PDA

View Full Version : 3d world review

d1wojo
06-27-2004, 03:27 PM
I got issue 53 and it has a review of LW8, range of features they gave a 7 and value for money an 8, a quote from the review, " newtek has proved it can deliver, although version 8 is probably going to divide users"
They did point out the new soft and hard body FX and questioned the cloth fx to produce anything but simple cartoony clothing. They pointed out that the editFx is a fantastically useful feature.
Thier final point is that before to long a total rewrite of Lw from the bottom up will be needed to move the package forward.

Little info for everyone...

I personally use to use Truesapce 5 and then got LW7.5 about a year ago and I simply love it......

hrgiger
06-27-2004, 03:49 PM
Coming from Truespace, I can understand that myself....

I would only partially agree with the review of the cloth. Perhaps they didn't take under consideration the power of the meta link plug in which allows you to run your simulation on a lo poly object and then apply it to a high poly one.

d1wojo
06-27-2004, 04:23 PM
It says nothing about the feature you just talked about giger

Hervé
06-28-2004, 12:47 AM
Hello HGiger, do U know IF there is any possibilities to somehow bake the Hardlink result, and then remove the hardlink plug....:confused:

Thanks
Later
Hervé

Dodgy
06-28-2004, 02:51 AM
Herve, you can use clothFX with Basic>Fix set to <all> and then calculate it, then save out an .mdd file which is the baked hardlinked motion. You might have to offset the playback (LW seems to lag the calculation a couple of frames, this is a bug IMHO) by -2 to get it to play correctly, but it works.

No matter which plugin I use, SoftFX, ClothFX or MDscan (with the relevant parameter set so there's no physics on it), the baking always seems to lag a couple of frames. NT neds to look at this.

hrgiger
06-28-2004, 02:00 PM
I'm glad Dodgy responded because I wasn't sure. I knew you could save out an mdd file like you could with motion designer, but I wasn't sure how it translated from lo to high poly object.

Hervé
06-28-2004, 02:15 PM
He he really nice Dodgy, you're a master..... aaahh and you too HGiger !

Thanks I'll try that !

this is what I am doing righ now... he he:D

http://users.lu.coditel.net/topixel/

tell me if it loads on your browser....;)

LW rocks...

lesterfoster
06-28-2004, 06:09 PM
Hi Dlwojo.

This look like good news to me. Glad to hear good stuff about LW. I started my 3D stuff with ProtoCAD 3D. Any one remember this program. It is just like LW's Modeler. It was a DOS program that could run on an old XT 8088 computer.. I was running it on a 386 computer at that time.

After that I switched to truespace 3 and 5. but I was always a LightWAVE fan from the amega days. The only reason that I did not invest in to it back than was because the toaster was a Amega program. So invested in to DPS EditBAY. And made lots of good video with it but always wished it was a VideoTOASTER. It was a good system.

But now that the Toaster with LightWAVE has moved to the PC, that is what I use now. And I am loving it..! I think that the best part of my VideoTOASTER is LightWAVE.

Anyone remember ProtoCAD and do you know if it was ever updated to windows?. Was ProtoCAD the beginings of LightWAVE Modeler? As it is so much like LW's Modeler.. It looked the same and worked the same.:p

Hervé
06-28-2004, 11:10 PM
I'm glad to hear that.....:D