thta maybe id messed up the Tif file in my attemps in photoshop etc to get it into LW.

but no dice.. I even swapped the sword and its image with the head and its disp image.. nope.

so im back to the conclusion that MAC LW cannot interbret grayscale images over 8 bit.. properly. looks clipped to me.. but im open to any suggestions.

Beamtracer
07-02-2004, 09:07 PM
Originally posted by bloontz
quicktime supports 16 tiff greyscales and I would imagine lightwave supports quicktime supported formats. Yes, Quicktime can display 16bpc images. Mac OS X can display 16bpc images natively from the Finder, or with the Preview application.

We come undone because Lightwave doesn't support 16bpc Quicktime (it only takes 8bpc Quicktime). Lightwave's usefulness has been diminished because of this lack of image support. I've requested this feature for years, to no avail. I've now given up.

It's completely ridiculous that we can view 16bpc Tiffs and PSDs from the operating system, but we can't use these images in Lightwave.

I think Newtek either has no idea of what is required for film & television, or wants to avoid those markets and make Lightwave a low-end app for amateur use only.

kfinla
07-02-2004, 09:32 PM
I got the remedy from a zbrush forum.. the map apparently had to be vertically flipped.. the UV' s or (GUV's) zbrush make are wierd, i would of never thought flipping them would work.. but since the GUVS, make like graph paper uv's anything can happen.. voila.. no sub-pixel displacemnt.. but acceptable..

Lynx3d
07-03-2004, 03:31 AM
Hm still looks to me like it has been converted to 8bit, i think it should come out smoother, but i may be wrong.
Does it look any different when you convert it to 8bit in PS and use that?

Some libraries decode RGBA as default, no matter of the input. They assume you want to view it in RGBA anyway...if you can enable the Alpha Channel for the image in Image Editor it definitely is no 32bit FP image but 8bit RGBA.