PDA

View Full Version : LW 8 *still* not released

Emmanuel
06-28-2004, 05:34 AM
Okay, erm, Max 7 was just announced for Siggraph, so where is LightWave 8 ?
I mean, "inofficially released" since april, its still hasn't been *released* and I for one wouldn't even bet on Siggraph.
"When its done" is okay for Doom 3, but LW....?
How long can it take to write manuals, and why didn't it take so long with any pre-8 releases ?
Jeez, the manuals better be extraordinary
:mad:

Dodgy
06-28-2004, 07:04 AM
Maybe they're fixing all the bugs users reported when 8 was released to us, so the official release is even better?

jin choung
06-28-2004, 10:51 PM
in which case it's a pretty raw deal for the preorder folks... them having to play the part of paying beta testers and all....

:)

better that they're just plain late.

i have a feeling they're just tying up all the loose ends with the third party folks to figure out what's in, what's out, and what deals expire and which don't.

it can't possibly be the manuals as they say. printing simply can't take this long (even with manually refilling inkjet cartridges to save) and there's simply no way that the WRITING of the manuals would reflect qualitatively what would be commensurate to this kinda delay.

figure they'll probably try to hold it and pop their load at siggraph. that would be the predictable thing.

jin

Chuck
06-29-2004, 06:51 PM
Originally posted by jin choung
it can't possibly be the manuals as they say. printing simply can't take this long (even with manually refilling inkjet cartridges to save) and there's simply no way that the WRITING of the manuals would reflect qualitatively what would be commensurate to this kinda delay.

There are no words for how incorrect you are about this. ;)

Yes, while we basically had complete documentation in the form of the help file, there were a lot of stages of writing, editing for grammar and for the more formal tone that a reference manual should have, rewriting, technical editing, text formatting specifications and the conforming of 1400+ pages, layout, review, correction and further revision, index and ToC generation, and lastly printing which had to transpire in order to end up with printed manuals in hand.

Andyjaggy
06-29-2004, 07:23 PM
If you have ever worked on a publication you would know that Chuch is right on that one, and in case you didn't get the email LW8 is officially shipping tommorow 6-30!!!!!

jin choung
06-29-2004, 09:04 PM
well...

me right stuff alla time and never have i big trouble with formul dixion... me say newtek writer must be doody head. ha ha huh! me laugh hard.

hope manyul writed good chuch!

jin

Chuck
06-30-2004, 08:55 AM
Yes, all of us here at NewTek involved in writing and editing the manual are happy to hear that we are doodyheads! ;)

Most especially Proton and me, I am sure. I think we need to get T-shirts that say that:

me aM
neWteK
wRitRe
dOOdyhaEd

:)

Emmanuel
06-30-2004, 01:21 PM
I stand corrected.
I think the official LW8 website with the LightWave-layout (tabs, buttons) looks really, really great.
Finally, "it's done" :)

Now where is that point release (ducking) ?:D