PDA

View Full Version : Captain Scarlet trailer on NewTek Europe!

Aegis
06-28-2004, 09:07 AM
...along with the full interview from 3D World magazine :D http://www.newtek-europe.com/uk/community/lightwave/thornton/1.html

BeeVee
06-28-2004, 09:12 AM
It's actually even fuller! There are a couple more questions in there and there are slightly more detail to some of the answers... :)

B
PS. the trailer is exclusive to us... :)

Bytehawk
06-28-2004, 09:41 AM
kewl trailer. Congrats on a really great interview.

Now we're able to see what you guys have been up to lately.

have been a big fan of Ron's work ever since his model building days.

Emmanuel
06-28-2004, 12:19 PM
Totally kick-***, or as Proton would put it: killer !!
Thanks for that story !

BeeVee
06-29-2004, 02:13 AM
Wouldn't he say: "Holy crap!" or something similar? :)

B

CAClark
06-29-2004, 06:10 AM
... or holy killer crap!

There is even better to come than in the trailer too ;-)

Cheers!

BeeVee
06-29-2004, 07:21 AM
Were you a fan of the original series Craig? How does this one compare? I'm really sad that the SPV has been retired, but by all accounts the replacement vehicle sounds pretty groovy...

B

cresshead
06-29-2004, 12:42 PM
looks like the next "roughtnecks"..a new benchmark show for 2004...lightwave leads the way..again!

very nice models even at this early stage it looks to be a quality show not simply "knocking them out" with no real concern for ATD like some other shows...the artist really care and put the effort in for sure.

well done and keep the quality flowing!

steve g

Emmanuel
06-29-2004, 01:36 PM
Don't want to nitpick, but there are only two things that I would have changed: 1)Its really looking a bit too similiar to Roughnecks, which adds a little lack of originality 2)The lighting could use more contrast more dark/bright differences

But when I start to nitpick that, everything else is top notch.

lesterfoster
06-29-2004, 06:50 PM
Good cartoon I like the quote: Direct real time Mocap input. Designer brain scan interface... Plug LW into the designer's skull, and think the work to be done... and it will!..

Can I see this cartoon in Canada?

The demo video looks good and I wish I was good enough to do this type of stuff.

archiea
06-30-2004, 01:06 AM
I think it looks very entertaining....

My fear is just the aesthetics of animation is getting lost with Mocap...

Ron mentions in his article that animation done in the traditional way inhibits a photoreal show.. I disagree, I believe the effort to produce imaginative animation, especially char animation, has been inhibited by mocap as a solution.....

yes he is correct that you can 'get away" with more in traditional animation as he stated in his example. However I believe that an interpretive art has been lost in amimation, especially with 3D presenting mocap characters as "animation".

yes, technically mocap gives you the real motions along with allof the subtleties of real life.. however it just doesn't look right, nor does it fit...

From Capt scarlet to final fantasy to Polar Express, mocap has sucked the air out of my sails. meanwhile i can watch Pixar's The Incredibles trailer over and over and over and over again....

because thats art.....

I work at a major animation studio and I witness a miricle today, if by coincidense. Some people were reviewing some scenes w/ effect animation. One with a vortex of dust and smoke with lightning, another of a character getting spashed by liquid. neither used simulations in the traditional sense... from what i gathered, the artist (a former 2D FX animator) drew the animation he desired over the flipbook of the animation and used that as a guide to "sculpt" the 3d to look the way it did...

It just fit. it fit better than any sim-laden FX from Shrek or any other equivalent CG show...

I believe the japanese have cornered the market on producing hip, adult/action (meaning non kiddie pixar style) animation that is not... real... I believe the japanes have master the art of compressing and expanding time for a dramatic FX. Born outta of the panels of manga and necessity of the economics of imbetweening, anime has turned its "infeirority" into an artform...
they have gon so far as to animate their 3D BG and vehicles on 2's to better integrate them w/ the cell animation....

I guess the best example would be film's 24/25fps compared to video's 60/50 fps.... video looks smoother, but film creates an impressionistic view of motion that isn't real, but isn't inferior aesthetically neither....

this is why sometimes a painter's lose sketch is more interesting than his refined painting....

CAClark
06-30-2004, 02:49 AM
Hey Ben..... I rarely saw the original, but in all honesty, I liked the design sides of the stuff but never really got in to the puppet shows, so in that respect, the new scarlet is a vast improvement alone.

On the subject of Mocap v Traditional animation, I would imagine time constraint is the biggest issue, and probably makes mocap the only sensible way to go for the majority of character animation. I'm not an animator here though, I only model and rig, so I could be totally wrong.

Cheers!

archiea
06-30-2004, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by CAClark

On the subject of Mocap v Traditional animation, I would imagine time constraint is the biggest issue, and probably makes mocap the only sensible way to go for the majority of character animation. I'm not an animator here though, I only model and rig, so I could be totally wrong.

Cheers!

On a show clike Scarlet, you are right, I'm sure. But shows like Polar express or even Final fantasy.. its more of a choice...

lesterfoster
07-04-2004, 01:15 PM
was lightwave used in the making of the new movie Thunderbirds?

http://www.fanderson.org.uk/images/tb04tmo.jpeg

Thunderbirds (http://www.fanderson.org.uk/news.html#Charity Premiere)