PDA

View Full Version : Audio problems

hartley
03-27-2003, 10:06 PM
Running build 3890 on Windows 2000 SP3. I am continuing to have constant audio crackling/popping/noise on my audio output. Newtek has been going the extra mile but is yet to resolve the issue. We have been through many attempts including: updating windows media player, update directX, NEW SX-8, and clean install of system. Tonight they helped me "minimize" the problem. To get to this point in audio mixer we had to maximize the level of toaster in, toaster out, and my audio input. At this point the crackeling noise was at a minimum, but after reviewing my tape from the evening it is still unacceptable. I know others out there can not be running audio this way. I'm willing to try almost anything at this point just to have clean audio tomorrow night.

Hartley Grimm

dauntless
03-27-2003, 10:53 PM
I am having the exact same problem, and have no idea what is causing it OR how to fix it. I am a new VT2 user, so I'm hoping that there is some simple way to fix. Can you call me asap so we can help each other troubleshoot the problem? I'm in California, and I'll be working very late tonight. Please call me on my cell phone at 408-839-1330 asap, or email me at [email protected] and give me your phone number so I can call you. I've got a big deadline I'm up against, and really need to solve the problem asap. And anyone else out there who might be able to help, please call or email me:)

Thanks,

Chris

dauntless
03-28-2003, 12:18 AM
I discovered something very odd. I took the cover off the CPU, and I held a fan near the capture card. With the fan on, the popping stops. When I pull the fan away, after several seconds, the popping returns. So I think it may be a heat problem. Not quite sure what the "solution" will be, but I thought that you might find this interesting. Please email or call me to discuss asap.

408-839-1330 or [email protected]

Thanks,

Chris

jcupp
03-28-2003, 08:27 AM
I'd suggest running the things back to the dealer and having him try swapping out the Toaster card. Both you guys sound like you have bad cards to me.

hartley
03-28-2003, 08:56 AM
Thanks for the suggestion, I'm going to try and swap the card out, but unfortunately I do not have a dealer nearby (when I searched one didn't even come up in ohio...) Hopefully i'll find someone who can make the marathon drive and pick one up in time for show time tonight!! Any other ideas that we can try in the meantime??

Hartley

jcupp
03-28-2003, 09:51 AM
There are no dealers in Ohio, we cover western and central Ohio. Jim Davis probably is closer for eastern Ohio.

I haven't seen this particular issue before so I'd try the usual things like swap to a different slot, make sure there isn't stray software running on the machine.

Verify that the problem isn't digital clipping by playing back an audio file ripped from a commercial cd (be sure all the level controls in the Toaster are at default). I see lots of people recording too hot into the Toaster and risk clipping which sounds like 'crackling and popping'.

Good luck

hartley
03-28-2003, 11:42 PM
Thank you everyone for all the suggestions. Everything was tried, and the fan fix by Chris took care of everything. By removing case and running a small personal fan directly on the toaster card audio was fine the entire night. Obviously not a long term solution, but took care of me for one night.

We do however need to take care of this no dealers in ohio thing.

Hartley